Linux Mint 13 "Maya" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
ChrisOfBristol

Re: Linux Mint 13 "Maya" released!

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

momist wrote:holiday tomorrow
Ian Thanks for explaining things simply and enjoy your holiday. Chris
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

cwwgateway wrote:gnome-session-properties
Adding it to the startup list doesn't work unfortunately, maybe other things happen afterwards which interfere with it. I tried it with and without the ampersand.
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

Ian

Your post all makes good sense and I think that is the way I would approach it if possible, but there isn't the room on the disk.

I given some thought to an alternative, and I could create a new / partition which includes a very small /home, and have my old /home as another partition called /realhome. After installation I could copy all the .config directory and all files in /home but not the directories into /oldhome over the dodgy ones that are there. Then reinstall but wipe out all of / including /home and use /oldhome as /home.

It wouldn't need much space and would be less risky than wiping partitions and relying on backups (not that you were suggesting that), but it's not guaranteed to cover the dodgy files.

Overall, your way would work but I haven't got room to do it, and there is room for my way but it wouldn't be sure of working and would still involve an element of risk.

I have found that Gnome3 works and although I would far prefer to use MATE I don't think it is sensible to risk my data to solve a configuration problem with it. I think I would prefer to wait until someone comes up with some utility or shell script that cleans out old configuration files for old desktop/window manager setups and maybe current ones. Even just a list of files and directories which could be tediously typed in and removed one-by-one would do!

So I'll stick with Gnome3 until there is a less drastic solution.
egabrum

Post by egabrum »

(1) Is it just me or the Software Manager is much slower in this release?

(2) Where should I report bugs?
I am sure this is an old question, but it's quite confusing with all the Launchpads, GIT, fora, Community, etc... I never know where to report bugs for Linux distributions and packages.

Thanks
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Problems you have are best first asked about on the forums for help. If it is then clear it is indeed a bug in the software, you submit bugs for Linux Mint developed applications to Launchpad. Except for Cinnamon, that goes to GitHub.

For applications not developed by Linux Mint, you may submit a bug in Launchpad, but it may be more effective to submit the bug to the developers of the application.
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

I want to whole-hearted thank the Mint development team for another job well done on Mint 13 Maya :D . I just did my first test drive of Maya MATE Edition in a virtualbox last night, and I have to say- I am very, very impressed. I like that alcarte is there by default, and I like the Control Center - it seems very comprehensive. I had to install gnome-system-tools on Lisa to even get user management through the Control Center, and I see that user management is available by default in Maya - excellent. Thanks again to everyone that made this project possible :) !
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
AMD Ryzen 3-3100, AMD Radeon RX 570, 16 GB RAM, Mint 21 (Vanessa), MATE
water spirit

Post by water spirit »

I have installed the Cinnamon 64 bit release on a Dell Laptop which has the optimus system and have both the Intel and Nvidia Graphics working and working really well. So I am very impressed with this release and intend to keep it in place for a long time. Thank you Linux Mint. :D
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

qhris wrote:What about gnome3, is it not to be implemented now? I kinda am used to it. :)
Gnome 3 is already installed for the Cinnamon version of Maya (Cinnamon is a shell for Gnome 3 like cwwgateway says in another reply). You're referring to "gnome-shell" which can be installed via the Synaptic of you wish.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
unkilbeeg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by unkilbeeg »

I have the same question/problem about LM 13 that I had with LM 12. I never got a response when I asked about it on LM12.

Here's the issue: I've got local respositories for Debian and Ubuntu on my network, but only the amd64 architecture. I've installed LM13 (amd64) with MATE (which looks really good, by the way.) When I added in the local repository, the update manager barfs over missing i386 binaries.

Does the AMD64 edition of LM13 (and LM12, for that matter) require i386 binaries?

I've currently got about 100 copies of LM10 running, all 64 bit, and it seems to work fine with 64bit repositories. Do I really need to include binaries for an architecture I'm not using in order to make LM13 happy? What i386 packages are necessary?

