computer freezes/hangs when I plug in external monitor

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

computer freezes/hangs when I plug in external monitor

Post by pepperminty »

When I plug in the external LCD monitor to my laptop's VGA port, the computer freezes after getting past the login screen.
Before or while in the login screen, there is no freeze. (We can therefore rule out any problems with hardware, with either the laptop and its VGA port or the monitor.)

When I login without any monitor attached and then later plug in the monitor, the computer freezes. My desktop background of the mountains looks like it is chopped into four squares.

Please help. :( :( :( Using Mint 13 MATE.

UPDATE: I've filed a bug report on https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1012164. If have the same problem, please go to the bug report to add your details and file a "Me too".
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: computer freezes/hangs when I plug in external monitor

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

Possibly this is graphics card related. Please run the following command from a terminal and share its output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -SGxc 0
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

While powered off, I unplugged that external monitor (a Viewsonic). I then plugged in another monitor (Acer). When I boot up into Mint 13, I go to "Monitors" (monitor preferences) and see that that the monitor are mirror images. When I turn off "mirroring" and adjust the monitors to have a setup similar to the attached screenshot, the computer again hangs. Note how my laptop monitor and the external monitor are not on the same "floor". Could this be what's causing problems?
Last edited by pepperminty on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

xenopeek wrote: Possibly this is graphics card related. Please run the following command from a terminal and share its output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -SGxc 0
Hi, xenopeek.

Here's the output:
~ $ inxi -SGxc 0
System: Host: toshiba Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Graphics: Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: vesa,fbdev) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hmm... What is your laptop model?
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

Hi, xenopeek.

The laptop model is Toshiba Satellite C655-S5193
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I haven't found anything specific about this card or laptop, with external monitor issues. I see you have also posted a bug on this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1012164

What happens when you don't make the monitor a mirror image? It may be caused by difference in resolution (taking a wild guess).

And if the problem still happens, can you switch to the virtual console with Ctrl+Alt+F1? That should show you a black screen with white text, where it asks you to log in. If this looks normal, perhaps it can be analyzed further from there.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

xenopeek wrote:I haven't found anything specific about this card or laptop, with external monitor issues. I see you have also posted a bug on this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1012164

What happens when you don't make the monitor a mirror image? It may be caused by difference in resolution (taking a wild guess).

And if the problem still happens, can you switch to the virtual console with Ctrl+Alt+F1? That should show you a black screen with white text, where it asks you to log in. If this looks normal, perhaps it can be analyzed further from there.
Yes, I filed a bug report a few hours in my desperation to get this problem (and other bugs I've filed) fixed.
How do I make the external monitor a mirror image if the computer hangs once I plug in the external monitor?
How do I switch to the virtual console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) if the computer hangs?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

pepperminty wrote:How do I make the external monitor a mirror image if the computer hangs once I plug in the external monitor?
As I understand it, you were able to use an Acer external monitor and only have this issue with the Viewsonic. Not having a dual-monitor setup, I'm not sure if preferences like "mirror" stick between using different monitors.
pepperminty wrote:How do I switch to the virtual console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) if the computer hangs?
The "computer hangs" doesn't actually tell me the symptoms, just your conclusion. So, does the computer respond to nothing anymore then? Numlock / Capslock key doesn't toggle the indicator light? Mouse cursor doesn't move anymore? Just offering a suggestion as something you can try.

This seems to be awfully hardware specific, as it is only a problem with the one monitor. I'm not sure what else you could try :(
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

Vincent,
it happens with the two monitors (viewsonic and acer) that I have tried. It happens when i turn off mirroring and and set the monitor layout as what is seen in my attached drawing file.

I'll try to do the other tests later.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

Vincent,
I'll be able to connect an external monitor next week. I plan on posting a comment next week.
Vir

Re:computer hangs when I plug in ext mon-Possible WorkAround

Post by Vir »

Vincent,

I might have a workaround for you. I have a Fujitsu T 5010 table laptop plugged into a docking station and I connect an external monitor to it through a DVI port. When I tried to use a second monitor, It would lock up immediately. It happened if I booted with the laptop closed and then opening it, or if I booted the laptop up first, and then physically connected the external monitor.

I found a post somewhere (I wish I could remember where so I could give them credit) that suggested going into the Cinnamon Settings - Desktop, and then unchecking the "Have file manager handle the desktop" checkbox. I should also mention that on my system, I have all of the Desktop options unchecked.

Long story short, I can boot up, login and both monitors work fine. I think this might help you as well. Oh, by the way, my system was running well, but would sometimes slow down and it seemed to just momentarily loose it's mind, and this seems to have significantly helped my system stability as well. FYI.

My Laptop Specs:
Mint 13 with Cinnamon 1.4 (64-bit)
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz × 2
Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset
3.7 Gb Ram

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Vir
freibadschwimmer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by freibadschwimmer »

I have a similar problem, with my laptop being in a docking station and having an additional monitor plugged in.

Both monitors work fine as long as they are mirrored, but the moment I change this setting, the computer slows down extremely and the grahpics are disturbed. Usually it is just a matter of time until the computer freezes totally, but anyway, from the moment I uncheck the mirroring, it's hardly possible to work with the computer anylonger. Nevertheless, it is possible to check the mirroring again (with some patience) and then the computer works fine again. So somehow it seems, just the unchecking of the mirroring causes the problem.

I tried to uncheck everything in the "Desktop" settings, but no good; still the same problem.

running Mint 13 Cinnamon 32bit
m525

Post by m525 »

Hi,

I have the same issue with Linux Mint 12 (Lisa) installed on my system. The system hangs whenever I connect the display to the running system. If I connect the display first and then power up the system, it works very fine. It hangs only when I connect the display to a running system, then I need to restart the system in order to get the desktop. I can use keyboard and mouse and also open terminal window while the system hangs but i can't see the desktop icons and front screen of the system. I have been searching for a solution. Please advice,

Also, the system hangs sometimes (not always) when I switch the user in the login screen.

Please advice,
Thank you very much in advance,

-m25

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”