Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davidvj

Re: Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Post by davidvj »

Cinnamon appears to sit 'comfortably' on my system now excepting for the problem on my high-res (1920 x 1200) screen that leaves me with a panel with tiny tiny icons.
Will panel width be a problem that is soon to be addressed?

Thank you;

David
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

davidvj wrote:Cinnamon appears to sit 'comfortably' on my system now excepting for the problem on my high-res (1920 x 1200) screen that leaves me with a panel with tiny tiny icons.
Will panel width be a problem that is soon to be addressed?

Thank you;

David
I hope it will. One solution is to use the theme Odin with the panel on the top or to edit the css file yourself with a top panel (changing the panel width doesn't work with the panel on the bottom). Here is the link to the Odin theme: http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/86.
davidvj

Post by davidvj »

REF: PANEL DEPTH
Thank you for the fast and positive response .. the top panel is ideal for me; however
I have switched to the top panel
Installed Odin
Rebooted the system
Turned on the panel edit
I still appear to be unable to modify the panel depth ... is there some special key combination that I am missing ... have tried all comb. of Ctrl/Alt/Win with Right-Click.

Thanks;

David
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

davidvj wrote:REF: PANEL DEPTH
Thank you for the fast and positive response .. the top panel is ideal for me; however
Installed Odin
Rebooted the system
Turned on the panel edit
I still appear to be unable to modify the panel depth ... is there some special key combination that I am missing ... have tried all comb. of Ctrl/Alt/Win with Right-Click.

Thanks;

David
Sorry, Odin increases the panel width from 24 px to 32 px (IIRC). You have to open Cinnamon settings and select the theme to use Odin. Here's how to edit the panel width manually - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 31#p586531
davidvj

Post by davidvj »

cwwgateway wrote:
Installed Odin
Rebooted the system
Turned on the panel edit

Thanks;

David
Sorry, Odin increases the panel width from 24 px to 32 px (IIRC). You have to open Cinnamon settings and select the theme to use Odin. Here's how to edit the panel width manually - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 31#p586531

Odin does indeed in crease the panel width using this reference ... however, that is all that it does; all of the icons remain un-scaled and look rather silly.
I have now reset to the default and hope to find another solution.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

As Clem has noted there is some confusion as to what a Cinnamon theme does, it doesn't change your whole desktop including icons and windows, it just changes the shell appearance (panels, panel popup menus and some prompts), for icons and window themes you have to go into "Other settings" under the Themes tab in Cinnamon settings.
davidvj

Post by davidvj »

davidvj wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:
Installed Odin
Rebooted the system
Turned on the panel edit

Thanks;

David
Added information:
The .css file actually indicates that the font size not the panel size controls (scales) the appearance. In the light of that I tried changing the default font (Odin top) from 9 to 12 px.
This did absolutely nothing. ... Back to square one.

David
Odin does indeed in crease the panel width using this reference ... however, that is all that it does; all of the icons remain un-scaled and look rather silly.
I have now reset to the default and hope to find another solution.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

You need to change font more than one place in the .css to fully apply a font change - it's not particularly easy. The font parameter given at "Stage" level only applies to elements which don't have font specified further down in the file.
davidvj

Post by davidvj »

bimsebasse wrote:You need to change font more than one place in the .css to fully apply a font change - it's not particularly easy. The font parameter given at "Stage" level only applies to elements which don't have font specified further down in the file.
Did all that ... changed every single instance of 'font-size' (and there were a large number) ... scaled them all proportionately, reset everything, full shutdown and restart ... the end result was absolutely nothing changed.

Will now try to forget the time lost and use the basic Gnome until there is a more satisfactory development in this area.

Shame ... somebody fixed it and somebody unfortunately broke it

David
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

The only explanation to that is that your're not using the theme you tweaked or that you're not in Cinnamon. I have never experienced a font change not taking effect and I'm in all modesty Danish Cinnamon Theme Fiddler champion 2012.
davidvj

Post by davidvj »

Bimsebasse: ... since, with all modesty, you are " Danish Cinnamon Theme Fiddler champion 2012." would it be possible that you already have on hand a panel with substantially larger width than offered in the current selection? I would be open to either a top or bottom .... just so long as the icons are large enough to distinguish ;=))
There must be a wider panel out there somewhere, says he hopefully.

Thanks;

David
jessy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jessy »

The only panel i have found that has somewhat increased fonts is in the cinnamon-gnome theme.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Yes, the Gnome theme has large fonts.
davidvj

Post by davidvj »

Must be something that I am not understanding ......
I see little difference as I change themes. Fancy names but not much to show. Being able to directly edit the colours, fonts and icons would have been IMO a much more realistic way to steer the ship.
Yes Gnome has slightly larger fonts but the tiny tiny icons on the panel bar remain at an unreasonable size.
I can only imagine that the designers did their work on a low-rez tablet!

Hope somebody, eventually, understands the problem.

David
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

davidvj wrote:Must be something that I am not understanding ......
I see little difference as I change themes. Fancy names but not much to show. Being able to directly edit the colours, fonts and icons would have been IMO a much more realistic way to steer the ship.
Yes Gnome has slightly larger fonts but the tiny tiny icons on the panel bar remain at an unreasonable size.
I can only imagine that the designers did their work on a low-rez tablet!

Hope somebody, eventually, understands the problem.

David
David, the themes don't control the icon sizes. The theme designer simply cannot change the icon size using a theme.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Next major update is on the way, Clem just updated Cinnamon's news file:

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/c ... dfa93fae88

(skip the pink and scroll down to the green for the fun stuff)
davidvj

Post by davidvj »

Trying to find where to get it ......

Will this be an automatic update?

David
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

It's not out yet, it will come to you eventually through Mint's repositories (have no clue about when).
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

bimsebasse wrote: (skip the pink and scroll down to the green for the fun stuff)
Configurable Panel height! Cool! :D
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Yup, and it works just as it should:

Return to “Cinnamon”