Disable startup sounds

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WineCurmudgeon

Disable startup sounds

Post by WineCurmudgeon »

Can't find how to do it after searching here and elsewhere, though there are instructions for Mate. Is it possible to do this in Cinnamon on 13?
DrHu

Re: Disable startup sounds

Post by DrHu »

Do you mean any sounds run by the system or Grub boot beeps or grub selection beeps..
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

menu >administration >login window > accessibility tab
WineCurmudgeon

Post by WineCurmudgeon »

Not beeps, but the jingle.

And no matter how hard I try and how many different menus I use, I can't get Adminstration to come up on the Cinnamon menu editor. It just says System tools.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

WineCurmudgeon wrote:And no matter how hard I try and how many different menus I use, I can't get Adminstration to come up on the Cinnamon menu editor. It just says System tools.
Are you accessing the menu editor by right-clicking on the Menu button? That activates Cinnamon's native editor, which doesn't show all the menu options.

Go to the Preferences catagory and open Main Menu. That starts the alacarte editor, the usual GNOME menu editor.

The two editors don't cooperate with each other very well.
WineCurmudgeon

Post by WineCurmudgeon »

No luck. Had to use synaptic to install alacarte, and then I ran it through the command line and still didn't see what I needed.

I guess I'll have to live with the sounds. Thanks for your help.
kiko53s

Post by kiko53s »

I used following:

Menu=> Administration=> Login Window=> Accessibility Tab.....change start-up sound.

Hope that works
Combimux

Post by Combimux »

kiko53s wrote:I used following:

Menu=> Administration=> Login Window=> Accessibility Tab.....change start-up sound.

Hope that works
Thanks!!! I have spend a lot off time on this :roll: trying to get the anoying sound away.
Cinnamon isn't Gnome2 :lol: I tried to start conf-editor...
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

kiko53s wrote:Menu=> Administration=> Login Window=> Accessibility Tab.....change start-up sound.
Doesn’t work for me, neither in LM13 nor in 14. Anything else I can try?
jolar

Post by jolar »

Since this was the first search result on google, I'm reviving the thread... Using Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela.

It took a long time to find the setting for that annoying login sound, but it's under "Hardware" in the System Settings. "Sound" button, and then it's a button on the top named "Sound Effects" that opens a menu where you can disable the sound when starting cinnamon.

Some of these configuration menus are not well designed. They're hard to read, and the buttons with only text on them can blend in so you don't see that it's actually a button.
Neutrino

Post by Neutrino »

There's a much more obvious way to get to these settings.

Go to Menu -> Preferences -> Sound then select the tab Sound Effects. The startup jingle is controlled by the 'Starting Cinnamon' sound. Uncheck that setting to disable it.
typaH4okc

Post by typaH4okc »

jolar wrote:Since this was the first search result on google, I'm reviving the thread... Using Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela.

It took a long time to find the setting for that annoying login sound, but it's under "Hardware" in the System Settings. "Sound" button, and then it's a button on the top named "Sound Effects" that opens a menu where you can disable the sound when starting cinnamon.

Some of these configuration menus are not well designed. They're hard to read, and the buttons with only text on them can blend in so you don't see that it's actually a button.
Thank you! works the same way on Cinnamon Mint 18.
bastet

Post by bastet »

Thanks Neutrino for Preferences->Son (Sound)->Effets Sonores (Sound Effects)
ouf !
I found an even quicker access to Sound: click on volume icon in bottom right.
The link is right under the volume bar.
SWIN

Post by SWIN »

Thank you O thank you - peace at last!

Jut put on my phones and started Mint - full volume DIiiinnggAaDdAAaaangggg.

Still got ringing noises in my ears.

And found this thread, that ended the start up terror of Mint.

Return to “Cinnamon”