mint4win fails (64 bit)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
steviejay

mint4win fails (64 bit)

Post by steviejay »

I’m having trouble getting Mint 13 Cinnamon 64 bit to install using mint4win.

The installer goes through its usual process, I enter my options, username and password, then the installer runs and appears to complete but on reboot it loads a ‘Live’ desktop? i.e Install Linux Mint icon on the desktop, Terminal shows ‘mint@mint instead of my chosen username and I can log in with ‘mint’ as the username and blank password but my chosen username & PW are rejected.

I have tried with both a DVD disc and a USB stick from two different downloads of the .iso and I get the same result each time. Is this a known issue? Image

EDIT - Also after install no changes are saved between sessions (removed apps reappear & newly installed apps disappear, all customisations lost and desktop reverts to default etc.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: mint4win fails (64 bit)

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
Total_Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Re: mint4win (13) fails (64 bit)

Post by Total_Blue »

I am having the same issue trying to install LM 13 64bit Cinnamon. I tried mounting the iso as a DVD and running mint4win from there, and copying it to the hard drive. Both times, it said it was continuing installation, but then loaded up to a copy of the LiveDVD. :(
alexmocanu

Post by alexmocanu »

I'm encountering the same issue while installing Linux Mint 13 64bit MATE. The first part of the installation works but when I reboot the system to continue with the installation it loads a copy of the Live DVD...it doesn't ask for username/password and any changes are lost between reboots.

Is there a way to avoid this issue?
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

My guess is that you're booting from the DVD/USB instead of your hard drive. I haven't used mint4win in a while, but can you remove the DVD before you reboot? Also, you could try changing your boot order so you boot from the hard disk instead of the DVD/USB
alexmocanu

Post by alexmocanu »

cwwgateway wrote:My guess is that you're booting from the DVD/USB instead of your hard drive. I haven't used mint4win in a while, but can you remove the DVD before you reboot? Also, you could try changing your boot order so you boot from the hard disk instead of the DVD/USB
I forgot to mention that I mounted the ISO with Daemon Tools (a dvd drive emulator) and installed from a virtual DVD drive which is available only in Windows. The system does boot from the hard drive (I boot into Linux Mint from Windows 7's boot menu) and it loads copy of the Live DVD...

The first stage (the windows part) of the installer works...language selection, entering username/password, etc. and when I reboot it says that it's continuing with the installation and then it loads a copy of the Live DVD.

Is there any way I could help track down this issue further?
steviejay

Post by steviejay »

cwwgateway wrote:My guess is that you're booting from the DVD/USB instead of your hard drive. I haven't used mint4win in a while, but can you remove the DVD before you reboot? Also, you could try changing your boot order so you boot from the hard disk instead of the DVD/USB

I've tried to install via DVD and USB stick. Each time I removed the media and changed my boot order back to HDD before rebooting.

In any case I've done a full install alongside Win 7 now so it's no longer a problem for me.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

steviejay wrote:

I've tried to install via DVD and USB stick. Each time I removed the media and changed my boot order back to HDD before rebooting.

In any case I've done a full install alongside Win 7 now so it's no longer a problem for me.
I tried mint4win out today and I had the same problem (after removing the USB) so I have no idea, although I also do a normal install so it isn't a problem for me.
livejamie

Post by livejamie »

Same exact problem
Total_Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Total_Blue »

From Other threads, I found out that Mint4Win has been changed to make it less user friendly. :shock: After the system reboots and you see the Install Linux Mint, double click on it. You will now be put into the Advanced setup screen. From here you have to choose to install to /dev/Loop2. Be VERY careful here as you have the potential or really bonkling up your Windows installation if you make the wrong choice. :roll:
herb80

Post by herb80 »

Hi Guys.

New problem shows up. Did it like you all. Mint4win install during Windows 7 which worked out. Reboot, and start the Linux Mint 13 in this "live mode".

Then clicked on "Install Mint" and tried to start the installation. Somehow the computer coudln't find any partition. So, it's not possible to choose loop2 etc.
Sorry I cannot describe it better. Maybe the attached files say more than words.