I hope someone who knows the answer sees this question. I'm not sure where the best place to ask it is, since the places I tried before got no responses.
theupendra

Post by theupendra »

I am sorry if I am posting this reply to wrong thread. I am new to Linux as well as new to Linux Mint Forum. Why this time Linux Mint 13 Maya don't have individual Gnome Shell Edition? It was great to get Linux Ming Gone Edition on Linux Mint 12 Lisa edition. I enjoyed it's looks and feel even it's been just 2 months. I tried to install Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon and then tried to install Gnome Shell but it lead me to many problems and it was almost impossible to use the desktop. Now, I again switched to Linux Mint 12. Is there any chances to release Linux Mint 13 in Gnome Environment like in Lint Mint 12?
Thank you!
Actually Mint is great to use! Fed up with Windows!
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

theupendra wrote:Gnome Shell Edition?
I am using Mint 13 with Gnome Shell and it works fine for me, I didn't do anything clever, I think I just did

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
then selected it when I logged in. I also had to install the menu editor to get the right applications to appear. I'm afraid I can't give you any more help, I can only tell you that it does work nicely and is worth persevering with - perhaps someone else will be able to help.
ausminter

Post by ausminter »

I've just installed it and I love it.
How do I install extra applets ?
I tried by using add extra applets which took me to the spices site where I found what I wanted (touchpad indicator) then I clicked download, but it isn't showing up as an available applet.
Edit where do I extract it to ?
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

ausminter wrote:I've just installed it and I love it.
How do I install extra applets ?
I tried by using add extra applets which took me to the spices site where I found what I wanted (touchpad indicator) then I clicked download, but it isn't showing up as an available applet.
Edit where do I extract it to ?
Extract it too ~/.local/share/Cinnamon/applets. ~ means your home folder and a folder with a "." in front of it is hidden, so you need to press "ctrl+h" to show the hidden files.
ausminter

Post by ausminter »

cwwgateway wrote: Extract it too ~/.local/share/Cinnamon/applets. ~ means your home folder and a folder with a "." in front of it is hidden, so you need to press "ctrl+h" to show the hidden files.
Thank you very much.

This is the best Mint yet - congratulations to the crew
theupendra

Post by theupendra »

ChrisOfBristol wrote:
theupendra wrote:Gnome Shell Edition?
I am using Mint 13 with Gnome Shell and it works fine for me, I didn't do anything clever, I think I just did

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
then selected it when I logged in......
I also did the same and selected Gnome while entering my password. But I got some kind of error and it took me to default desktop. I have no problems on default Cinnamon Desktop.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

theupendra wrote:I got some kind of error
It's difficult to know what the problem might be without a bit more information. Can I suggest that you try it again and make a note of exactly what the error was?
grml4d

Post by grml4d »

i use the maya3d version : very good release , the menu is perfect , PERFECT .
next thing to do is to build drivers for all the hardware , like having an ati and a nvidia gfx using "proprietaries drivers" at the same time [with fedora i can have the proprietary ati and nouveau showing a f8 on the nvidia display] [ with current MintMaya3d i see a prompt on the nvidia screen]
i need that and a driver for my audio xfi hd from auzentech to deliver sound via hdmi .

like ubuntu and all others distro , you could try to recognize the hvr2200 http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/product ... 200mc.html and be able to set the correct value in the options file for the firmware and the card works
i edited the section : Making it Work Easily at http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/H ... V-HVR-2200
the kernel needs the firmware file : NXP7164-2010-03-10.1.fw and a value setting from 0 to 8 in the options file .
chrnoble

Post by chrnoble »

Well, more frustration with Cinnamon.
I updated the Nvidia driver, and all was well... until reboot. At which time, things were messed up again. Looking at Nvidia-settings, under "x server display configuration", the resolution of 1024x768 saved, but "auto" did not. It switches back to 87 Hz (interlace), and I have to keep switching it back.
Incidentally, MATE has the same issue when downloading AWN.
Sigh. I'm going to have to give up on Nvidia, aren't I? The list of distro's that work smoothly with my driver is dwindling. Nothing wrong with nouveau, I can do 3D with it. But Nvidia just looks sharper.
rfraser3

Post by rfraser3 »

Using 32bit Cinnamon on a Novatech netbook; works great - thanks guys! :)
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdim »

Great work, everyone.
Another polished release, this time with the long-awaited Cinnamon desktop,
which I must admit has blended in really superbly with all the other usual stuff.

Our thanks from the Linux Mint Greek Community.
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630

Return to “Releases & Announcements”