No sound in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
georgezilla

No sound in LMDE

Post by georgezilla »

Installed LMDE 201204 on my HP ze4400us. Works out of the box. Everything! Cool.

Like what I see, so decide to put it on my desktop. Had some trouble with the video driver, but worked it out.

But then suprise!! NO SOUND! Nota, nothing,zero, zip! It has on-board sound, and the snd_via82xx driver is loaded. Nothing. No where. Period. So I put in an SB Audigy1 (SB0092). Recognized it, loaded the driver (snd_emu10k1) and ......

Again, nothing. No matter the program using it. No matter which device. Nothing. Do both the sound devices work? Both work out of the box from the live LM Mate DVD. But LMDE? Nope. To bad. I really liked the idea of not using an Ubuntu derivative.

But no sound is a destro killer.

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lucinos

Re: No sound in LMDE

Post by lucinos »

I have the exactly same problem on my desktop using LiveDVD (not installed yet because of this). On my laptop I have sound.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

you can try mads' procedure to remove pulse and install alsa

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... move+pulse
lucinos

UPDATE!!!

Post by lucinos »

I hold my breath and installed LMDX 64bit
I googled the problem more and instead of doing the above I did what Mark Rijckenberg (markrijckenberg) says at https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s ... ion/150750

THAT SEEMS TO FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!
the solution is in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf add the line

Code: Select all

options snd-hda-intel model=generic
georgezilla

Post by georgezilla »

Nope, neither of the listed fixes had any effect.
TheMintyFreshMan

Post by TheMintyFreshMan »

lucinos wrote:I hold my breath and installed LMDX 64bit
I googled the problem more and instead of doing the above I did what Mark Rijckenberg (markrijckenberg) says at https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s ... ion/150750

THAT SEEMS TO FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!
the solution is in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf add the line

Code: Select all

options snd-hda-intel model=generic
This works for me. If you haven't upgraded to UP6, do so, and then try it again. Good Luck!
jkingdom3

Post by jkingdom3 »

Removing pulse and installing alsa worked for me (I tried the other solution first but got no results).
romanyacik

Post by romanyacik »

I've tried everything! restarting pulse by deleting /home/username/.pulse folder, removing pulse installing alsa. Nothing works! the best I can do is get sounds in apps, but the OS itself makes no sounds at all when my speakers are plugged into audio jack. I am using the onboard jack on a GA-LMT78-USB3 board, with an AMD-4170 CPU, running 64 bit update pack7 with Cinnamon. I do not have an audio card. HELP!!!
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

FYI LMDE system's sound event is disabled by default. you need to install canberra libs to make it work. this thread is too old. please make another thread and specify your problem so that we could identify it.
romanyacik

Post by romanyacik »

romanyacik wrote:I've tried everything! restarting pulse by deleting /home/username/.pulse folder, removing pulse installing alsa. Nothing works! the best I can do is get sounds in apps, but the OS itself makes no sounds at all when my speakers are plugged into audio jack. I am using the onboard jack on a GA-LMT78-USB3 board, with an AMD-4170 CPU, running 64 bit update pack7 with Cinnamon. I do not have an audio card. HELP!!!
please disregard my previous message quoted here. Problem fixed itself when I upgraded to UP 8.

Return to “LMDE Archive”