How to install additional Plymouth themes on Maya?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TRZALICA

How to install additional Plymouth themes on Maya?

Post by TRZALICA »

I have one irritating problem with splash (or plymouth?) screen in Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon.

I tried to change black splash screen with this command from http://linuxmint.com/rel_maya.php :
sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

But it doesn't change anything... I tried to change splash screen with Plymouth manager and I did change splash screen to Linux Mint splash screen with four dots (loading dots).
But I can't change it in anything else and I have about 60 splash screens but when I restart my machine nothing changes.

Please help!!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to install additional Plymouth themes on Maya?

Post by xenopeek »

Assuming you have copied the Plymouth theme files to a subdirectory in /lib/plymouth/themes, you need to add that theme as a alternative before you can use update-alternatives to switch to it.

Let's look shortly at the current output of "sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth":

Code: Select all

There are 2 choices for the alternative default.plymouth (providing /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth).

Selection    Path                                               Priority   Status
------------------------------------------------------------
* 0            /lib/plymouth/themes/no-logo/no-logo.plymouth       200       auto mode
  1            /lib/plymouth/themes/mint-logo/mint-logo.plymouth   150       manual mode
  2            /lib/plymouth/themes/no-logo/no-logo.plymouth       200       manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:
From the "Path" column you can see "/lib/plymouth/themes" is where you need to put a subdirectory for your theme, "no-logo" in the first line. Then you need to find the .plymouth file in that subdirectory, "no-logo.plymouth" in the first line.

If you have copied your new theme to a new subdirectory under "/lib/plymouth/themes", then we can add the alternative. I don't have an extra Plymouth theme, but I see there are a few themes in that directory already. I'll use the subdirectory "mint-text" as an example, which has the "mint-text.plymouth" file. To add this as an alternative run the following command (it is one line):

sudo update-alternatives --install /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /lib/plymouth/themes/mint-text/mint-text.plymouth 100
To clarify:
sudo update-alternatives --install /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /lib/plymouth/themes/mint-text/mint-text.plymouth 100
You replace the red part with the full path to the .plymouth file in your theme. You replace the blue part with the priority you want to give this alternative. I've set it safely low so that is isn't activated without you also running "sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth" to pick your theme. If you set the priority higher than any of the other themes (250 for example), it gets activated as part of the above command immediately.

That's the theory at least, let us know how it goes and if the themes work :D
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

Thank you Vincent on fast response and your help! :)

...meantime i tried something little bit different...

I wrote following commands in terminal:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mefrio-g/plymouthmanager
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install plymouth-manager

Then, I installed all the Themes for Plymouth with this command:

sudo apt-get install plymouth-theme*

To change theme you need following command:

And now, enter theme number which you want to apply and press enter.

Than enter the following command in the terminal:

sudo update-initramfs -u (If this command shows error, Enter once again)

You need to enter: sudo update-initramfs -u every time after changing theme!!!! This was that piece of puzzle I didn't know...
But it's also interesting to know on which way we can change the priority of our themes - thanks once again Vincent!! :)
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

You need to run the following command lines to fix the delayed loading of the splash:

sudo -s
echo FRAMEBUFFER=y >>/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
update-initramfs -u

andhey presto u get a fine splash!!
Brahim Salem

Re: Plymouth themes: Fix, install, edit and create in LM13!!

Post by Brahim Salem »

1-To change the default splash screen:

sudo update-initramfs -u

2-To fix the delayed loading of the splash:

sudo -s
update-initramfs -u

3-To edit existing themes: ( I'm going to edit a theme called plymouth-theme-LMDE which you can download from https://launchpad.net/~mefrio-g/+archiv ... hive-extra)

sudo gimp /lib/plymouth/themes/LMDE/background.png
you can copy,paste,replace and resize with gimp!

4- To install new themes manually:

First copy the downloaded theme to /lib/plymouth/themes/mytheme; Then execute (replace mytheme with the name of the theme you are installing):

sudo update-alternatives --install /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /lib/plymouth/themes/mytheme/mytheme.plymouth 100
sudo update-initramfs -u

5- To create a very basic theme (wallpaper only) try the following:

1. sudo mkdir /lib/plymouth/themes/simple

2. Find a wallpaper you like and copy it to /lib/plymouth/themes/simple/wallpaper.png (must be a png!)

2. sudo gedit /lib/plymouth/themes/simple/simple.plymouth and paste the following:

