[Solved] Mint KDE 13 Release ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
digitalking

Re: Mint KDE 13 Release ?

Post by digitalking »

zerozero wrote:in the middle of that mild rant i believe there's a question :lol:
- yes, Mint13 will have a kde ed. http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2031#comment-65458
Thanks for pointing this out zerozero! You always find the gold in blog posts, comments, and forums (it's almost like as if you actually spend time reading things :lol: - I skim too often).

I was fairly sure that a KDE version was in the works, but I was under the impression that XFCE for the main editions was cancelled and would only be used in LMDE. I'm looking forward to the KDE version, but the person who introduced me to linux in the first place is a huge XFCE fan and will be glad to see that Maya will be getting it's own version of XFCE.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

digitalking wrote:[...](it's almost like as if you actually spend time reading things :lol: - I skim too often).

[...]
:lol: :lol: too much free time? :roll:
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

The KDE release of a new Mint always lags behind the main edition (mothership?) simply because clem has so much on his plate for every new release. I seem to remember it's about a month behind the main release but as always the release date is "When It's Ready." I really love that about Mint, they never push a release out because of an arbitrary date on a calendar, it's always "right" when it comes out. It's a shame the folks over at the Spaceship Distro haven't adopted this practice.
water spirit

Post by water spirit »

BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Yep, in about a month, which is the normal time frame. Hopefully Mint 13 KDE won't present ugly bugs like Mint 11 KDE did. That wasn't a fun wait and I'd hate to see the team go through that again for any Mint release.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

What a thrill !!!! I will be waiting those 2 editions with great deal of anxiety, especially the edition with KDE, hopefully in these editions to correct the serious error that I at least found in the main editions of Linux Mint 13 (on the Live DVD), the problem of Internet connection, and the failure of the command "sudo pppoeconf". Failures are too important for an LTS version. And hopefully also Linux Mint KDE 13 is more like to Kubuntu 12.04 and Linux Mint 12 which is too unstable and has several errors.-
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Jose Manuel wrote:[...] hopefully in these editions to correct the serious error that I at least found in the main editions of Linux Mint 13 (on the Live DVD), the problem of Internet connection, and the failure of the command "sudo pppoeconf". Failures are too important for an LTS version.
it's this you are referring to:
Local repository and GnomePPP

GnomePPP is not installed by default but it is present within the default installation of Linux Mint. Your Linux Mint system comes with a local repository which is disabled by default. You can enable it by removing the comment sign "#" in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/local-repository.list and refreshing your APT cache. This repository contains GnomePPP as well as a collection of drivers.
here
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Kubuntu 12.04 is very nice, polished, quick, lightweight. I'm running it on a netbook with 1 gig ram and 1.66 processor and with effects and animations turned off and you would think I was running xubuntu or something else lightweight. Mint KDE 13 should be impressive. I don't have room for Mint KDE 13 on my hard drive but I'll probably install it to a usb stick and keep it for a portable OS.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Dear Community: Thank you really estimated zerozero. This is the beauty that have the Linux World, testing and trying things you feel you have everything in his hands, and you learn (sometimes to shocks to solve problems). The problem that I got tired of reporting that there was no way I worked the Internet, and I found the solution (in the two versions: Mate Desktop and Cinnamon/Gnome 3 Desktop). And, really the solution is very simple, is solved by two clicks: :D :D :D :D I step to run:

When inserted the Live DVD on your computer, load the desktop, then when we already have the desktop up and running, the Network Manager says that we do not have Internet access, well, the solution is to do here (if you're using Mate "right click "if we are using Gnome 3/Cinnamon or common-click disabling an option that says "Enable Network", then in fact this open the Network Configuration Assistant Manager, then we make our Username and Password, close this window and finally we enable again the option to "Enable Network" and SURPRISE!!: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Now we have the Internet running smooth and preciously.

