what type of p2p can i use

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fleamailman

what type of p2p can i use

Post by fleamailman »

No problem if this subject is taboo, just close this thread, but if not please suggest one that works with mint, thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Re: what type of p2p can i use

Post by cmost »

You can use any type of P2P you please...it's your computer and you can do what you want. You don't need the permission of the Mint community or anyone else. P2P has many legitimate uses. I like to use Frostwire (an open clone of Limewire). It's in the repositories, or you can download a Mint compatible deb file from its home page (use the Ubuntu deb.) For BitTorrents, I prefer to use Transmission. It's a stupidly simple yet powerful bittorrent client. If you want to know where to download torrents, I suggest you search Google. Good luck!

On a related note: If you've taken some key system files from the Hardy repositories (to compile the latest GIT version of Compiz-Fusion for example, or for other reasons), then you'll find that Frostwire/Limewire may not work. If that's the case, then download the IcedTea Java run time and use it instead of the standard 1.6.0.03 version.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Torrent clients:
Transmission: Amazingly simple, offers little customization, lacks support for DHT, but I still love it for it simplicity. Supports multiple downloads in one window.
Deluge: A bit bigger client, more customization, supports DHT. A bit unresponsive at times, I have had a few troubles with it in the past, so I do not use it anymore, but many people are pretty happy with. Supports multiple downloads in one Window.
Azeurus: Java based, meaning slow. I get the feeling you either hate or love Azeurus, I don't like it though.
rTorrent: Never used it, sorry..
KTorrent: KDE based, meaning allot of KDE libraries, but many use it anyways. I prefer a clean GNOME install though...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

You can use Shareaza with Mint if you install it using WINE but it behaves a bit erratically. It connects faster than usual but doesn't remember any settings changes you make once it's shutdown. Preview doesn't work and clicking on some library buttons will make it crash. Downloading is ok though.
AMule works perfectly but is a bit slow. Deluge and Ktorrent are fine. :)
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
fleamailman

Post by fleamailman »

thanks for these replies, I am really pleased with both mint and this forum

Return to “Beginner Questions”