[CLOSED] Audio issue (pulseaudio?)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fyrentennimmar

[CLOSED] Audio issue (pulseaudio?)

Post by Fyrentennimmar »

Hi everybody.

So I installed LMDE (the latest ISO x64) on my grandfather laptop and everything is fine but I've a weird audio problem: there is no volume control showing, the multimedia keys dont work and there is nothing showing under the "Sound" menu.

But audio works in the browser (like Youtube), mp3 work fine under Banshee and VLC didn't work by default but changing the output to ALSA and HDA NVidia ALC662 rev1 Analog Front speakers made it to work.

So I assume it's a Pulseaudio issue because the process is not showing under "System monitor" and if I try to start it manually I get:

E: [pulseaudio] module-dbus-protocol.c: dbus_server_listen() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.BadAddress: In D-Bus address, percent character was followed by characters other than hex digits
E: [pulseaudio] module-dbus-protocol.c: Starting the local D-Bus server failed.
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-dbus-protocol" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Module load failed.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Échec lors de l'initialisation du démon

Also there were none of these issues while running the live ISO, it showed after installation.

Do you guys have any idea what the problem is?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bonsaii

Re: Audio issue (pulseaudio?)

Post by Bonsaii »

Have you tried to re-install pulse audio?

Do you have pavucontrol installed?

What do you have under menu > preferences > sound ?

You can install various volume/sound control programs
and pick them to be shown in the panel.
Fyrentennimmar

Re: Audio issue (pulseaudio?)

Post by Fyrentennimmar »

Yes I already tried re-installation and it didn't do anything.

I'll check for pavucontrol (I don't have access to the computer now).

And under menu > preferences > sound, the "hardware" tab, there is nothing showing in the box labeled "Choose a device to configure: ", same for "input" and "output" tabs (again everything is fine with the live ISO, all those tabs are showing the devices).

Also I'm aware there are several volume control softs but I don't think it will be of any use since pulseaudio is simply not starting for whatever reason but I'll give it a try anyway.

EDIT: Well, I checked and pavucontrol wasn't there so I installed it and here is what shows when I lauch it:

Menu>Preferences>Sound gives me this:
Image Image

I also tried gnome-alsamixer and the output is:

So the problem really seems to be that pulseaudio simply won't start for whatever reason and that's what is screwing things. I guess I could try to get rid of it and work with ALSA (which seems to be fine) or figure why that bloody thing is failing to start. It's not a huge deal since sound is actually working but still I'd like to know what's going on with pulse.

Anyway thanks Bonsaii for trying to help, any other thought would be appreciated :)

EDIT2: Well I ended up insatllaing Mint 13 and everything is working fine so I'll stick to it for the time being (hope the Debian version continues to improve).
iaselle

Re: [CLOSED] Audio issue (pulseaudio?)

Post by iaselle »

I have had the same issue with Mint 17.

After having installed PulseAudio Equalizer, upon next system startup, no more sound device was shown in the Sound configuration panel.

I commented the last four lines of the file ~/.config/pulse/default.pa (add a # sign in front each line after ### BEGIN : Equalizes audio configuration)

Code: Select all

### BEGIN: Equalized audio configuration
### Generated from: pulseaudio-equalizer
#load-module module-ladspa-sink sink_name=ladspa_output.mbeq_1197.mbeq master= plugin=mbeq_1197 label=mbeq control=-5.3,-4.0,-3.3,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,2.0,2.6,2.6
#set-default-sink ladspa_output.mbeq_1197.mbeq
# "set-sink-volume  65536
#set-sink-mute  0
### END: Equalized audio configuration
After next reboot, everything was fine again, but when restarting the PulseAudio Equalizer (I need it for listening to music streaming websites such as Deezer or Grooveshark), bang : same issue after next reboot.

I ended up adding a script that patches the PulseAudio configuration file on system startup.
1) Save the commented version of default.pa into another file (e.g. "defaultSansEQ.pa")
2) in a terminal, sudo gedit /etc/init.d/patchPulse.sh and paste the following lines

#!/bin/sh
rm -f /home/arno/.config/pulse/default.pa
cp -p /home/arno/.config/pulse/defaultSansEQ.pa /home/arno/.config/pulse/default.pa
Save the file, then run :

sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/patchPulse.sh
sudo update-rc.d patchPulse.sh defaults 80
Source of this information :
http://askubuntu.com/questions/325262/w ... sink-error

Return to “LMDE Archive”