GOOD NEWS: Cinnamon+LLVMPIPE (software renderer) updated!!!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
esteban1uy

GOOD NEWS: Cinnamon+LLVMPIPE (software renderer) updated!!!

Post by esteban1uy »

Software rendering is one of the most important things to make Cinnamon run in unsupported graphics cards (those without hardware 3D rendering support, or problematic ones).
Until now, the software renderer shipped with Maya didn't work very well, Cinnamon was very glitchy, almost unusable.
But with the recent update to some mesa libraries something changed... A LOT!
Who knows... maybe our brothers from Ubuntu started to port the patches from Fedora 17 (Fedora devs did a fantastic job to make Gnome3 based desktops work with software rendering).
Wanna try?

Open a terminal and execute this command:.

Code: Select all

LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 cinnamon --replace
You'll be using software rendering for Cinnamon until you restart your session.
Take a look at this:

Of course, be prepared to see some very high cpu usage while doing certaint tasks, because all the work will be done at your main processor, not your graphics card.
But if you have a good cpu, you'll find that's very usable, and almost indistinguishable from real hardware rendering. In my system (a modest intel core i3) works extremely well.

Please share your experiences.

Cheers!

Oops... I forgot!
You can avoid some glitches with this trick:

gksudo gedit /etc/environment
At the last line add:

CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
Save, reboot and try your software 3D rendering.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: GOOD NEWS: Cinnamon+LLVMPIPE (software renderer) updated

Post by zerozero »

8) 8) very good news esteban :D
probably now we are prepared to cinnamon 1.5 the mythic :wink:
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

Just for my curiosity , have you test it with VIA and SIS GPU or older intel onboard :?:
If this work well , this will be great news. But i think cinnamon 1.4 base on Gnome shell 3.2 ( still need 3d hardware acceleration ) . Fedora 17 use Gnome 3.4 which don't need 3d hardware.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

mank_in wrote:Just for my curiosity , have you test it with VIA and SIS GPU or older intel onboard :?:
If this work well , this will be great news. But i think cinnamon 1.4 base on Gnome shell 3.2 ( still need 3d hardware acceleration ) . Fedora 17 use Gnome 3.4 which don't need 3d hardware.
But you can try it yourself (of course, if you have Mint Maya with Cinnamon installed).
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

zerozero wrote:8) 8) very good news esteban :D
probably now we are prepared to cinnamon 1.5 the mythic :wink:
I'm absolutely positively doubtlessly convinced it will be... epic!

Just picture yourself answering all those complaints about bad graphics support with a simple "please open a terminal and execute this: export LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1... blah blah blah".
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

mank_in wrote:Just for my curiosity , have you test it with VIA and SIS GPU or older intel onboard :?:
I propose the next achievement: run it successfully in VirtualBox with 3D acceleration disabled, or just in vmware (you probably won't need to turn anything off here - various 3D-related problems are said to turn on automatically for Linux guests).
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I disabled 3D support in VirtualBox, booted my up to date Maya Cinnamon virtual machine and tried the above command. Works :mrgreen: After login I came to the Cinnamon fallback mode, with the grey panel and Linux Mint icon as menu button. Ran the command and it was replaced by Cinnamon!

There are some artefacts on the screen when opening or moving windows, but this may be (partially) due to VirtualBox as it has been giving me similar isssues with 3D support enabled. I guess it needs some work, perhaps somebody can test it on real hardware to see how it behaves then :wink:

With the above command closing the terminal will leave you without a desktop environment :) To avoid that, change the command to:

(LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 cinnamon --replace &)
or:

bash -c "LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 cinnamon --replace &"
.William.

Post by .William. »

Hi, I tried your suggestion, but got some errors:

william@nologo ~ $ LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 cinnamon --replace
    JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: Requiring GjsDBus, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'GjsDBus' (any version) not found
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '0'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = '"gjs_throw"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '"("Requiring GjsDBus, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'GjsDBus' (any version) not found")@gjs_throw:0
@/usr/share/gjs-1.0/overrides/Gio.js:23
"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = '"Requiring GjsDBus, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'GjsDBus' (any version) not found"'
    JS ERROR: !!!   WARNING: 'anonymous function does not always return a value'
    JS ERROR: !!!   WARNING: file '/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/expoThumbnail.js' line 179 exception 0 number 157
    JS ERROR: !!!   WARNING: file '/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/expoThumbnail.js' line 526 exception 0 number 157
    JS ERROR: !!!   WARNING: file '/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/expoThumbnail.js' line 571 exception 0 number 157
    JS ERROR: !!!   WARNING: file '/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/expoThumbnail.js' line 731 exception 0 number 157
Waarschuwing van vensterbeheer:Log level 16: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
Waarschuwing van vensterbeheer:Log level 16: Error registering polkit authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject (polkit-error-quark 0)

(cinnamon:1977): Clutter-WARNING **: Failed to set the markup of the actor 'ClutterText': Error on line 1: Entity did not end with a semicolon; most likely you used an ampersand character without intending to start an entity - escape ampersand as &

(cinnamon:1977): Clutter-WARNING **: Attempting to add actor of type 'CinnamonGenericContainer' to a container of type 'StBoxLayout', but the actor has already a parent of type 'StBoxLayout'.

