Maya mint4win installation: initramfs error

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Keshin

Maya mint4win installation: initramfs error

Post by Keshin »

Hi everyone,

I seem to be having an issue installing Maya on my PC through a mint4win installation. I have tried 32 and 64bit for both MATE and Cinnamon, but when they do install (I forget which, but one of them gives me an error message mid-install), I will reboot to install it, and then after about four or five minutes, it will give me an error message:

The error is something like this:

Code: Select all

Busybox v.1.18.5
Ubuntu 1:1.18.5-1ubuntu4
Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
initramfs:
I've tried doing chkdisk /r in Windows to repair it, which is one of the errors I have seen, but nothing came from it. It does this on both my PC, and my father's PC when I went to visit him.

I am able to run it a Live CD and USB without any issues whatsoever, but I prefer being able to uninstall my Mint editions, and running it on a Live USB seems to take forever to load up.

Any ideas on what I should do to get it to install, please? This is winding me up and I can't find out why. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Maya mint4win installation: initramfs error

Post by oobetimer »

Just a thought: have mint4win installed to drive D or how big is the drive C? Some time ago there was the same problem if drive C or D was too far from the beginning of the disk. initramfs error comes when linux does not find its root partition.
Keshin

Post by Keshin »

oobetimer wrote:Just a thought: have mint4win installed to drive D or how big is the drive C? Some time ago there was the same problem if drive C or D was too far from the beginning of the disk. initramfs error comes when linux does not find its root partition.
My current Mint (Mint 12, which I'm on right now) is on Drive D, at 30GB. I uninstalled Mint 12 to install 13 in the same place, at the same size (also tried different sizes), and received this error.

When I installed Ubuntu via WUBI to check if it was a problem with my HDD, it was fine, so I uninstalled it, and reinstalled Mint 12, so I was able to install both without a single problem, but not 13. What could be causing an error for this one, but not the other? :?
breaker

Post by breaker »

It would be the 64bit version that installed. The 32bit version doesn't install per the release notes.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

[moved here]
Keshin

Post by Keshin »

breaker wrote:It would be the 64bit version that installed. The 32bit version doesn't install per the release notes.
I've tried to use the 64bit versions as well, and I'm encountering another error during the installation. I can't even get past the mint4win installation screen. :cry: I cant remember off-hand what the error is off-hand, either, but I think it has something to do with being unable to read the ISO, or the ISO is "empty", or something else.

I will re-try this evening when I'm at home. I'll try Maya MATE 64bit DVD and let you know of the error I'm encountering.
Keshin

Post by Keshin »

Keshin wrote:I will re-try this evening when I'm at home. I'll try Maya MATE 64bit DVD and let you know of the error I'm encountering.
Here it is:
An error occured:

Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO

For more information, please see the log file c:\docume~1\(username)\temp\wubi-13-rev266.log
Which, when reading, says:
06-07 19:24 DEBUG TaskList: ### Running get_metalink...
06-07 19:24 DEBUG downloader: downloading http://fakelink.com/fake.metalink > D:\linuxmint\install
06-07 19:24 ERROR CommonBackend: Cannot download metalink file http://fakelink.com/fake.metalink err=[Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
06-07 19:24 DEBUG downloader: downloading http://fakelink.com/fake.metalink > D:\linuxmint\install
06-07 19:24 ERROR CommonBackend: Cannot download metalink file2 http://fakelink.com/fake.metalink err=[Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
06-07 19:24 DEBUG TaskList: ### Finished get_metalink
06-07 19:24 ERROR TaskList: Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\tasklist.py", line 197, in __call__
File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\backend.py", line 595, in get_iso
File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\backend.py", line 406, in download_iso
Exception: Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO
06-07 19:24 DEBUG TaskList: # Cancelling tasklist
06-07 19:24 DEBUG TaskList: # Finished tasklist
06-07 19:24 ERROR root: Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 58, in run
File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 130, in select_task
File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 205, in run_cd_menu
File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 120, in select_task
File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 158, in run_installer
File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\tasklist.py", line 197, in __call__
File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\backend.py", line 595, in get_iso
File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\backend.py", line 406, in download_iso
Exception: Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO
The version I used was: Linux Mint 13 MATE DVD (with codecs) 64-bit. Downloading without codecs to try now.

Any ideas?
breaker

Post by breaker »

Return to “Installation & Boot”