Persistent USB install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pinghacker
Level 1
Level 1

Persistent USB install

Post by pinghacker »

I've been looking for a way to do a persistent USB drive install of mint with no luck. I found the following instruction for Ubuntu 7.10:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/28 ... n-install/

I assume that it should work for Mint, other than step 17 and 18 (see image).

Any help will be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Persistent USB install

Post by Husse »

That guide should work - but you obviously have to go through the guide and make appropriate changes in quite a few places, not just step 17 and 18
This howto is about the same and covers persistency if you read the whole topic. Some have not managed to get it while some have - I have no idea why - can't dive deep into everything
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... &sk=t&sd=a
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

I've looked at all the references to the various posts here and pendrivelinux etc...

There are obviously things that need to be changed between the ubuntu version on pdl for mint.

I am very interested in this and I have an 8GB stick ready and waiting to go for this. I even tried to just use Mint Install to try and install it on the USB stick, that failed big time with Mint Install just keeping going back to the partition choice window.

So if some of the experts can help I am willing to do the testing as I need to get this and another stick made.

Then we can post this to a site some place with exact instructions for every ones benefit.

Hopefully future versions of the LM KDE with have a USB install option.

So I am in for testing and anything else I can do, but I can not sort out the differences needed for the PDL intructions either.

And I am specifically after the Linux Mint KDE CE version.

Thanks.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'm sorry I can't be of much assistance (yet anyway) as I only have a 1 GB stick and that's not enough to install on, not to talk of lack of time to try it out. However I think I've read reports of success in the forum
Husse

Post by Husse »

We have to expect a delay for Elyssa of some three weeks, maybe a bit more as also Elyssa is to be a LTS

Return to “Installation & Boot”