Mint 13 Mate - Compiz window placeing, panel viewport switch

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
norumaru

Mint 13 Mate - Compiz window placeing, panel viewport switch

Post by norumaru »

Hi everyone,

I have two problems using Compiz. One is that fixed window placement does not work: I want to bind for example my Guayadeque to the second viewport, so I added a rule to that effect under fixed window placement - windows with fixed viewport in Compiz' Place Window plugin (class=Guayadeque, viewport x=2, y=1). I tried every other type of window identification style, too, but it just opens in whichever viewport I am on at the time anyway. I tested it with Thunderbird and file browser windows, too. Same result.

The second is that the viewport switcher for the bottom panel does not work properly. I have set both vertical and horizontal desktop size to 2, number of desktops to 1 in Compiz-configs general settings, which should mean 4 viewports in a square, right?

The panel switcher, however, only displays one viewport after I log into the system. If I open the panel workspace switcher's preferences (set to 1 row, 1 workspace, otherwise each workspace shown in the panel is its own desktop with 4 workspaces), fiddle around with the settings, and put them back to 1/1, it goes back to displaying properly.

I activated Compiz by changing "marco" to "compiz" in mateconf's desktop/mate/session/reqeduired_components windowmanager key, replacing the command in Compiz' Window Deorations plugin with "/usr/bin/gtk-window-decorator" and copying the Mint-X theme folder to the Adwaita theme folder.
Could this method of activation be part of the problem?

Does anyone have an idea how to solve these issues?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
norumaru

Re: Mint 13 Mate - Compiz window placeing, panel viewport sw

Post by norumaru »

Forgive the double post, but I just notced another weird thing Compiz is doing: In its viewport switcher settings, I have set commands in the "go to specific viewport" tab for the first 4 viewports, because they are the only ones I use. The commands are <super>1 through 4. Any window I put next to the right edge on viewport 2 will now appear next to the left edge of viewport 1, whenever I <super>1 back to it, regardless of whether I went to a different viewport in between or not. No other edge does this.

Can anyone help me stop this? Thank you very much.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”