GIMP 2.8

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gychang

Re: GIMP 2.8

Post by gychang »

need help on my latest maya install, I am having difficulty.

How can I correct this?

gychang

---

apa@nakedpc ~ $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/add-apt-repository", line 65, in <module>
if not sp.add_source_from_line(line):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 630, in add_source_from_line
(deb_line, file) = expand_ppa_line(line.strip(), self.distro.codename)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py", line 47, in expand_ppa_line
sourceslistd = apt_pkg.Config.find_dir("Dir::Etc::sourceparts")
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'Config'

---
lotharjade
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lotharjade »

How safe is this repository? Who is putting it out exactly?
Have you tried turning it off and on again, then hitting it repeatedly? :/
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

I installed Gimp 2.8 on Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon (64-bit) and there is no icon od program in menu bar, why and can it be fixed (I found it in usr/bin folder but there isn't gimp in menu)??
Help!!!!
caibbor

Post by caibbor »

It'd be neat if the maintainers of Mint could just, ya know, put Gimp 2.8 in there and call it good. Just sayin.
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

I agree with that! :/
lotharjade
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lotharjade »

I am surprised that Gimp 2.8 didn't make the repositories this time as well. I wonder how long till they show up? Would they seriously wait till the next release in 6 months?
Have you tried turning it off and on again, then hitting it repeatedly? :/
poldie

Post by poldie »

I just tried those instructions on Linut Mint 12 LXDE and they don't work.

I got:

a@p ~ $ sudo apt-get install gimp
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
gimp : Depends: libgimp2.0 (>= 2.8.0-1ubuntu0ppa4~oneiric) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgimp2.0 (<= 2.8.0-z) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.24.10) but 2.24.6-0ubuntu5linuxmint1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

It does seem a litle odd that 2.8 doesn't work. I don't know enough about Linux to know how to fix it. It seems not everyone gets the same error message, although perhaps it's the same problem.
liquidstupid

Post by liquidstupid »

This runs beautifully on Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 32bit. I consider it a must-have and look forward to the day it becomes part of the main repositories. I recently was able to migrate my Mom from Photoshop to GIMP thanks to the single window mode alone. There are still interface incongruities, but the sooner it's the main repos, the better.

Just remember t spell "gulasch" correctly, or else... >.<
teemac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by teemac »

Re: Gimp 2.8 stable in Mint13 x64 Cinnamon - Works perfect
(Thanks to otitkothabole)

To install - type the following lines one at a time in terminal then press enter:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gimp

"Although the single-window mode is a long-awaited landmark feature, the designers chose not to make it the default mode. The first time that you run the GIMP, it will start with the traditional floating window layout. The single-window mode can be enabled with an option in the application’s “Windows” menu. The setting can be toggled to switch between the floating and single-window layouts. The user’s preference will be remembered between uses."

Select Windows - Single windows mode
Then maximize window and resize to what you want.
Next time you open GIMP it will be like this.

"It has a number of limitations, however, that might prove troubling to intensive users. For example, there doesn’t appear to be a way to snap content tabs out of the main window or split the content area, which means that users won’t be able to view multiple images at the same time."
Multiple images will appear as tabs across the top of window.
"The application’s “Save” feature can now only save images in the GIMP’s native XCF format. Generating output in any other format is now an “export” operation. The change is sensible because the XCF format is obviously the only one that will actually preserve all of the document state characteristics that users require for works-in-progress."
i7 7700K Asus Maximus IX Hero - 16gb ram - Water Cooled - 2xEVO970 M2, 2x4tb HDD - nVidia gtx1050ti - Mint17 & 19.1 x64 Cinnamon
i7 920 Gigabyte EX58-UD3R - 6gb ram - Air - 6x2tb,2x3tb HDD - nVidia GTX750ti - Mint17 & 19.1 x64 Cinnamon
gychang

Post by gychang »

I am getting this afte first line and it keeps installing 2.6.

---
apa@nakedpc ~ $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/add-apt-repository", line 65, in <module>
if not sp.add_source_from_line(line):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 630, in add_source_from_line
(deb_line, file) = expand_ppa_line(line.strip(), self.distro.codename)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py", line 47, in expand_ppa_line
sourceslistd = apt_pkg.Config.find_dir("Dir::Etc::sourceparts")
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'Config'
---

how do I fix this?

gychang

teemac wrote:Re: Gimp 2.8 stable in Mint13 x64 Cinnamon - Works perfect

To install - type the following lines one at a time in terminal then press enter:

sudo apt-get update

"Although the single-window mode is a long-awaited landmark feature, the designers chose not to make it the default mode. The first time that you run the GIMP, it will start with the traditional floating window layout. The single-window mode can be enabled with an option in the application’s “Windows” menu. The setting can be toggled to switch between the floating and single-window layouts. The user’s preference will be remembered between uses."

Select Windows - Single windows mode
Then maximize window and resize to what you want.
Next time you open GIMP it will be like this.