[Plymouth Theme]
Name=Simple
Description=Wallpaper only
ModuleName=script

[script]
ImageDir=/lib/plymouth/themes/simple
ScriptFile=/lib/plymouth/themes/simple/simple.script

3. sudo gedit /lib/plymouth/themes/simple/simple.script and paste the following:

wallpaper_image = Image(“wallpaper.png”);
screen_width = Window.GetWidth();
screen_height = Window.GetHeight();
resized_wallpaper_image = wallpaper_image.Scale(screen_width,screen_height);
wallpaper_sprite = Sprite(resized_wallpaper_image);
wallpaper_sprite.SetZ(-100);

4. sudo update-alternatives --install /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /lib/plymouth/themes/simple/simple.plymouth 100

5. sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth (select simple from the list)

6. sudo update-initramfs -u

Reboot and you should see a boot splash of the image you copied.

For more details on creating plymouth themes check out: http://brej.org/blog/?p=197

6-To fix it for Nvidia/ATI Cards:

Open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T)and enter the following commands:

The easiest way to fix the ugly plymouth theme Open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and enter the following commands:

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
Look for the line :

#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
Just underneath write the line :

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=auto
If this does not fix your problem replace "GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=auto" with:

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX="1024x768"
then update grub with this command line:

sudo update-grub
reboot and your fine :D

Solution tested with fashion theme http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=163634

BTW this solution did not work for me http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/how-to-g ... vidia.html

Tip:

to test plymouth install plymouth-x11 by typing the following in terminal:

sudo apt-get install plymouth-x11
then use the attached script. Or create an excutable script with the following content:

#!/bin/bash
#requires plymouth-x11 installed
#sudo apt-get install plymouth-x11
echo
echo "Running 30-second test..."
sudo plymouthd ; sudo plymouth --show-splash ; for ((I=0; I<30; I++)); do sleep 1 ; sudo plymouth --update=test$I ; done ; sudo plymouth --quit
exit
Last edited by Brahim Salem on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

:shock: :D Awesome! Thanks for writing that up.
Brahim Salem

bootsplash LM13

Post by Brahim Salem »

Linux Mint 13 doesn't load plymouth themes on restart and shutdown but it does on startup!!can anyone help me fix this please??This is ugly!!!!! I assume it's a bug in mdm!!
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

I have one new problem with plymouth themes... Every time I update my Mint 13 error appears after package installation...
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Four plymouth themes have broken packages:-

plymouth-theme-lmint
plymouth-theme-mib-oxygen
plymouth-theme-mib-ubuntu
plymouth-theme-spinfinity-ubuntu-women

you can remove the broken packages thus:-
sudo apt-get remove plymouth-theme-lmint plymouth-theme-mib-oxygen plymouth-theme-mib-ubuntu plymouth-theme-spinfinity-ubuntu-women

to remove packages that were automatically
installed to satisfy dependencies for some package and that are no
more needed, run:

sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get autoremove

If you'd like to free up drive space, a useful and safe command is...

sudo apt-get clean

That removes the aptitude cache in /var/cache/apt/archives

Alternative: to delete unnecessary files to free valuable disk space, you can simply install Bleachbit and (as root) tick;

autoclean
autoremove
clean

then click on delete
Cake ain't it!!!
Brahim Salem

No splash screen on restart and shutdown in Linux Mint 13

Post by Brahim Salem »

splash screen doesn't show up while restarting or shutting down Linux Mint 13 Maya I see instead a text saying "Cannot write Bytes, Broken Pipe" . But the splash does show up during startup. By the way the same thing happened with 7 other friends in Cinnamon and in Mate.Please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

I get this:

Warning: No support for locale: en_US.utf8
Errors were encountered while processing:
plymouth-theme-kubuntu-logo
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

when trying to enter, for example, this command:
sudo apt-get remove plymouth-theme-lmint plymouth-theme-mib-oxygen plymouth-theme-mib-ubuntu plymouth-theme-spinfinity-ubuntu-women

I set Croatian keyboard as my default but that doesn't have any links with this problem, isn't it?

Please help, this is really irritating... I think that main problem is this part - Warning: No support for locale: en_US.utf8
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

You could try regenerating your list of locales with

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

For me the result was:

Generating locales...
en_AG.UTF-8... done
en_AU.UTF-8... done
en_BW.UTF-8... done
en_CA.UTF-8... done
en_DK.UTF-8... done
en_GB.UTF-8... done
en_HK.UTF-8... done
en_IE.UTF-8... done
en_IN.UTF-8... done
en_NG.UTF-8... done
en_NZ.UTF-8... done
en_PH.UTF-8... done
en_SG.UTF-8... done
en_US.UTF-8... up-to-date
en_ZA.UTF-8... done
en_ZM.UTF-8... done
en_ZW.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.

