New to Mint, Question on Clam Anti Virus

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
draceena

New to Mint, Question on Clam Anti Virus

Post by draceena »

Hi!

After reading a favorable review on PCMechanic I decided to give Mint a try. I had been using Ubuntu for around 2 weeks or so in VirtualBox (great program by the way) and although I liked Ubuntu alot I thought that it should be a bit easier to use (specifically in the multi-media department).

I downloaded Mint and fired up a new VirtulBox and WOW! This is one amazing Linux Distro! All my multi-mediafiles worked right away! Heck, everything just seems to work smoother and easier than Ubuntu.

The only problem (and a small one at that) is when I went to the MintInstall and downloaded the Clam Antivirus and installed it, there was no link created for it in the Menu. I had to use Synaptic to download and install ClamTK for a menu selection to finally appear and then I also had to download and install an additional file for the virus database to work (I can't remember the name of this file at the moment).

I would think that the Clam install supplied by MintInstall should have all these files packaged together for easier end-user installation but I wasn't sure where to place this suggestion/problem/

Again, congrats on a great Linux distro!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: New to Mint, Question on Clam Anti Virus

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint
and thanks for kind words
You really don't need antivirus but of course you need to be observant.....
As far as I know the ClamAV in mintInstall works OK but something like you describe has been mentioned before so it may be some problem with some version.
You don't have to reinstall just because you don't find it in the menu - you can add a menu item, right click on the menu > Add
Fred

Post by Fred »

muskratmx,

Luckily, I don't need ClamAV. All my friends passed on years ago! This is just one of several advantages of not having any friends. :-)

Enjoy life, :-)

Fred
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Fred, I'll be your friend :), but I have Windows machines on my home network, so you'll have to install Clam first!

Come to think of it, I should install it myself. :roll:
Fred

Post by Fred »

kenetics,

Wow! You would be willing to be my friend? How much would it cost me? One time fee or subscription rates?

I had a friend a while back, but I made the mistake of untieing him and he got away! Ahhh... you live and learn. :-)

Thanks for the offer,

Fred
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

My friendship comes free, as in free Linux and free beer.
Join us at the Mint Cafe, we are all friends there and the booze flows freely!
No ropes allowed though or any weapons or sharp objects.
draceena

Post by draceena »

Yea, I figured that the ClamAV was running and all, but as a rank Linux Noobie (I've only been playing around with it for only 1 month) I just thought that like everything else in Mint that the Clam AV should do everything (i.e make the menu link and update the database) without user intervention (unless I want to modify it after install ;) )

Anyways, it's just a small issue and not a deal breaker to me, I've already told several friends how great Mint is and am trying to learn as much as I can about Linux in general. (geeky I know :P)

PS. I am the computer geek wife and things like Mint need to pass the husband test....and Mint certainly passes with flying colors as the husband is using it every day and loving it. :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well this topic evolved in a somewhat unexpected way :)
I remembered that Clamav is a cli application and thus it is not shown in the menu so it's OK
Sorry for my slightly misleading first answer
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

muskratmx wrote:The only purpose of an antivirus in linux is to protect your windows using friends when you give them a file.
Yes but there are viruses on Linux! Although a home user has very little chance to see one of them 8)

"Just for the record: ClamAV is one of the worst antivirus on Unix."
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have Avant on demand scanner and scan the entire system (including the XP partition which has Antivir installed) about once in a fortnight

Return to “Beginner Questions”