Mint 13 - Cinnamon - Color - Monitor Calibration [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
O|||||||O

Mint 13 - Cinnamon - Color - Monitor Calibration [SOLVED]

Post by O|||||||O »

Hello,

I am running Mint 13, Cinnamon, 64bit. After installing, the first thing I set out to do was calibrate my monitor. I was happy to see that Mint 13 ships with a monitor calibration utility pre-installed ('Color', under the Preferances menu).

I ran that, and half way through the calibration (my calibration device is a Pantone Huey, BTW) the monitor shifted towards green, and the resulting .icc profile was very green to me... It was noticeably 'off'.

After that, I installed dispcalGUI (what I was using in Mint 11) - that performed as expected - very accurately.

The 'Color' app and dispcalGUI both use ArgyllCMS, and they have a very similar calibration process - but I got wildly different results with them. The factory default of my monitor was actually closer than the profile 'Color' gave me.

I do a lot of photo editing, so an accurate monitor is essential to me. Why did the 'Color' calibration give such unusable results compared to dispcalGUI? It's nice that it comes pre-installed, but if it doesn't work, what's the point?

Is my experience typical, or did I maybe do something wrong? dispcalGUI produced a very noticeably more accurate color profile.

I guess what I'm wondering is, can the Color app's calibration be improved? For me, it actually made my monitor worse than it was with no calibration at all. I mean, I like that there is a calibration utility already installed, but as it is now (for me, anyway) it is unusable.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Mint 13 - Cinnamon - Color - Monitor Calibration

Post by remoulder »

This is not a mint tool, it is part of gnome 3.4
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
O|||||||O

Re: Mint 13 - Cinnamon - Color - Monitor Calibration

Post by O|||||||O »

Sorry. I guess that means that there is nothing the Mint Dev Team can do about it, right?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Mint 13 - Cinnamon - Color - Monitor Calibration [SOLVED

Post by remoulder »

Yep
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
heathenx

Post by heathenx »

I just calibrated my monitor yesterday under Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit with the Gnome Color tool (with a Pantone Huey). I didn't notice any green tint afterward. My monitor got just a tad darker which is what I expected. I too have used dispcalGUI in the past and it has always worked great for me...even better since I switched from my Spyder3 to my Huey. This time around I just plugged in my Huey to see what would happen. I think it installed Argyll and some other dependencies, after some steps and about 20 minutes later my monitor was calibrated. I have an Acer 22" LCD but I cannot recall the actual model number since I'm not in front of it.
O|||||||O

Post by O|||||||O »

I'm pretty sure it already had everything it needed (Argyll) installed. I'm sure it works fine on other monitors - I did try it three times though, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Half way through, it was like my monitor changed profiles - and I think that is what made the calibration come out bad. I have no idea why it did that though... dispcalGUI didn't do that - the monitor stayed the same until the new profile was applied.

Probably just some issue with my specific hardware...

Return to “Software & Applications”