SolusOS 2 Alpha5 Released (Gnome 3.4)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GeneC

SolusOS 2 Alpha5 Released (Gnome 3.4)

Post by GeneC »

Ikey just released a new version of SolusOS

EDIT:
Jun 27
SolusOS alpha5 released
The SolusOS team is pleased to announce the release of SolusOS 2 Alpha 5. This release utilises the Gnome Classic Desktop Environment 3.4 (not fallback), which is heavily tweaked to behave and look the same as Gnome 2. Please note that this is a development release and is not intended for use on production machines.
What’s new?
This time we’ve gone all out to give you the best looking Gnome desktop we can, and it’s increasingly difficult to tell the difference between our Gnome Classic and Gnome 2. We’ve gone to great lengths to improve the overall look and feel of the desktop whilst enhancing usability at the same time.
Included Software
LibreOffice 3.5.4-2
Linux 3.3.6-solusos (BFS/preempt)
Firefox & Thunderbird 13.0.1
Adobe Flash 11.2.202.235
VLC 2.0.1
gnome-panel 1:3.4.2.1-5solusos1
nautilus 1:3.4.2-1.2
solusdesktop 3.4.3.2.1
That’s just a brief overview, in no way can we cover everything included. However, please note that non-free codecs are used in SolusOS to provide an out-of-the-box multimedia experience. We’ve also included firmware for some common wlan chipsets.
====================================================================

Its SolusOS2 Aplha 5 (Gnome Classic Desktop Environment 3.4 (not fallback)) Something NEW! [yet unnamed] DE
Its an Alpha so expect some issues, but I am sure he would appreciate some testers.

(For Support)...Best to reply on the SolusOS forums.
General comments welcome on this thread . :D

http://forums.solusos.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1115

Downloads

http://solusos.com/download/

The SolusOS team is pleased to announce the release of SolusOS 2 Alpha 3. This release utilises the Gnome Classic Desktop Environment 3.4 (not fallback), which is heavily tweaked to behave and look the same as Gnome 2
Please note that this is a development release and is not intended for use on production machines.

What’s different about SolusOS’s GNOME?

In SolusOS 2 we will be using GNOME 3.4, which in its current state features a largely unusable fallback mode. We decided to patch various parts of GNOME to make our implementation look and act identically to our Gnome 2 setup seen in SolusOS 1. This has been done in a way that will ensure 100% upstream compatability
How is it different from other forks?
Our Gnome isn’t a fork. We patched certain things, like the session, the panel and the file manager to restore original interaction, such as being able to drag panels, right click to access the context menu, being able to create desktop shortcuts (launchers). Our GNOME uses around 140MB of RAM idle, doesn’t require hardware acceleration and is using nautilus, metacity and gnome-panel.

What is SolusOS 2 based on?

SolusOS is always based on Debian Stable. So in order to get ourselves ready for the next stable version, Wheezy, we’ve begun the public development process of SolusOS 2 now so that we can ensure the project will be as complete as possible

Is this replacing SolusOS Eveline(1.0/1.1)?

No! Eveline is still our stable branch and will remain so until Wheezy becomes stable in Debian. Eveline will still be supported until its base, Squeeze, is no longer supported (1.5 years after Wheezy becomes stable)

How can the community get involved?

We’re going to need a lot of new programs for our desktop, for example we’re missing a theme-chooser utility, but that will come later this week. We want anyone who can code to start porting Gnome 2 Applets to the new API, or even start writing new applets! Get involved, these are exciting times!
I thought Fallback Mode is getting dropped?
We’ve modified the “fallback” mode so much now it really is “Gnome Classic”. We will continue to maintain the session and components (i.e gnomepanel) even if usptream won’t. We have some really cool long-standing wishlist items coming into it very soon too (think: translucency)

Brief overview of software versions

Firefox 13.0
Thunderbird 13.0
LibreOffice 3.5.4
Linux Kernel 3.3.6(with BFS/preempt)
SolusOS Gnome Classic 3.3.4
Openshot 1.4.2
VLC 2.0.1
systemd over sysvinit

Many new applications are available in the software repository.
About this release
This a development release and isn’t meant for every-day use. We hope the community will step forward and
help us identify issues and improve the distribution