It was a little trick I tried and it served, so I am posting here on the forum for anybody to stumble upon the same stone, were that easy :D :D . Now wait to arrive Linux Mint 13 KDE, if it becomes like Kubuntu 12.04 version we will have an really spectacular. Thanks for everything Dear People!! Best Regards. José Manuel.-
Ken Lonewolf

Post by Ken Lonewolf »

I have used KDE and kind of fond of it, preferred it over Gnome2. I like all the features that the Plasma desktop has as well as being able to customize it any flavor you want. Have tried Mint 12 KDE with good results, only complaint is some GTK apps don't look good. Firefox and synaptic window borders have that Windows 95 look. What seems to be missing is that GTK-QT engine that Debian Squeeze used, really made GTK apps look native to KDE. Don't know why they dropped it since it worked well. Right now using Mint 13 Cinnamon which is very nice but lacks some of the desktop settings that KDE has. Want to give Mint 13 KDE a spin when it comes out since I prefer a long term support release, don't like updating every 6 months or so when a new release comes out. :D
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I know what you mean about GTK apps being ugly under KDE. I've got KDE 4.7.4 bolted on top of LMDE UP4 and I really miss the KDE-GTK configuration panel I had with UP3. I've been trying to find a way to build it myself but I'm having problems just finding source code for it.

While I am glad to be rid of the Ubuntu base of the regular Mint KDE until Clem decides to move KDE to a Debian base (they talked about it for Mint 11 KDE but changed his mind due to the work load it would mean) our KDE users deserve a new LTS edition. The good news is that it generally takes a month after the release of the flagship Mint release to see the KDE release. There is an easy mechanism for people to help test the incoming packages for LMDE but if folks go to the community site they can at least help test the ISO images once one is spun up. I'm not sure how to join the ISO testers but I'm sure the info is there if you want to hunt more than the few seconds I just took. Also if you're able to help code or package I'm sure Clem would love any assistance we can provide him with it.
matfx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by matfx »

I really hope the linux mint team will release the KDE for LTS version.
Linux Mint Ulyssa Cinnamon 20.1 64bit
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Thanks for the link Fan. I'm not surprised KDE is doing so well in user polls. We lost a lot of users when they made the switch in KDE 4 but as more people try it hey'll find it's actually a very nice DE, especially in terms of being able to customize it, something GNOME 2 didn't even do as well. True, KDE is a little hungrier in terms of resources but you can disable a lot of the "eye candy" and still end up with a damned fine UI.

I didn't check out Cinnamon when I got LMDE installed on my laptop and I didn't spend much time in MATE but that's because I had already found so much to love in KDE I wasn't interested in learning a GNOME-based interface all over again. Plus KDE is just so much easier to use out of the box between KIckoff and how much you can do with a simple right click on the desktop. You have to wonder why GNOME and MATE (and Cinnamon?) haven't added a simple Leave... entry on the desktop context menu. That's one of the things that bugged me during my time in MATE. I have to shut down my laptop at least a couple of times a day and the simple ability to shutdown with my mouse from the desktop in three clicks means I get to do a little more before I have to shut down. That may not seem like a lot but psychologically it's a win.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

KDE 4.8.3 is excellent. It is great in Kubuntu 12.04 and should be just as nice in Mint 13 KDE.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

I like Cinnamon very much, but I've been looking forward to trying the KDE 13 release. I just recently became interested in KDE using Netrunner and I really like it a lot. Upgrading to 4.8.2 KDE was easy. I'm so new at this I didn't know what would come of things, but it works great.
thunder422

Post by thunder422 »

For GTK theme configuration, I installed the gtk-chtheme package that allows you to change which GTK 2.0 theme to use, but this is something that can also be done from System Settings/Application Appearance/GTK+ Appearance. One nice thing about GTK 2.0 Change Theme is it shows you examples of what the different themes look like (check boxes, radio buttons, buttons, sliders, scroll bars, font, etc.), which GTK+ Appearance does not show you.

Out of the box, only two GTK themes are installed, Raleigh and another one I don't remember - both looked ugly to me. At some point I got additional themes installed (Clearlooks, Crux, Industrial, Mist, QtCurve, Redmond, Thinice and oxygen-gtk). I'm not exactly which packages got me these themes, but the different packages I have installed are gtk2-engines-qtcurve, gtk2-engines, libcanberra-gtk3-0, libcanberra-gtk3-module, gtk3-engines-oxygen, libcanberra-gtk0, and libcanberra-gtk-module. There was also libwxgtk2.8-0 that was needed for p7zip. The canberra packages were something that seamonkey (browser) needed to look right. (Note that I am running KDE 4.8.2 on Mint 12 KDE.)

