unity on maya

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
knights

unity on maya

Post by knights »

installed unity (i like it)! through software manager and it (ubuntu) will not appear in the new session manager like it did with lisa! so I cannot login with unity. So far, not too impressed with MtM! please help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pfjap.paco

Re: unity on maya

Post by pfjap.paco »

Cool! I like Unity quite a bit as well. Do you have the gnome-session package installed? I think that fixed it for me.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Why not just install and use Ubuntu 12.04 if you want to use Unity? (asked curiously, not provocatively).

1 Take Ubuntu 12.04
2* Modify it to suit MATE DE and Cinnamon shell
3* Remove Unity and all Unity related
4* Apply Mint theming and Mint patching
5* Release Mint 13

* steps Unity users should skip

Ubuntu 12.04 is (obviously) perfectly integrated with Unity, you can't reach that level of integration in Mint, and why would you? Don't buy a pick-up to turn it into a sports car, buy a sports car.
knights

Post by knights »

Thanks to pf.jap paco! You solved my problem-gnome session manager worked.
zadeja

Post by zadeja »

[quote][/Why not just install and use Ubuntu 12.04 if you want to use Unity? ]

The same reasons people used Mint until Mint 12? Stability, longer testing phases, better non-free codec support out-of-the-box, that sort of thing.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

None of those points are valid with the two current releases, and what small validity they may still have had certainly doesn't outweigh that Pangolin is designed to work with Unity and Maya isn't.
pfjap.paco

Post by pfjap.paco »

Well, in my case, I like having a ton of DEs. I also like Linux Mint more than Ubuntu. I currently have Cinnamon, Gnome Shell, Gnome Classic, Pantheon, and Unity installed on my Maya partition. Just because I like Pantheon doesn't mean I'm going to move to Elementary OS. Just because I like Gnome Shell doesn't mean I want to move to Fedora. And just because Unity is more integrated in Ubuntu doesn't mean I want to use Ubuntu.

I love Linux Mint, and if I can have my DEs on Mint, then I am going to use Mint; out-of-the-box integration isn't something I really mind not having, as long as I have the tools and capability to reach that level of integration then I'm happy. Haha, that's me at least.

Return to “Software & Applications”