Known issues
compiz-gtk not installed (install from repository)
Installer due for rewrite
GTK theme faulty in places (e.g gedit)
Control Center Background black
Some missing applications (skype, etc) (we’re still packaging these)

Last but not least
Thank you to everyone involved in SolusOS. Without your help none of this would be possible. We
hope you enjoy this release as much as we have enjoyed creating it
Last edited by GeneC on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Re: SolusOS 2 Alpha3 Released (Gnome 3.4)

Post by Goz »

Looks good..But those never ending black Linux themes are a bit depressing.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Well, if you listen to their marketing department (? ) it's not a fork of Gnome3:
Our Gnome isn’t a fork. We patched certain things, like the session, the panel and the file manager to restore original interaction, such as being able to drag panels, right click to access the context menu, being able to create desktop shortcuts (launchers). Our GNOME uses around 140MB of RAM idle, doesn’t require hardware acceleration and is using nautilus, metacity and gnome-panel.
This has been done in a way that will ensure 100% upstream compatability
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

I have been playing with this for a couple hours... :)
Very interesting.. For such a small team working on it (It may just be Ikey alone?). Its come a long way.

Being an alpha lots missing that has to be added manually (understandable for a test version)
Had to apt-get to get synaptic. Gnome Tweak Tool helps a lot.
Most all the same panel applets as Gnome 2.3. Panel is as easily edited at with Gnome 2.3 (Right Click, add to panel), You can drag/drop to move things around (nice).
Its not a fork of Gnome 2.3 like MATE, but a modification of Gnome 3.4 fallback (I believe).
Shows lots of promise.

Also showing a very small footprint.

z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I'm running SolusOS 1 now and it is just a beautiful distro. I am seeing why so many choose debian over ubuntu based distros. I'm sure SolusOS 2 will be fantastic when released as well. Those guys do a nice job :wink:
Smiff2

Post by Smiff2 »

"In SolusOS 2 we will be using GNOME 3.4, which in its current state features a largely unusable fallback mode."

can someone please point me to some info about why the standard Gnome 3.4x fallback mode (i presume the same as what's included with both Mint13 main releases just configured differently) is "largely unusable".
serious question, because i was thinking of using the one in Mint13 :)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

It's usable but obviously doesn't receive tender loving care from Gnome as it is a soon deprecated fallback session for unsupported graphics cards. I feel SolusOS have taken a better approach patching the fallback than MATE porting Gnome 2, will be interesting to see how it develops.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

My current SolusOS2 desktop.
I have it set up just the way I had Gnome 2.3 setup. Same applets. For an "Alpha" its surprisingly bug free.
"Solus Desktop" (Solus Appearance) is a tweak of "Gnome Tweak Tool"...
Smiff2

Post by Smiff2 »

bimsebasse wrote:It's usable but obviously doesn't receive tender loving care from Gnome as it is a soon deprecated fallback session for unsupported graphics cards. I feel SolusOS have taken a better approach patching the fallback than MATE porting Gnome 2, will be interesting to see how it develops.
yes i agree it sounds better... problem is.. SolusOS not Mint or Ubuntu, and i'd not heard of it, and don't know what the support will be. in particular what issues will arise from not being based on Ubuntu (this is not a philosophical point, I just want an easy to manage system!).
Need an LTS release i can trust with forwards app compatibility. hmmm dilemmas.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Smiff2 wrote: i wanted an LTS release i can trust. hmmm dilemmas.
install mint maya 13 mate lts then :) and problem solved: it's mint, it's a lts and it's the old good gnome :D updated and renamed (MATE)
Smiff2

Post by Smiff2 »

yeah i edited my post to clarify - the concern with MATE is its GTK2 based and there may be problems with apps going forward. i had ruled MATE out. thought this would be a good time to update but turns out to be a mess (not blaming anyone, just how things are).. might wait and let things settle eh.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

problems in what way? sorry to ask. there was a period in gnome2.x (talking about lmde) where we had gtk3 apps in a gtk2 system and apart from a few theming issues (easily solved with a gtk2/gtk3 compatible theme) the apps behave normal.

now in maya for example (gtk3.4) you still have gtk2 apps and probably you will never know that (maybe some theming discrepancy might show it)
Smiff2

Post by Smiff2 »

sorry to be going OT.. you can run GTK2 apps in a GTK3 DE AND GT3 apps in a GTK2 DE, with no issues other than cosmetic ones?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

you might want to check this http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnom ... 00003.html (applies to debian but of course what matters to debian also matters to ubuntu and then to mint :wink: )
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

GeneC wrote:My current SolusOS2 desktop.
"Solus Desktop" (Solus Appearance) is a tweak of "Gnome Tweak Tool"...
A correction on that. Its the other way around....
Plus some other pertinent info... (Quoting Ikey)
Panel Patches:
An effort has been made by myself to contribute changes upstream
to Gnome for the panel. https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=674580#c5
The position for maintainer is available and I hope I will be able to fill it, if Vincent
is ok with that.

