Network from terminal

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Arogers10

Network from terminal

Post by Arogers10 »

Hi, i'm looking for a simply network-manager that I could use from the terminal. i've found some information online referring to wpasupplicant and iwconfig and while they work, it's not quite what i'm looking for. im not trying to make a script or anything all i want is to connect to wifi when i do not have an x-server available. Im good at breaking x and i fix problems via browsing the web. so all I really want is a program that i can start in terminal which lists available networks to choose from and then asks for my wpa2 key phrase. just like any gui-based network manager so i dont need to know my gateway or IP adress or any other number or weird series of commands (my memory is not that great :D ) so i'd love any help finding a terminal-based network connection program, Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
baptiste

Re: Network from terminal

Post by baptiste »

I've thought, does wicd have a thing?
so let's do an apt-cache show wicd : it does depend on GTK+, it's a graphical client. but let's see what it depends on : wicd-daemon, wicd-curses and a few things.

so, wicd-curses it is!, you can expect it to work, please try it (I have no wireless)
wicd is great by the way, only it does not support modem, 3G and other features ; it does ethernet and wireless.
or there's wicd-cli, which should be more of a real command line program than a text mode GUI.
Arogers10

Post by Arogers10 »

that is exactly what i want! however I keep getting a badd password error on a known network and I cant get it to connect...
Arogers10

Post by Arogers10 »

ALRIGHT! it works perfectly now! wicd-curses is great I just had to change the backend from "external" to "ioctl" thanks for the help this program is perfect for my needs :mrgreen:
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

wicd-curses, wpa_cli, ceni.

My personal favorite is ceni, you can grab it from the siduction repos.
$ apt-cache show ceni
Package: ceni
Priority: optional
Section: net
Installed-Size: 284
Maintainer: Sebastian Görgen <zeppo@siduction.net>
Architecture: all
Version: 2.36
Depends: perl, libcurses-ui-perl, libexpect-perl, libterm-readkey-perl, ifupdown, udev, wpasupplicant
Recommends: resolvconf
Suggests: wpagui
Description: Curses interface to /etc/network/interfaces
A Curses user interface for configuring network interfaces with ifupdown.
Ceni can manage basic network interface ifupdown configuration stanzas for
ethernet and wireless devices.

Return to “LMDE Archive”