linux mint 13 MATE: best os ever

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AAAAH!ERMAGAWD!HELP!

linux mint 13 MATE: best os ever

Post by AAAAH!ERMAGAWD!HELP! »

I'm no longer testing out Linux Mint 13 Mate. I've started project folders, setup my gnucash accounts, added my custom launchers to the mint menu, setup Wine stuff, and setup Virtualbox stuff.

Mint 13 Mate is a workhorse. My netbook is heavily used for personal stuff, school, and work. I feel like Mate is a professional's desktop environment.

Everything runs perfect. I've noticed all the little improvements the Mint developers have made and they're right on target.

It's official! I can only call Linux Mint 13 Mate the best OS ever.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: linux mint 13 MATE: best os ever

Post by xenopeek »

Go give some appreciation also to the MATE developers :wink: http://mate-desktop.org/ Though Linux Mint's developers are also involved with MATE, the project has its own team of developers and maintainers.

But good to read you have "moved in" :mrgreen:
gary428509

Post by gary428509 »

LXDE is the best.
AAAAH!ERMAGAWD!HELP!

gary428509 wrote:LXDE is the best.
I've tried LXDE for a while. I always ran into weird issues with it. Maybe as a hobby I could get it working for me. MATE is not a hobby DE.

Maybe LXDE is for computer science people.

MATE is for general users who need to do work.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Use whatever works for you :wink: Celebrate that on Linux we have so much choice :D
AAAAH!ERMAGAWD!HELP!

xenopeek wrote:Use whatever works for you :wink: Celebrate that on Linux we have so much choice :D
Very true!
lexon

Post by lexon »

I just upgraded from Mint 9 Gnome to Mint 13 Mate. Quite nice. Appreciate the upgrade.
Now to see if I can download You Tube videos and convert to MP4 as easily as Windows does with Real Player. That is about the only issue that keeps me using Windows once in a great while.
I have been using Linux since Dec. 2003. Love the security.
The only security issue I have ever had was with Yahoo email when my account was hacked for a few minutes and that was nothing to do with Mint. Someone notified me rather quickly and I changed my email password.

L
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

lexon wrote: Now to see if I can download You Tube videos and convert to MP4 as easily as Windows does with Real Player. That is about the only issue that keeps me using Windows once in a great while.
On browser, install video downloadhelper.
when you download youtube, you can choose flv format or mp4 format,
no need to convert..
:mrgreen:
lexon

Post by lexon »

wayne128 wrote:
lexon wrote: Now to see if I can download You Tube videos and convert to MP4 as easily as Windows does with Real Player. That is about the only issue that keeps me using Windows once in a great while.
On browser, install video downloadhelper.
when you download youtube, you can choose flv format or mp4 format,
no need to convert..
:mrgreen:
Do you mean Firefox Add On, Download Helper? That is what I have been using with Firefox with Vista.

L
lexon

Post by lexon »

Ok, thanks. I was just wondering if you meant in the Mint applications is why I asked.

L
lexon

Post by lexon »

Downloaded the Add On. Did not completely work. Some kind of conversion thing needed.
I will continue with the Vista hard drive. It has worked out of the box.

L
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

AAAAH!ERMAGAWD!HELP! wrote: Mint 13 Mate is a workhorse. My netbook is heavily used for personal stuff, school, and work. I feel like Mate is a professional's desktop environment.

Everything runs perfect. I've noticed all the little improvements the Mint developers have made and they're right on target.
After a few days, this is my own impression too. I am not a fiddler. My computer does lots of work (editing, graphics, web design). I just want to set it up as I want it and then leave it to look after itself. Mint 10 did this for me superbly; I am confident that Mint 13 MATE will continue the good work.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

lexon wrote:
Downloaded the Add On. Did not completely work. Some kind of conversion thing needed.
I will continue with the Vista hard drive. It has worked out of the box.

L
I know your post is a week old, but what I use is a site called KeepVid. http://keepvid.com. Just make sure to use Adblock Plus on it just in case they try to get you with pop ups that interfere. The site works well though. I use it often.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”