[SOLVED] How to set up a default screen resolution?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
manuel.dossantos

[SOLVED] How to set up a default screen resolution?

Post by manuel.dossantos »

Hello everybody!

Straight to the point: every time i start my Linux Mint LXDE computer, the screen resolution is set to 1360 x 864, which is not the optimal for my monitor. So, i have to change it to 1360 x 768 every time i start my pc... its a little annoying. For some reason, even though i set the screen resolution, my linux doesn`t "remember" my choice :(

How can i set 1360 x 768 as the default resolution?

Thanks in advance.

PS: i set my screen resolution through MENU :arrow: PREFERENCES :arrow: MONITOR SETTINGS.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jp734

Re: How to set up a default screen resolution?

Post by jp734 »

Check if you have the file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" and see what resolution is your monitor set to
manuel.dossantos

jp734 wrote:Check if you have the file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" and see what resolution is your monitor set to
I searched the entire disk, and no "xorg.conf" file was located, any suggestions?
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

xorg config file is depreciated in current Ubuntu (and drivatives), but can create one.
But in LXDE...

make sure you save monitor setting (then have to either restart or re-apply setting in setting>monitor settings) I think its a bug that saving and apply won't work together. :roll:

Hopes help
J.Jay
manuel.dossantos

jjaythomas wrote:xorg config file is depreciated in current Ubuntu (and drivatives), but can create one.
But in LXDE...

make sure you save monitor setting (then have to either restart or re-apply setting in setting>monitor settings) I think its a bug that saving and apply won't work together. :roll:

Hopes help
J.Jay
In Mint LXDE, there is no "save" option. The tool that manages monitor settings is called LXRandR 0.1.1.

Please help me someone!
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

What version of LXDE using? :?:

I currently only have it installed on LMDE (technically Swift). :roll:

BUT tried on current Live disk Version 12. They do, it uses lxrandr .1.2.

J.Jay
manuel.dossantos

how do i get my lxde version? i am not sure which version im running
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

You usually are told/know what ISO your using. The version of the CD/USB pen you used to install.

if not the artwork (check default wallpaper/login screen) usually has version in the picture somewhere.
You can also use 'system>system profiler and benchmarks' program, under summary or operating system (check version, listed as LinuxMint # (version) LXDE.
You can also find it in the 'system tools>update manager' program.

you can also find with a CLI (terminal) command.

J.Jay

P.S. LXDE installed on LMDE is a rolling (sort of) where you can update to the new version (snapshot).
But
LXDE based on Ubuntu you can't (easily), you re-install with a new ISO on CD/DVD/USB pen-drive ect.

Hopes explains
J.Jay
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Use Arandr to set your resolution. Save it. It should be saved in .screenlayout in your home directory. Add that saved file to Autostart. See http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#16 for more details, albeit for setting up dual monitors but the same procedure should work for a single monitor.
manuel.dossantos

PROBLEM SOLVED

Ok guys, problem solved!! Thanks to all of you for helping! This is how i solved the problem:

1) With Synaptic, install the package named ARANDR.
2) Then, open ARANDR and set the resolution to the one you want as "default" (1360 x 768 in my case), and press the "apply" button.
3) After the new resolution is applied, press the "save as" button.
4) By default, ARANDR will ask you to save this monitor settings in this folder: /home/YOURNAME/.screenlayout... do it (lets say you name the file "defaultresolution").
5) With the File Manager, go to the location of the newly created file (/home/YOURNAME/.screenlayout), right click on the file defaultresolution.sh and make the file executable (by checking the box).
6) Then, go to this location: /etc/xdg/lxsession/Mint. Inside this folder you will find a file named autostart. Edit the file, by inserting the following line: @/home/YOURNAME/.screenlayout/defaultresolution.sh. (what you just did, is order your lxde to "autorun" this command at startup).
7) Save the changes, and restart your computer. If everything went well, your lxde mint will show the desired resolution as default.

The End.

PS: special thanks to user seppalta :P

Return to “Software & Applications”