[solved] AWN and Cinnamon

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dry Lips

[solved] AWN and Cinnamon

Post by Dry Lips »

I'm new to the concept of docks, so if I there is something obvious that I'm overlooking, then I apologize in advance!

I want to use a simple yet elegant dock, and AWN seems like what I'm looking for. However I'm unfortunately having trouble adding launchers to it...I understand that you normally add launchers to AWN by dragging them from the menu onto the dock... This doesn't seem to work with the mint menu.

I then go to "task manager" in AWN settings and in order to add launchers manually. I write in a name and command, and it does work when I click on them, but AWN don't automatically find and use the icons belonging to programs that you add in such a way.

I then tried to select the entry in the dock, right clicked on it and chose "customize icon". But when you do this, ALL the launchers that you manually add, gets the SAME icon! :(

Can someone help me out here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dry Lips

Re: AWN and Cinnamon

Post by Dry Lips »

Ok, I figured out that if you add launchers, (and click "edit") you can click on the empty image in order to bring up a dialogue where you can select which icon to use...

However, you are limited to using images from the current icon theme... When you click "from file", all images and files are greyed out and cannot be selected. :cry:

Mint menu is written in javascript or something? Is that why you simply cannot drag items from the menu onto the dock?
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

First of all, thanks for alerting me to the fact that AWN works with Cinnamon. Absolutely stunning! I've missed AWN.

Secondly, I always find the best way to add a launcher is, rather than messing about doing it the manual way, just launch the application you want to add, and then right click on the launcher that appears for the app and select Add as Launcher. This did the trick for me with all but Google Earth for some reason, but that's not too bad. Hope this helps. :)
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

Blimey. No sooner have I responded to you, I discovered Cairo Dock. And to me, it's even better than AWN. I'd really recommend giving it a go on Mint Cinnamon. I don't think I've ever had such a complete desktop experience as this setup. Utterly superb.
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

Personally I prefer AWN to Cairo-dock, because Cairo is too noisy IMO.
Secondly, I always find the best way to add a launcher is, rather than messing about doing it the manual way, just launch the application you want to add, and then right click on the launcher that appears for the app and select Add as Launcher.
Thanks! I didn't know you could do that! It was really something as simple as that I was looking for when I posted this thread! :D

Here is my current setup:

Gtk+ theme: Elementary
Dock: AWN
Icons: Faenza-Cupertino

Clean:

Messy:
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

Easy solution is always best. :)

I love AWN, but it's sad that it's no longer being developed. Particularly so, as it is different enough to Cairo Dock to warrant its existence alongside it, it being that bit simpler to use. The plus side though, is it still works really well with Mint 13, so you can't really go wrong.

I love your desktop shots. Mine is here. Like I say, I'd never used Cairo Dock before, but it has bowled me over. It's insane just how much you can do with it, and it doesn't use a lot of system resources which is a real bonus.
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

Condorman wrote: I love your desktop shots. Mine is here
Thanks! I've commented on your screenshot in the screenshot thread.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”