LXDE- no Administration or System options in main menu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheBigH
Level 1
Level 1

LXDE- no Administration or System options in main menu

Post by TheBigH »

Hi everyone,
I just installed the LXDE version of Mint to try to revive an old computer, and I am currently trying to get the printer to work. After installing the relevant drivers I tried to print a test page and it failed saying I need to "Publish shared printers connected to this system' in the server settings and that I can do that by going through System->Administration->Printing via the main menu.

The trouble is, I don't have those options in the main menu. This is a recurring problem for me, being told I need to select things that simply don't exist. How can I add System->Administration to the main menu?

Preferences->Printing exists but doesn't have the server option I need.

Cheers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: LXDE- no Administration or System options in main menu

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

I am not well versed with LXDE, but did you install LXDE-core or used no-recommends

I had some settings missing when I installed LXDE. SO either you will have to install them manually (if you know the name), or I installed Lubuntu-desktop and everything was there :)
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

System->Administration->Printing
I don't think LXDE ever offers an Administration category. Printing is in Preferences: http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#18. An after market install of LXDE is usually easier to accomplish if you start from lxde-core. See Sections 20-22 in http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/lubuntu.html.
antikythera

Post by antikythera »

Options are there. Click Menu>Preferences>Printing. Then click Server followed by Settings and you will get the options shown in the attached picture.

Return to “Software & Applications”