Any idea?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

-Herb.
livejamie

Post by livejamie »

It's nice to post workarounds and try to wiggle our way around it but the principle of the matter is that this is a large, glaring bug in the latest release.

There are 7 guests viewing this topic, I'd say that's a good indication of how widespread this is.

The whole purpose of mint4win is an easy install/uninstall within Windows without having to mess with this kind of stuff. What if a person's partitions are different? An install like this could easily cause people unfamiliar with Linux (the target audience of this tool) to do some bad things to the data on their hard drive.

This should be a large priority bug and I assume just a config file or something within Mint that wasn't changed over to work with the new release.
livejamie

Post by livejamie »

Thanks for responding but this also happens when installing with a mounted .ISO file, so it can't be that.

I've created a bug report for this problem:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1009232

Feel free to add any pertinent information.

Thanks.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

livejamie wrote:It's nice to post workarounds and try to wiggle our way around it but the principle of the matter is that this is a large, glaring bug in the latest release.
I agree.
There are 7 guests viewing this topic, I'd say that's a good indication of how widespread this is.
If you are looking at the number of guests at the bottom, that is the number on the forum (which is mint4win) I think, although I'm not sure
The whole purpose of mint4win is an easy install/uninstall within Windows without having to mess with this kind of stuff. What if a person's partitions are different? An install like this could easily cause people unfamiliar with Linux (the target audience of this tool) to do some bad things to the data on their hard drive.
I agree, and I think mint4win is a big selling point of Mint (and wubi is big for Ubuntu). It is what brought me to Linux (both to Ubuntu and then to Mint).
This should be a large priority bug and I assume just a config file or something within Mint that wasn't changed over to work with the new release.
Again, I agree.
livejamie

Post by livejamie »

If you sign into Launchpad you can click that the bug effects you, that way the devs will see it sooner I assume.

We'll get this sorted out. :D
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

livejamie wrote:If you sign into Launchpad you can click that the bug effects yo
Done.
grml4d

Post by grml4d »

linux mint does not autostart the install .
look at the picture of herb80 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:12 pm , the loop partition to install is missing , you should have a loop2 that is having the size you have set with the windows tool .
last thing , when it ask for grub partition , reselect the loop2 ;']
so it ll be inside the file of the hard-drive
herb80

Post by herb80 »

Thanks for your help grml4d,

I dont't have to option the choose a partition after clicking the install mint icon. It opens the windows for language choosing and then the window where I should be able to choose the partition.
But the screen stays grey. it doesn't show me any drive at all. The buttons are also grey and not clickable. (except cancel ;).

Any idea to fix the problem?

Thank you in advance guys for taking you time.

-Herb.
grml4d

Post by grml4d »

unistall mint using the windows control panel , then use the control panel tool : performance to remove the old temp file of hds and even clean your browser cache
then dowload and use http://www.piriform.com/defraggler , start by checking the hds and then defrag them .
after that retry the windows install of mint . may be you only forgot to set size ... i have 30 Go as a max , good size for linux and update
herb80

Post by herb80 »

grml4d wrote:unistall mint using the windows control panel , then use the control panel tool : performance to remove the old temp file of hds and even clean your browser cache
then dowload and use http://www.piriform.com/defraggler , start by checking the hds and then defrag them .
after that retry the windows install of mint . may be you only forgot to set size ... i have 30 Go as a max , good size for linux and update
Hi,

okay. So I uninstalled the Mint Linux by using the windows control panel. To be specific I used the revo uninstaller, which deletes all the temp files too. The browser cache was cleaned by using the ccleaner. After that I checked the HDs with defraggler. Health of the HD is good. So far no problem. Then defragged the HDs.

Then I installed mint 64 again. I have chosen 30 gb of size, as you suggested.

But... same problem. :(

Thanks anyway.

Do you (or anyone else) have any further idea? I'd really love to use mint4win because its perfect!

I tried the installation again. Same problem. But I forgot to mention the error code. "No root system" Maybe this helps to find the failure?

Return to “Installation & Boot”