(cinnamon:1977): Clutter-WARNING **: Attempting to add actor of type 'StScrollView' to a container of type 'StBoxLayout', but the actor has already a parent of type 'StBoxLayout'.

(cinnamon:1977): Clutter-WARNING **: Attempting to add actor of type 'CinnamonGenericContainer' to a container of type 'StBoxLayout', but the actor has already a parent of type 'StBoxLayout'.

(cinnamon:1977): Clutter-WARNING **: Attempting to add actor of type 'StScrollView' to a container of type 'StBoxLayout', but the actor has already a parent of type 'StBoxLayout'.

JS ERROR: !!!   WARNING: file '/usr/share/cinnamon/applets/window-list@cinnamon.org/applet.js' line 377 exception 0 number 157

(cinnamon:1977): St-CRITICAL **: st_drawing_area_get_surface_size: assertion `area->priv->in_repaint' failed
    JS ERROR: !!!   WARNING: 'assignment to undeclared variable i'
    JS ERROR: !!!   WARNING: file '/usr/share/cinnamon/applets/hwmonitor@sylfurd/applet.js' line 118 exception 0 number 156

(cinnamon:1977): St-CRITICAL **: st_drawing_area_get_surface_size: assertion `area->priv->in_repaint' failed

(cinnamon:1977): St-WARNING **: percentage lengths not currently supported
    JS ERROR: !!!   WARNING: 'assignment to undeclared variable index'
    JS ERROR: !!!   WARNING: file '/usr/share/cinnamon/applets/hwmonitor@sylfurd/applet.js' line 95 exception 0 number 156

After it the messages in Terminal just hang..
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

xenopeek wrote:I disabled 3D support in VirtualBox, booted my up to date Maya Cinnamon virtual machine and tried the above command. Works :mrgreen: After login I came to the Cinnamon fallback mode, with the grey panel and Linux Mint icon as menu button. Ran the command and it was replaced by Cinnamon!

There are some artefacts on the screen when opening or moving windows, but this may be (partially) due to VirtualBox as it has been giving me similar isssues with 3D support enabled. I guess it needs some work, perhaps somebody can test it on real hardware to see how it behaves then :wink:

With the above command closing the terminal will leave you without a desktop environment :) To avoid that, change the command to:

(LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 cinnamon --replace &)
or:

bash -c "LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 cinnamon --replace &"
Thanks Vincent, I completely forgot the "&" at the end of the commands!

I think I was not clear enough in my first post. All my tests were done on REAL hardware, not Vbox or any other virtualization software.
Using real hardware there are some glitches, but not as noticeable as when using virtualization.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I'm using this with virtualization (I don't have any hardware where I want to run Cinnamon that doesn't have 3d capability), but it's working great. Virtual Box hardware acceleration died for me a long time ago and I'm too lazy to try and fix it, so this is really helpful.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

cwwgateway wrote:I'm using this with virtualization (I don't have any hardware where I want to run Cinnamon that doesn't have 3d capability), but it's working great. Virtual Box hardware acceleration died for me a long time ago and I'm too lazy to try and fix it, so this is really helpful.
The thing is, even if you have a graphics card with 3D acceleration, you can try Cinnamon using software rendering by forcing it with the LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 flag.

It doesn't matter if you have real hadware support or not, by using that flag you are forcing the system to use software rendering, so you can try it resembling a system without 3D hardware acceleration.

For example, when you want to test the 3D rendering capabilities of your system you usually do someting like this:

glxgears -info
Then a little window with some coloured turning cogs appear, and at your terminal you see something like this:

$ glxgears -info
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
GL_RENDERER   = Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile 
GL_VERSION    = 3.0 Mesa 8.0.2
GL_VENDOR     = Tungsten Graphics, 
Now do this:

LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 glxgears -info
The same window with the cogs appear, but at your terminal you'll find this:

$ LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 glxgears -info
GL_RENDERER   = Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)
GL_VERSION    = 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
GL_VENDOR     = VMware, Inc.
GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_ARB_multisample ...
That's because you are forcing software rendering. It's like your system hasn't hardware 3D acceleration.
So you can try Cinnamon with software rendering using the same principle.
sb56637

Post by sb56637 »

Hmmm, this is very interesting news. I've been holding off on trying Cinnamon until I have some indication as to whether the developers care about users who can't use or don't want to use 3D drivers. So I have a few questions:

1. Does this use the same mechanism as Gnome 3.4, which is supposed to work well without 3D graphics and without going into a fallback mode?

