Should Mint Cinnamon use different fm instead of Nautilus?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Which file manager is best for Cinnamon?

pcmanfm
20%
nautilus
33%
thunar
27%
marlin
7%
sunflower
No votes
other
13%

Total votes: 15

Ilya3L

Should Mint Cinnamon use different fm instead of Nautilus?

Post by Ilya3L »

Since Nautilus 3 is no longer flexible enough to add even "Open parent folder" button without messing with sources, I switched to pcmanfm and quite happy with it. Because of it I suggest to replace Nautilus in Mint 14 and further releases with either different file manager or customized version of Nautilus but with an option to add/remove button on Nautilus panel. What would you say?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Should Mint Cinnamon use different fm instead of Nautilu

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

The suggestions & new ideas is not the place to start a popularity contest :wink:

I'm voting Nautilus, as I'm quite happy with it and I think it suits average users. For the ultimate in customizability, check SpaceFM (http://ignorantguru.github.com/spacefm/).
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

I'd vote Dolphin. Probably the best available file manager for Linux, although Qt-based. If that does not break it for you... :)
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

Caja :mrgreen:
Nautilus with a toolbar :lol:
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

It doesn't matter; it's easy enough to install whatever file manager you prefer to use. I always go with Dolphin, regardless of the desktop environment.
Ilya3L

Post by Ilya3L »

MALsPa wrote:It doesn't matter; it's easy enough to install whatever file manager you prefer to use. I always go with Dolphin, regardless of the desktop environment.
It depends on which auditory you target. I do believe that things should be simple out of box. And stable flexible file manager with optional tabs support will be a good welcome for ex-Windows users. First of all because it supports "Open parent folder", secondly - because it is stable and thirdly because it is better than Nautilus in current state.
abnvolk wrote:Caja :mrgreen:
Nautilus with a toolbar :lol:
I have nothings to say against Nautilus2 (Caja), it's not bad at all, still CInnamon uses Nau3
axel668

Post by axel668 »

Thunar ... or Double Commander !! http://doublecmd.sourceforge.net/
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Can GNOME 3 (and, thus, Cinnamon) even run without Nautilus?

The lack of certain features in Nautilus does annoy me, but not enough that I don't find it perfectly fine to use.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”