Is it possible to create an LMDE-based distribution?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jfurmankiewicz

Is it possible to create an LMDE-based distribution?

Post by jfurmankiewicz »

Hi,

I have a (maybe) very naive question: is it possible to create a separate distro (similar to a Fedora Remix) off the LMDE base?

I not a huge fan of either GNOME Shell (although it is much better now), nor Cinnamon, nor MATE and have been really settling on XFCE for most of my desktops.
I would like to create a LMDE XFCE based distro with some changes (different menu structure without so much clutter, some changes to default applications, look and feel changes,
proper default power management settings, etc.)

Is that an easy or even possible thing to do?
Are there any developer docs that explain how to do it (similar to the Fedora Remix docs: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Remix)

Thanks!
Jacek

P.S. Many thanks to the LM team for their great work in light of Ubuntu's fumbles...you keep the Linux desktop dream alive
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Is it possible to create an LMDE-based distribution?

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Possibly. Clem did share a tutorial on making a respin of Linux Mint .iso. but I'm not sure if it works for LMDE as well: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/918
jfurmankiewicz

Post by jfurmankiewicz »

thanks for the answers, I will see if mintconstructor works with LMDE.

However, none of the links seem to provide an answer to the question on how do I change the default configuration (not just packages) for a new user account, e.g.:

* power management settings
* Exaile default music folder directory, etc.

In short, how can you override the settings for each app if the ones in upstream Debian are not the best (which unfortunately happens often)...

thanks
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

mintconstructor works with and from lmde :)
i've been playing with it (just a bit) exactly with the xfce iso but at the moment only removing and adding app (trying to get a more streamlined xfce system)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”