Mint Compiz friendly

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Mint Compiz friendly

Post by Goz »

Compiz is an important accessory for folks with eyesight problems and it also has the best way to zoom (scroll bar/superkey).
I'm hoping that you can make at least versions with Mate Compiz friendly and perhaps add scroll/super zoom to cinnamon.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint Compiz friendly

Post by xenopeek »

On MATE, if you open "Keyboard Shortcuts" from the Preferences menu, you can configure the shortcut key to toggle the magnifier. If you prefer Compiz, MATE comes with Compiz already installed, I think you just need to add the package compizconfig-settings-manager to be able to configure it.

Cinnamon on Linux Mint 13 is extremely easy to configure for zooming. Just go to System Tools > System Settings > Keyboard. On the Shortcuts tab select "Universal Access" on the left and you can configure the shortcut key to enable/disable zoom and the keys to zoom in and out. Couldn't be easier :wink: For those with other accessibility needs, check System Settings > Universal Access where you can configure help for those with trouble seeing, hearing or mobility (for some you configure the shortcut keys to enable/disable also in the above location).

Compiz may help on MATE, but I think it is not needed on Cinnamon due to the excellent integration of accessibility tools in the Gnome 3 core.
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

Excellent.Didn't know that.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
rojthevorlon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rojthevorlon »

xenopeek wrote:On MATE, if you open "Keyboard Shortcuts" from the Preferences menu, you can configure the shortcut key to toggle the magnifier. If you prefer Compiz, MATE comes with Compiz already installed, I think you just need to add the package compizconfig-settings-manager to be able to configure it.

Cinnamon on Linux Mint 13 is extremely easy to configure for zooming. Just go to System Tools > System Settings > Keyboard. On the Shortcuts tab select "Universal Access" on the left and you can configure the shortcut key to enable/disable zoom and the keys to zoom in and out. Couldn't be easier :wink: For those with other accessibility needs, check System Settings > Universal Access where you can configure help for those with trouble seeing, hearing or mobility (for some you configure the shortcut keys to enable/disable also in the above location).

Compiz may help on MATE, but I think it is not needed on Cinnamon due to the excellent integration of accessibility tools in the Gnome 3 core.
I'm sorry but Gnome3 accessibility is not at all excellent. In fact, it's pretty poor, especially when taken in the context of Compiz-driven releases such as Mint 10 / Ubuntu 10.10. First of all, zooming is NOT smooth the way it is on Compiz and available only via the keyboard - no mousewheel zoom. Secondly, on Cinnamon it's badly broken because context menus do not magnify after you zoom in the first time. On subsequent zooms, they stay regular size. Finally, the mouse cursor is not visible in context menus when the desktop is zoomed.

All in all, it's a complete disaster in Cinnamon at present - I've reported the issues but there doesn't appear to be any traction on them yet.
goinglinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by goinglinux »

You might want to check out this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=101612 It describes a solution that actually gives you REAL alt-mousewheel zoom under Cinnamon, thanks to an update from Tobias Quinn to his package gnome-shell-mousewheel-zoom.
Ubuntu MATE 18.04 64-bit · Dell XPS 13 9360 · Core i7 · 16GB RAM · 512 GB NVMe SSD

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”