I currently have my GTK theme set to QtCurve (though my main KDE theme is Plastique, something I grew fond of back with KDE 3). Unlike Plastique, QtCurve is very configurable (very, like insane - every aspect of the theme). QtCurve can probably be set up to look like Plastique but I haven't spent the time.

Anyway, I learned that when the GTK theme is set to QtCurve, it can be configured (fine tuned) using the Configure... button on System Settings/Application Appearance/Style when the Widget style is set to QtCurve. These changes then apply to the GTK QtCurve theme (though the GTK programs may have to be restarted to see the changes). But because of some kind of bug maybe, changes don't show up immediately unless I select another Widget style, click Apply, select QtCurve again, and finally click Apply again.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

FYI: The kde-gtk-config packages are back on the Netrunner site and can now be installed on 32- or -64-bit systems without building them from source.
multiplicis

Post by multiplicis »

XuJinNet wrote:Please release the KDE Version,we need it , we love it :wink:

We love Mint ! ! ! !
I agree with you, but you must remember that MintKDE 13 should be based on Kubuntu 12.04 LTS. Kubuntu 12.04 LTS (at this moment) has a lot of bugs, it is unstable (segfault errors in Plasma, KTorrent freezes, incomplete language support, and so on). Every release of Kubuntu always needs quite a lot of time to became stable and reliable. I think that Mint cannot do other than waiting...
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

multiplicis wrote:I agree with you, but you must remember that MintKDE 13 should be based on Kubuntu 12.04 LTS. Kubuntu 12.04 LTS (at this moment) has a lot of bugs, it is unstable (segfault errors in Plasma, KTorrent freezes, incomplete language support, and so on). Every release of Kubuntu always needs quite a lot of time to became stable and reliable. I think that Mint cannot do other than waiting...
This is a big reason why I run KDE on top of LMDE. It's not an official release (altho I really hope it will be sooner rather than several years down the pike) but I don't have to wait for clem and the Kubuntu folks to get the release fixed so we can get Mint KDE. I'm running a testing release I wouldn't even recommend to a lot of users (yes, things can and do break from time to time) but after running this combination for a while I wouldn't do Linux any other way, unless clem gives us an official LMDE KDE release.

I don't mean to gloat, because I really do hope Mint KDE users can get their release sooner rather than later. I was part of the community that waited FOREVER for what I believe was Mint 11 KDE and I don't think it ever came out, instead going right to Mint 12 KDE. It was no fun being part of that crowd, which is why when I got my laptop I just went to LMDE and bolted KDE on top of it. I'll never knowingly try to rush clem and the Mint dev team but sometimes waiting for it to be right so it can ship can be a royal PITA.
braingateway

Post by braingateway »

BostonPeng wrote:
multiplicis wrote:I agree with you, but you must remember that MintKDE 13 should be based on Kubuntu 12.04 LTS. Kubuntu 12.04 LTS (at this moment)
I don't mean to gloat, because I really do hope Mint KDE users can get their release sooner rather than later. I was part of the community that waited FOREVER for what I believe was Mint 11 KDE and I don't think it ever came out, instead going right to Mint 12 KDE. It was no fun being part of that crowd, which is why when I got my laptop I just went to LMDE and bolted KDE on top of it. I'll never knowingly try to rush clem and the Mint dev team but sometimes waiting for it to be right so it can ship can be a royal PITA.
It is kind of insane to update every 6 month. I think the current strategy is good for normal users. Mint 12 KDE is quite good. And I think nobody will rush toward LMDE or Kbuntu 12.04, before the Mint 12 KDE support ended. Most dev toolsets are still compatible with Mint 12 also. So the developer should take their time to test and fix rather than chasing the Ubuntu release.

Return to “Software & Applications”