how to clear recent opened files?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
elrengo

how to clear recent opened files?

Post by elrengo »

Hi! I dow not found any directory or file to clean the history from MoviePlayer and VLC. How I can clean the history?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Re: how to clear recent opened files?

Post by Garvan »

In Mint 13 there is a Privacy application under 'Administration" that you might try. It offers options for deleting recent history.

For older versions or if 'Privacy' does not work, try deleting the file where the information is stored. Type this in a terminal.

Code: Select all

cat /dev/null > .local/share/recently-used.xbel 
It may also be worth installing BleachBit, which has options for deleting document lists, and looks to be simpler than using a terminal.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
elrengo

Post by elrengo »

Thanks! I do not have problem using the terminal. :) I think that reply works fine. I am using LMDE 2012
vincezd

Post by vincezd »

Hi,
You may want to blacklist some files with this script :

http://gnomefiles.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=150686

"
A compact, lightweight little Python script which uses GtkRecentManager to watch for updates to all globally-available Recently Used lists (the ones that appear in Open dialogs and the like) and then filters out anything in the folders you blacklist.

Blacklist entries are hashed to make reading the blacklist not worth the effort.
"
TomOfHelatrobus

Post by TomOfHelatrobus »

It was a lot easier than this in Lisa with kde. You just go to recent history (maya mate does not have a recent history) and then you would right click and select clear recent documents. I'm glad bleachbit exist, but it is a bit complicated.
headphones54321

Post by headphones54321 »

The other option is to add the "Menu Bar" to one of your panels and, just like gnome2, the Places menu has the Recent Documents list at the end and you can clear them from there.

Edit: The final option is to r-click on the Mint Menu, go to prefs -> Options tab, and check the "Show recent documents plugin". This adds a pane to the Mint Menu that has a clear button on the bottom.
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

In Cinnamon (Maybe in MATE too, but I don't know), if you have enabled Recent Files (right-click on the Menu, select Menu settings, and then check "Show recent files"), the "Clear list" option is at the bottom of the list of recent files. :)
lespinoy

Post by lespinoy »

Thx kwatson512 !!
Just what i was looking for...you rock!!
I can confirm that it works for mate (mint 15) too..
The panel added to the menu is rather big but it does the trick :-)

Return to “LMDE Archive”