"It has a number of limitations, however, that might prove troubling to intensive users. For example, there doesn’t appear to be a way to snap content tabs out of the main window or split the content area, which means that users won’t be able to view multiple images at the same time."
Multiple images will appear as tabs across the top of window.
"The application’s “Save” feature can now only save images in the GIMP’s native XCF format. Generating output in any other format is now an “export” operation. The change is sensible because the XCF format is obviously the only one that will actually preserve all of the document state characteristics that users require for works-in-progress."
liquidstupid

Post by liquidstupid »

What distro are you running?
O|||||||O

Post by O|||||||O »

sudo apt-get update
Just did this (Mint 13 x64 Cinnamon) and it worked perfectly!

It even preserved all of my custom keyboard shortcuts and ICC profile. I didn't have to redo anything.
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

Can anybody help with installing this on LMDE?
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Inoki wrote:Can anybody help with installing this on LMDE?
Someone already did
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 35&start=0
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

O|||||||O wrote:

sudo apt-get update
Just did this (Mint 13 x64 Cinnamon) and it worked perfectly!

It even preserved all of my custom keyboard shortcuts and ICC profile. I didn't have to redo anything.
I can confirm these instructions work on the 32bit Mint13/Cinnamon. Thank you!
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
liquidstupid

Post by liquidstupid »

So as a side-note, Gimp 2.8 was included in the Mint repos and installs default with all dists of Mint 14.

Works great.

Thanks guys.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

liquidstupid wrote:So as a side-note, Gimp 2.8 was included in the Mint repos and installs default with all dists of Mint 14.

Works great.

Thanks guys.
Sorry, but Mint 13 is an "LTS" meaning "Long Term Support" iteration and users who have it installed need to twist themselves into pretzels to get very ordinary updates to commonly used software. They don't want to install a new OS and spend a couple of days configuring it just to get the current release of software.

That is why when XP is terminated next year, nice as it looks and works, Mint will not replace it. Anybody who has responsibly run hated Microsoft hated XP since 2002, over a decade, without reinstalling or doing anything at all, has a completely up to date operating system and has no problem finding and installing the very latest versions of any third party software. What's the problem with "LTS"? Slow learners? Historical prejudice requiring affirmative action? Just grow up and when you release Long Term Support just support it, like you said you would. Or else call it 9 month support like Ubuntu is.

By the way, if you want GIMP 2.8 on Mint 13, repeat Mint 13 LTS Long Term Support, without any help from Mint, here's how:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=132097
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I2k4 wrote:
liquidstupid wrote:So as a side-note, Gimp 2.8 was included in the Mint repos and installs default with all dists of Mint 14.

Works great.

Thanks guys.
Sorry, but Mint 13 is an "LTS" meaning "Long Term Support" iteration and users who have it installed need to twist themselves into pretzels to get very ordinary updates to commonly used software. They don't want to install a new OS and spend a couple of days configuring it just to get the current release of software.

That is why when XP is terminated next year, nice as it looks and works, Mint will not replace it. Anybody who has responsibly run hated Microsoft hated XP since 2002, over a decade, without reinstalling or doing anything at all, has a completely up to date operating system and has no problem finding and installing the very latest versions of any third party software. What's the problem with "LTS"? Slow learners? Historical prejudice requiring affirmative action? Just grow up and when you release Long Term Support just support it, like you said you would. Or else call it 9 month support like Ubuntu is.

By the way, if you want GIMP 2.8 on Mint 13, repeat Mint 13 LTS Long Term Support, without any help from Mint, here's how:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=132097
Or just follow the simple instructions here to add the PPA.
http://www.noobslab.com/2012/10/install ... buntu.html
Pretzel shapes indeed. :roll:
If you are happy running a 13 year old, out of date, insecure OS like XP...well...good luck to you but you don't make much of a case for yourself when you cannot spend 5 minutes Googling the simple solution to a Mint problem.
I scrapped XP off my shoes a year and a half ago and Mint/Cinnamon is better in every regard.
Also, you claim to have been running XP for ten years without a reinstall? I simply do not believe that. That is an incredible claim.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

If you installed Mint Cinnamon a year ago your repositories are out of date and you're bottom feeding for fancy terminal commands to do what Long Term Support, LTS not El BS, ought to supply. XP is a 13 year old OS, but every uipdate and third party application is right there - can't say the same for your already obsolete Cinnamon 1.4 (I suppose you've googled to learn you can "backport" to get 800 fixes in Cinnamon 1.6.

BTW my URL for PPA updates to photography software is simpler than terminal monkey madness and includes more apps than GIMP 2.8.

Mint is going to have to pull its socks up, blow its nose, and earn the right to wear long pants, if it wants to offer a replacement for XP.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
RC Da Kookee

Post by RC Da Kookee »

You do realize that Cinnamon 1.4 is just a version of DE and not one complete OS, right?

Return to “Software & Applications”