Mint Julia needing driver for Intel 82845G/GL

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaiz007

DESKTOP SETTINGS COULD NOT BE ENABLED

Post by jaiz007 »

I am using Linux Mint 10 Julia.
When I try to change Visual effects it says "DESKTOP SETTINGS COULD NOT BE ENABLED". Also Compiz doesn't work for me.

There was no xorg.conf file in my /etc/X11 folder. So I created one myself. Now when I run compiz-check I get the following output:
Distribution: Linux Mint
Desktop environment: GNOME
Graphics chip: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)
Driver in use: intel
Rendering method: AIGLX

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system...

Checking for texture_from_pixmap... [ OK ]
Checking for non power of two support... [ OK ]
Checking for composite extension... [ OK ]
Checking for FBConfig... [ OK ]
Checking for hardware/setup problems... [ OK ]
----------
After running compiz-replace in terminal, I get the output :

Blacklisted PCI ID 8086:2562 detected

Launching fallback window manager
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Error converting selection
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Error converting selection
-------
So it seems my GPU is blacklisted by compiz.

BUt it still says "DESKTOP SETTINGS COULD NOT BE ENABLED" when i try to change visual effects. Why does that happen? It dosent have anything to do with compiz I guess..
jaiz007

Re: Mint Julia needing driver for Intel 82845G/GL

Post by jaiz007 »

AlbertP wrote:Where did you find that "Visual Effects" option?

When I right click on Desktop-> Change Desktop Background-->Visual Effects--> and choose any of the effects other than "NONE", i get the message "Desktop Settings could not be Enabled"
jaiz007

Post by jaiz007 »

AlbertP wrote:Where did you find that "Visual Effects" option?
When I right click on Desktop-> Change Desktop Background-->Visual Effects--> and choose any of the effects other than "NONE", i get the message "Desktop Settings could not be Enabled"
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

As I said Mint 10 is obsoleted - I didn't know about these settings. But I think they are from Compiz as well. Which means that you won't get it working on the Intel 845 graphics.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: DESKTOP SETTINGS COULD NOT BE ENABLED

Post by xenopeek »

Topics merged by moderator
jaiz007 wrote:When I try to change Visual effects it says "DESKTOP SETTINGS COULD NOT BE ENABLED". Also Compiz doesn't work for me.
jaiz007, that seems to be what AlbertP is helping you with here. So please do not cross-post to another section of the forum :wink:
jaiz007 wrote:When I right click on Desktop-> Change Desktop Background-->Visual Effects--> and choose any of the effects other than "NONE", i get the message "Desktop Settings could not be Enabled"
Yes, I can confirm this is a configuration program for Compiz (I used it way back). It is a much simpler version of the Compiz Configuration Settings Manager, that just lets you chose between a few preset configurations instead of fully configuring Compiz.

If Compiz isn't supported on your hardware, these visual effects won't either as they are just a preset configuration selection on Compiz.

With Linux Mint 10 having reached end-of-support, you won't be getting any updates to drivers so I think this isn't fixable.
jaiz007

Re: DESKTOP SETTINGS COULD NOT BE ENABLED

Post by jaiz007 »

xenopeek wrote:Topics merged by moderator
jaiz007 wrote:When I try to change Visual effects it says "DESKTOP SETTINGS COULD NOT BE ENABLED". Also Compiz doesn't work for me.
jaiz007, that seems to be what AlbertP is helping you with here. So please do not cross-post to another section of the forum :wink:
jaiz007 wrote:When I right click on Desktop-> Change Desktop Background-->Visual Effects--> and choose any of the effects other than "NONE", i get the message "Desktop Settings could not be Enabled"
Yes, I can confirm this is a configuration program for Compiz (I used it way back). It is a much simpler version of the Compiz Configuration Settings Manager, that just lets you chose between a few preset configurations instead of fully configuring Compiz.

If Compiz isn't supported on your hardware, these visual effects won't either as they are just a preset configuration selection on Compiz.

With Linux Mint 10 having reached end-of-support, you won't be getting any updates to drivers so I think this isn't fixable.
Ok.. So that means there is no solution to this problem.. Its very sad. :(
jaiz007

Post by jaiz007 »

AlbertP wrote:As I said Mint 10 is obsoleted - I didn't know about these settings. But I think they are from Compiz as well. Which means that you won't get it working on the Intel 845 graphics.
Ok.. So what would you suggest me as a last option.? Get a new Graphics card for my machine??? :?:
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I would recommend to get a cheap second-hand Radeon 9000 series AGP card, or a GeForce 6200 AGP.

At least, if your computer has an AGP slot. There are also computers with 845GL that don't have one.

This wikipedia image shows the slots for expansion cards, that you may be able to find in your computer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AGP_slot.jpg
The purple one is the AGP slot. It can also be brown or blue. The key in the middle of the slot may be absent.

If your computer only has the white PCI slots, you can maybe get a PCI card from Sparkle's GeForce 8000 PCI series for it. Don't confuse PCI with PCIe (PCI Express). Intel 845 based computers have no PCIe slots. (Most GeForce 8000 series cards are PCIe)
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
jaiz007

Post by jaiz007 »

AlbertP wrote:I would recommend to get a cheap second-hand Radeon 9000 series AGP card, or a GeForce 6200 AGP.

At least, if your computer has an AGP slot. There are also computers with 845GL that don't have one.

This wikipedia image shows the slots for expansion cards, that you may be able to find in your computer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AGP_slot.jpg
The purple one is the AGP slot. It can also be brown or blue. The key in the middle of the slot may be absent.

If your computer only has the white PCI slots, you can maybe get a PCI card from Sparkle's GeForce 8000 PCI series for it. Don't confuse PCI with PCIe (PCI Express). Intel 845 based computers have no PCIe slots. (Most GeForce 8000 series cards are PCIe)
Thanks a lot. I will check it out..

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”