Cardapio:
I wrote the gnome 3 applet for Cardapio: http://github.com/SolusOS/cardapio-gnome3
I've been accepted on to the Cardapio development team.
Porting Cardapio to PyGI thread (still in progress but I submitted by gnome 3 applet
and dbus changes: https://bugs.launchpad.net/cardapio/+bug/1005259
Cardapio Team: https://launchpad.net/~cardapio-team

solusdesktop tool:
Originally mintdesktop, I wrote for Linux Mint long long ago, its the
tool that allows you to change window button layout, etc. I rewrote it for SolusOS and
customizing of Gnome 3: https://github.com/SolusOS/solusdesktop/tree/gnome3

gnome-tweak-tool came longer after mintdesktop and actually copies the style from it.
Unsure of who wrote it. Myself and Clem worked on mintdesktop there's no sole ownership.
solusdesktop is rewritten completely and uses PyGI and GSettings, etc. Any one is free
to use it. I need to push my latest commit that is already in SolusOS, that uses GSettings
for Metacity and not GConf. I've spoken on debian-gnome on OFTC, and with various
people from Ubuntu Gnome Packaging regarding this tool.

It is possible that Ubuntu will incorporate some of the patches to bring back a properly
usable Gnome Panel. Our panel has traditional interaction unlike any other Gnome
Fallback session and SolusOS strives to work with upstream to get changes made for
everyone, not just the project.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Smiff2 wrote:
bimsebasse wrote:It's usable but obviously doesn't receive tender loving care from Gnome as it is a soon deprecated fallback session for unsupported graphics cards. I feel SolusOS have taken a better approach patching the fallback than MATE porting Gnome 2, will be interesting to see how it develops.
yes i agree it sounds better... problem is.. SolusOS not Mint or Ubuntu, and i'd not heard of it, and don't know what the support will be. in particular what issues will arise from not being based on Ubuntu (this is not a philosophical point, I just want an easy to manage system!).
Need an LTS release i can trust with forwards app compatibility. hmmm dilemmas.

Huh? It is based on debian stable with up to date software and applications. It is blazing fast and the most stable distro I have ever run. Support? It will be maintained by the developer. It is not a fork...he is simply designing his own DE with gnome 3 technology. It is just as easy to customize as Gnome 2 was. SolusOS 2 will be a long term released based up wheezy as it will be stable. It reminds me of Mint 9 in stability, etc. Also, it is not based upon gnome fallback but gnome classic. Mate was buggy as everything for me which lead me to Solus and it has been absolutely rock solid so far. The future is very bright with this distro in my opinion especially for those that want a debian based distro :wink:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

It is not a fork...he is simply designing his own DE with gnome 3 technology
i would love to understand the difference.
it is not based upon gnome fallback but gnome classic
a different wording for the same "beast" afaik.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

zerozero wrote:
It is not a fork...he is simply designing his own DE with gnome 3 technology
i would love to understand the difference.
it is not based upon gnome fallback but gnome classic
a different wording for the same "beast" afaik.

Whatever zero, I am not a developer so I don't know the difference. All I know is this is what he posted on the release:

"This release utilises the Gnome Classic Desktop Environment 3.4 (not fallback), which is heavily tweaked to behave and look the same as Gnome 2."

All I know is I am extremely impressed so far :wink:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

z06gal wrote: Whatever zero, I am not a developer so I don't know the difference. [...]
:lol: right
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

zerozero wrote:
z06gal wrote: Whatever zero, I am not a developer so I don't know the difference. [...]
:lol: right

Let me add that I really don't care :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: As long as it keeps running like this, it doesn't matter to me if it is a fork of Mars :wink:

Return to “Chat about Linux”