Is their a i686 non-PAE kernel? (answered)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jjaythomas

Is their a i686 non-PAE kernel? (answered)

Post by jjaythomas »

My TC1100 (old I Know) pen tablet I believe run a 686 kernel BUT not any PAE enabled.
And
would their be a difference between the I486 and a I686 non-PAE.

P.S. using synaptic I find a I686-Image but says it only a dummy package! :(

Thank You
J.Jay
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Is their a i686 non-PAE kernel?

Post by zerozero »

nahh, debian dropped support for straight :lol: 32bit kernel http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=200&t=76911
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

jjaythomas wrote:My TC1100 (old I Know) pen tablet I believe run a 686 kernel BUT not any PAE enabled.
And
would their be a difference between the I486 and a I686 non-PAE.

P.S. using synaptic I find a I686-Image but says it only a dummy package! :(

Thank You
J.Jay
Not in Debian repos there isn't. You can try installing a liquorix kernel.

I know when pae hit sid I had to change kernels because this laptop is ancient.

$ uname -a
Linux debian 3.3.0-trunk-486 #1 Wed May 2 12:04:31 UTC 2012 i686 GNU/Linux
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Thank For Answer...
Didn't want to install something and bork install :o

Acutally hacking on and borking dailly latelly anyways :twisted:
Hence no working spell-check! :oops:

P.S. TC1100 one of the Pentium M class breed :lol:

J.Jay
jjaythomas

Re: Is their a i686 non-PAE kernel? (opened again)

Post by jjaythomas »

Resurrected this question.

I thought my TC1100 tablet couldn't run a pae because...
In Ubuntu and Crunchbang it states at boot 'this kernel pae enabled and this cpu doesn't support the pae instruction set' and also just doesn't run a couple other (I'm a distro hopper) distro that I thought must be I686 or pae ones! :oops:
But
I can run LMDE and install the 686(pae) kernel and runs fine. Can also run LMint 13 mate edition but not Cinnamon edition :roll:
So now
I believe it's the video card (both Ubuntu/Unity and LMint/cinnamon need 3D. Not sure why Crunchbang or the boot screen saying not pae equipped cpu? :roll: The TC1100 used the nvida 96 driver (usually jockey).

Long story short My question is...Is their a command or anyone know whats wrong/lacking?
I know the CPU is a Pentium M processor 1000Mhz and the video chip is a NV17 (GeForce 4 420 Go 32M0
**maybe the current NV driver just doesn't activate 3d?**

Thank You
J.jay

P.S. The actul message at boot is 'This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: pae unable to boot- please use a kernel appropriate to your CPU'
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Is their a i686 non-PAE kernel? (answered)

Post by nunol »

I have a Toshiba with a PIV, a GeForce 420 Go 16MB and 256MB of RAM an it didn't run Mint 12 Cinnamon either, it loaded, showed the menus but the menus didn't worked properly, 3D was working. With Lubuntu 12.04 I have some programs that use 3D and don't work properly or at all. I can run MATE and Unity 2D but are to slow, XFCE, LXDE, Openbox and Fluxbox work fine. Didn't try E17.

It's probably a driver problem, I use the open source drivers because there is a problem with the Nvidia drivers in Precise: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/948053
I tried the downgrade (comment #7 and #8) but it didn't work.

The first version of the Pentium M didn't support pae, the later ones did. Check if you have pae support with:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep pae
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Took me awhile (away from tablet :D )

Tried command but nothing. Have currently WattOS installed on tablet, also tried from 'LiveISO's of Peppermint2 Xubuntu ,SwiftOS and LMDE-XFCE.
Command in terminal gives no output.

But why some distros not boot with message saying no PAE hardware but can use/install I686 PAE kernel (checked in sys profiler & Info says using I686 kernel)? Or when instal I686 PAE kernel it checks before installing PAE Patches?

Thank You
J.Jay
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

jjaythomas wrote:Tried command but nothing. Have currently WattOS installed on tablet, also tried from 'LiveISO's of Peppermint2 Xubuntu ,SwiftOS and LMDE-XFCE.
Command in terminal gives no output.

That's because you don't have a CPU with pae support.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Thank You :D

That was by conclusion also. I think my 'conky' and 'system profilier and benchmark' give false readings (say running 686 kernel) :?:

a CLI 'command to give what the running kernel is? (inxi :?: )

still confused (thanks)
J.Jay

Nope everything says running 686-pae (even totally uninstalled the 486).RUNNING even thou shouldn,t be able to run!
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

inxi works in Mint, may not work in other OS's.

You can use "uname -a" to check the kernel in any *nix.

Ubuntu 12.04 has several 32bit kernel available, i686 and i686-pae. On a Transmeta CPU that it's not pae or even i686 I was able to boot a Ubuntu liveCD up to the desktop and only then it crashed.

Return to “LMDE Archive”