{SOLVED} Dual monitor setting up

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Giroscopic

{SOLVED} Dual monitor setting up

Post by Giroscopic »

So, i currently have my laptop, a 11,6 inch one. It has an HDMI port. I connect my laptop to a TV via HDMI port.

The relative position i am looking for is.
TV screen on top, laptop screen on the bottom.

I downloaded a program named arander to this end, and i can successfully get my TV on top. Here is the config file im using for arandr.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output VGA-0 --off --output LVDS --mode 1366x768 --pos 264x1080 --rotate normal --output HDMI-0 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal
The problem im having, is that as soon as i apply the setting, the TV steals the primary monitor configuration, leaving the panel from Xfce in the TV, while i actually want all the primary tools on my laptop.

EDIT: Also, on the secondary montir, the maximized windows, take all width of the monitor, but about 2/3 of the vertical space, leaving only the wallpaper on the 1/3 bottom of the screen.

I am using LMDE 12 xfce, clean install.

ill apreciate any help or documentation reference anyone can provide.
Cheers
Giro
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jp734

Re: Dual monitor setting up

Post by jp734 »

I am not an expert on xrandr program but I was trying to break your command down and I do have a few question about it myself.

"xrandr --output VGA-0 --off --output LVDS --mode 1366x768 --pos 264x1080 --rotate normal --output HDMI-0 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal"

For your laptop screen:
--output VGA-0 --off --output LVDS --mode 1366x768 --pos 264x1080 --rotate normal
* why the --off option
* your res is set to 1366x768 but the --pos is 264x1080. Isn't this out of range?

Your tv --pos is 0x0 and I think it should be the same way with your laptop screen.

If you want to give that a try, I am interested to know the result.
Giroscopic

Post by Giroscopic »

for what i understand is this.

--output VGA-0 --off
refers to the vga output the laptop has, which is not conected rigth now, hence , its off

--output LVDS --mode 1366x768 --pos 264x1080 --rotate normal
this refers to my laptop screen, its resolution, and the pos means it starts 264 pixels to the right, and 1080 pixels to the bottom. I think this is the case because the monitor sits at 1920 x 1080 so i know that the laptop monitor starts exactly where the bottom of the TV ends. The 264 pixels is there to let the manager know, since laptop screen is that much smaller, to CENTER it respect to the TV.

The config is ok and it works, but i have the issue that the menu panel is stolen by the monitor starting in the 0x0 pixel position. (Starts upper left and pixels count to the right, and to the bottom) i guess a screenschot of the arandr screen is worth more than all this text, but i dunno how to upload it here.

BTW i just tried what you said, and got the config:
--output LVDS --mode 1366x768 --pos 0x1080 --rotate normal

and as predicted my laptop is no longer centered respect the tv, but both screens start at the very left, and the very right of the laptop is about a little more than the middle of the TV.

(im learning this with your questions, makes me think and try stuff out, thanks!(
Giroscopic

Post by Giroscopic »

Issue solved, someone posted the solution, then his post disapeared. not sure why.

When dual monitors enabled, panel, preferences, output. Select Desired monitor as fixed, not automatic.

With this, i got my panel where i want it to be at all times

Thanks a lot for the user who posted and got deleted.
jjaythomas

Re: {SOLVED} Dual monitor setting up

Post by jjaythomas »

Sorry deleted my own post

wasn't working on mine. till reboot(?)
was...

Once set up in arandr then make sure both activated set in settings>display
Panel will know (with 2 active monitors) in it't setting 'Output location'
Wallpaper also has separate tabs for each monitor under setting>desktop
under settings>window tweaks can set where to display new window (under mouse pointer) if not corect screen.

J.Jay

edit (just found out :oops: ) xinerama was/is now a extension rolled into xconf itself! :oops:

Return to “Xfce”