re-installing and keeping mozilla email/browser settings

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Verlager
Level 2
Level 2

re-installing and keeping mozilla email/browser settings

Post by Verlager »

I have to reinstall Linux Mint 5.0 while retaining as many of my browser and email settings as possible. The swiftweasel bookmarks are easy, because, in my case, the .mozilla/swiftweasel/xxxx.default/bookmarks.html is simply a link to a genuine bookmarks.html file on a server, which means my other comps always have current bookmarks.

I want to keep the ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/xxxxx.default/Mail/* settings and inbox/outbox settings. I can't just re-install and quietly put the files back into the new directory, -that never works.

I also want to keep my address book, and browser cookies. Where are these things located? I'd like to get up to speed in saving this valuable information.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: re-installing and keeping mozilla email/browser settings

Post by Husse »

You can copy/move the mail to a new location and probably the other settings too.
There is a good description in the Mozilla faq - google "move profiles firefox" and you get it in the top hits. I've used it several times
Address book and cookies are in the profiles as far as I know, but to move them is described too if my memory serves me right

Return to “Beginner Questions”