Cannot find "giver" in package manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
punch_t

Cannot find "giver" in package manager

Post by punch_t »

I have just installed Linux mint 64 bit cinnamon maya. I observed from the installation presentaion that giver was available. However it cannot be found by synaptic.

Is it at available elswhere? :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cannot find "giver" in package manager

Post by altair4 »

Giver is no longer maintained and I think it had problems starting in Ubuntu 11.04 so Ubuntu just removed it from the repository.

You could as a substitute try Transfer-On-Lan: http://code.google.com/p/transfer-on-lan/downloads/list

Download and extract it to a separate directory in your home folder and then just double click the "TransferOnLAN.sh" file and select "Run".

It has the advantage in that since it's running a java jar file it's truly cross platform and will run on Windows, Linux, and OSX.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
punch_t

Re: Cannot find "giver" in package manager[SOLVED]

Post by punch_t »

altair4 wrote:Giver is no longer maintained and I think it had problems starting in Ubuntu 11.04 so Ubuntu just removed it from the repository.

You could as a substitute try Transfer-On-Lan: http://code.google.com/p/transfer-on-lan/downloads/list

Download and extract it to a separate directory in your home folder and then just double click the "TransferOnLAN.sh" file and select "Run".

It has the advantage in that since it's running a java jar file it's truly cross platform and will run on Windows, Linux, and OSX.
AbeFreeman

Post by AbeFreeman »

Seriously!!??? Is there nothing to take giver's place in the repositories? This is a sad day indeed. I had the same problem -- put mint 13 (Mate) on a new machine and thought I could use giver to transfer files from my mint 10 machine. I previously had nothing but headaches trying to set up NFS, etc. to get my machines to be able to smoothly transfer files, even though all my machines were running the same mint version. Then I discovered Giver, and no more headaches. And FAST transfers. Hopefully someone else will feel the lack and resurrect Giver, or something just as good. Meanwhile, thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.
AbeFreeman

Post by AbeFreeman »

Well, TransferOnLAN is definitely slower than giver, but it doesn't get stuck with huge file transfers either (giver didn't like folders with hundreds of files). And anything's better than file sharing through nautilus (worked fine yesterday, but today is "Unable to Mount Location"). So, until something better comes along ... Thanks, Altair, for the recommendation.

Return to “Software & Applications”