Missing printer icon in system tray

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
feodor
Level 1
Level 1

Missing printer icon in system tray

Post by feodor »

I used to have a printer icon appearing in my system tray whenever I printed something; somehow it has gone missing. Can someone help me get it back, please?

If I right-click the system tray and select "system tray settings" the printer icon is not mentioned anywhere (in particular the problem is not that I have managed to change its status to 'Hidden' in the settings).

I am using Mint 9-KDE

Feodor
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
feodor
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Missing printer icon in system tray

Post by feodor »

I've managed to do a little hunting since my original posting. The "printer icon" is the printer-applet which I can quite easily start by

Code: Select all

sudo printer-applet &
This brings back the icon but it does not respond as it used to: It used to only appear in the system tray whenever something was printing (being sent to the printer) -now it is either constantly present or always hidden- and it does not notice when I print.

So I guess I am looking for help on how to start it so that it behaves as it did when I first installed Mint.

Feodor
hannupuhakka

Post by hannupuhakka »

Printer Applet hidden somewhere! How can I catch it??
Printer Applet was long time at the panel. Then it disappeared - maybe my mistake. How can I get the printer system mostly to delete inappropriate printing tasks - started because printer was not on or was at different network environment.
I cannot find any "printer" application. "Printer applet" is still alive - I can see the messages appearing sometimes when printing to another printer.
There is no "printer" processes even at "System monitor"...
Hannu
Jonathan Spearman

Post by Jonathan Spearman »

hannupuhakka wrote:Printer Applet hidden somewhere! How can I catch it??
Printer Applet was long time at the panel. Then it disappeared - maybe my mistake. How can I get the printer system mostly to delete inappropriate printing tasks - started because printer was not on or was at different network environment.
I cannot find any "printer" application. "Printer applet" is still alive - I can see the messages appearing sometimes when printing to another printer.
There is no "printer" processes even at "System monitor"...
Hannu

Not sure I understand your issue, but have you checked in system settings to see if the printer is installed. If it is, then it should show up in the system tray, check the system tray settings and make sure that Manage print jobs is checked, and notifications.
hannupuhakka

Post by hannupuhakka »

Hi
What do you mean with "System tray"?? - at "System Settings" you can find "Hardware" and Printer Configuration. It works well and all printers also. Only I cannot stop the printer queu. If I print to a printer, which is not on or not now available, the system tries to print it every time when I print something, but I cannot kill the queu. The label "Printer Applet" appears and give warning: "Printer xx may not be connected" - even multible boxes. These labels appear on a pile - about 10 labels after another..
If I have tried to print 3 times to a not available printer on my office then when I reach my office the printer prints 3 times 50 pages document. How can I kill the queu? Even shutdown does not kill the queu!!!?!?!?

The "System Monitor" which should show all processes, does not show any name like "print*" or 'applet*'..
System Settings: Version 1.0. Using KDE Development Platform 4.8.5 (4.8.5). System Monitor Version 4.8.5.

I tried to change printer configuration settings: "Allow users to cancel any job.." and got an error: "There was an error during the CUPS operation: "Failed to set settings""...

What is CUPS?

Return to “Software & Applications”