Then resetting your local locale with:

sudo update-locale LANG=en_US.UTF-8

i.e. use one of the Locale values in the output above
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

OK, this is what I did and result is perfect! :D
Thank you Brahim for help but there are few small things that I had to add...
It goes like this:

enter sudo su in terminal and then (I will write these in steps):

1.) sudo update-initramfs -u -k all

2.) sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

3.) sudo update-initramfs -u -k all

4.) sudo locale-gen --purge --no-archive

5.) sudo update-locale LANG=en_US.UTF-8

6.) sudo update-initramfs -u -k all

And that all folks!! ;))

But I have one BIG PROBLEM again!!!! Every time when I run update of my packages I get this error: error exit status 2 inside plymouth-theme-kubuntu-logo... :(

How can I fix that???? I googled the net but I couldn't find good solution for that error... I tried with sudo apt-get --purge remove plymouth-theme-kubuntu-logo - nothing changed
Then, I tried with this but I don't know how to continue: sudo dpkg --remove -force --force-remove-reinstreq plymouth-theme-kubuntu-logo

Please help!!!! This is really big problem because I can't install any update.
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

I gave up with this error exit status 2 problem - it was too complicated. New instalation of Mint 13 is set. It's not recommented to install all themes for plymouth with following command which I wrote before in a post: sudo apt-get install plymouth-theme*

But must say that there was again error message Warning: No support for locale: en_US.utf8 on clean Mint 13 install so I don't know if this is a bug that is included only in this release of Linux Mint or what, because there was no such problem in Linux Mint 10??!?

All in all, I fix that as I wrote in my post earlier - piece of cake! :)
Last edited by TRZALICA on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I guessTRZALICA ur system has gone Bugs Bunny! lol! Here are some links of some beautiful splash screens for Linux Mint. Just download then install them with Gdebi Package Installer:

1- Download plymouth-theme-mint-logo + plymouth-theme-mint-text from http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Katya (if ur using Maya just run the following command lines to get it working properly because it's installed by default:
sudo update-initramfs -u
then:
sudo -s
update-initramfs -u

2- Download plymouth-theme-lmde_0.5.0-1_all.deb from https://launchpad.net/~mefrio-g/+archiv ... hive-extra
then edit the background image with this command :
sudo gimp /lib/plymouth/themes/LMDE/background.png
then replace it with any picture you want because it's made for the debian edition. You can get a decent pic.(which I made myself) from http://linuxmint-art.org/content/show.p ... ent=151349

3- Download plymouth-theme-mint-green-cloud_0.5.0-1_all.deb from https://launchpad.net/~ingalex/+archive ... hive-extra

4- Download plymouth-theme-mint-sunrise_0.5.0-1_all.deb from https://launchpad.net/~mefrio-g/+archiv ... hive-extra

5- Download plymouth-theme-spinfinity-mint-one_0.5.0-1_all.deb from https://launchpad.net/~mefrio-g/+archiv ... hive-extra

6- Download plymouth-theme-spinfinity-mint-two_0.5.0-1_all.deb from https://launchpad.net/~mefrio-g/+archiv ... hive-extra

7- Download plymouth-theme-mint-does-seven_0.5.0-1_all.deb from https://launchpad.net/~mefrio-g/+archiv ... hive-extra

8- Download plymouth-theme-int-mint_0.5.0-1_all.deb from https://launchpad.net/~mefrio-g/+archiv ... hive-extra

9- Download plymouth-theme-mint-kde from http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php? ... sadora-KDE

These are stable themes Mr.TRZALICA!!! U don't need to worry that much!!! Linux Mint is safe to use!!! :D :lol:

By the By you don't need to install plymouth manager and all it's buggy themes anymore!! That's all folks mate :D
Brahim Salem

no splash screen on restart and shutdown in Linux Mint 13

Post by Brahim Salem »

splash screen doesn't show up while restarting or shutting down Linux Mint 13 Maya I see instead a text saying "Cannot write Bytes, Broken Pipe" . But the splash does show up during startup. By the way the same thing happened with 7 other friends in Cinnamon and in Mate.Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp plz!!!!
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Updated the above tutorial :D

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”