2. Will systems that have non-existent or buggy 3D graphics support automatically use LLVMPIPE? Or will users have to suffer through a fallback mode and run terminal commands to get this running?

Thanks!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I think it uses the same mechanism. And though it isn't ready for prime-time yet, it is advancing as shared on this topic :wink: The intention is for Cinnamon to work regardless of your graphics driver. I'm not sure how Cinnamon could detect that you have installed a buggy graphics driver? I think it will fall back to software rendering automatically if your graphics driver reports capabilities that are insufficient to run Cinnamon with hardware acceleration, and that you will have the choice at the login screen between running a session with Cinnamon + hardware acceleration or Cinnamon + software rendering. So in case of buggy graphics driver, the user would at least have the choice to switch to software rendering at the login screen.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

sb56637 wrote:1. Does this use the same mechanism as Gnome 3.4, which is supposed to work well without 3D graphics and without going into a fallback mode?
I guess so. For example, Ubuntu devs announced the drop Unity-2D once software rendering gets properly implemented, and the same fate is expected for Gnome-classic (fallback).
sb56637 wrote:2. Will systems that have non-existent or buggy 3D graphics support automatically use LLVMPIPE? Or will users have to suffer through a fallback mode and run terminal commands to get this running?
If there won't be a fallback mode anymore... of course!
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Although not very suitable for daily use, the llvmpipe trick has been very useful when you need to discard graphics hardware incompatibilities.
There are a lot of people experiencing Cinnamon freezes who are not very convinced that their problem is the lack of good 3D hardware support.
Once they see that Cinnamon can run with software rendering they realize the cause is not Cinnamon but their particular hardware configuration.
aakerbeere

Post by aakerbeere »

Hi

Ubuntu Mint 64 Cinnamon on VirtualBox 4.1.16 on Windows 7*64 Ultimate

I'm new to Linux and found here by curiosity.

Because i dont yet like Windows 8 i am looking if Linux could be an alternate OS for me to replace windows 7 when it reaches end of life. I set up Linux Mint (see above). Could not get running Cinnamon as expected until i tried esteban1uys post. This worked for me. Again for curiosity, after adding "CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling" (as esteban1uy posted earlier), i switched back 3D-Acceleration on the appropriate VB-Instance to enabled and reboot Linux. Actually my Mint is booting into Cinnamon Desktop and running it like a charm. So probably, simply adding "CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling" and setting "Hardware"-3D-Acceleration to enabled seems to resolve the problem.

Many thanks to esteban1uy
Cheers Markus

Edit:
Unfortunately, straight after posting, the problems returned. VB crashes when clicking on the menu button.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

A little bit of hope ...

After messing around with some code, I found something that can greatly reduce those ugly glitches and make the software rendering a little more bearable.
So I made a super-tiny cinnamon extension that everyone can install to test it (it's attached to this post).
It's just a teaked version of this.

- Download the attached zip file (disableanim.zip), decompress it and move the folder named no-animations@esteban1uy to /usr/share/cinnamon/extensions/
- Open "Cinnamon settings", go to "Extensions" and enable the extension.
- Then, open a terminal and restart Cinnamon this way:

bash -c "CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 cinnamon --replace &"
Voilà !

No more horrible glitches while opening/closing the menu, no more ghosts while dragging/closing windows, etc, etc...

Just try it.
sb56637

Post by sb56637 »

xenopeek wrote:I think it will fall back to software rendering automatically if your graphics driver reports capabilities that are insufficient to run Cinnamon with hardware acceleration, and that you will have the choice at the login screen between running a session with Cinnamon + hardware acceleration or Cinnamon + software rendering. So in case of buggy graphics driver, the user would at least have the choice to switch to software rendering at the login screen.
A Cinnamon+Software rendering option sounds like a good idea for the available sessions.

Thanks for answering my questions!
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

And finally it came under the name Cinnamon-2D: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/06/cinnamon ... e-new.html
(a little bit confusing name because it certanly is 3D, it's exactly the same Cinnamon we all know but with software rendering instead of hardware rendering and some bling disabled to speed it up).
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

esteban1uy wrote:(a little bit confusing name because it certanly is 3D, it's exactly the same Cinnamon we all know but with software rendering instead of hardware rendering and some bling disabled to speed it up).
Haha, and the very first comment confirms the mentioned confusion:
Why a 2D session? Just implement the software renderer like Gnome did. That's one less project to maintain.
:D

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”