What the fsck just happened?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Foomandoonian

What the fsck just happened?

Post by Foomandoonian »

I'm into my second day using and exploring Mint, with every intention of making it my primary OS. Confidence was building: I just installed my first non-repository app and have been (very slowly) getting used to the idea of having to use the command line. I like the look and feel of things, and all the functionality I wanted seems to be here...

I had just dealt with an external HD that wouldn't mount. When trying to play some mp3s on it, just to check it was working, I launched Amarok. Amarok threw up some errors I didn't understand and everything locked up on me. Restarting I get the message that '/dev/sdb1 contains a file system with errors', blah blah blah, 'RUN fsck MANUALLY' blah blah, error error...

Eh?

A quick trip into Windows and Google gives me the help I need, but I'm still a bit dazed. What happened? What did I actually do to fix it? Could this happen again?

(Incidentally, sdb1 is not the external HD I was having problems with before)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What the fsck just happened?

Post by Fornhamfred »

Have had a look at the Ubuntu website and seen the explanations and also that the bug was first reported in 2006, It is a pity that this has not been resolved yet. As a Linux user of several years I have not come across this problem but have only been running Mint Daryna seriously for the last 4 months. As was mentioned it is OK for advanced users to be dumped to a shell, but for windows converts it is the last thing you want - probably just send them back to windows. My other main distro is PcLinux 2007 and perhaps their philosophy of only putting into the repros fully tested progs is a sound idea and a safer route for windows converts. Hopefully Mint can resolve this type of problem as I think it is a vast improvement on Ubuntu and the distro to watch.
Foomandoonian

Post by Foomandoonian »

I couldn't agree more. In addition to the article I linked above, I found many, many more threads complaining about this and variations on this 'bug'. I haven't run back to Windows, but the truth is that I have encountered several other minor failures and I feel pretty helpless when I can't resolve theme. And like with the fsck problem, even after I've fixed the issue, I'm left wondering what happened!

Despite the negativity, Mint has been a much better experience than Ubuntu 6.06.
Foomandoonian

Post by Foomandoonian »

Twice now, while booting up Mint, I have had a message to the effect of: "sdb1 not checked the last 20 times. Check forced." ...and then I sit through a fsck check. I don't mind the wait or anything, but I'm wondering if this is normal or if it might be symptomatic of a problem.?

The HD I installed Mint on is an old one and I wouldn't be surprised if it was on the way out. Is this likely to be the story? Any clues? :)
pete284

Post by pete284 »

I get this every 22 times for my HD and apparently this is quite normal. It checks the hard-disk for errors.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Fornhamfred wrote: As a Linux user of several years I have not come across this problem but have only been running Mint Daryna seriously for the last 4 months. As was mentioned it is OK for advanced users to be dumped to a shell, but for windows converts it is the last thing you want - probably just send them back to windows.
It is hard to stop this from happening. Fail safe X has made this situation better, but still, linux handles things different from Windows, shell is one of those things. This gives you the opportunity to fix a serious error with your system, Windows does not offer this. If you do not have the patience to experiment a bit with the OS, changing OS could be hard for you. Until we have OEM's delivering a wide variety of computers pre installed with linux, people will be afraid of using it...
Fornhamfred wrote:My other main distro is PcLinux 2007 and perhaps their philosophy of only putting into the repros fully tested progs is a sound idea and a safer route for windows converts.
Ubuntu has the same philosophy, the regular repos are thoroughly tested and safe to use, but the wide variety of hardware and software combinations it is hard to foresee every issue that can arise, PCLOS have the same. Most repos are safe to use, but you should use with caution anyway...
As for the issue at hand, keep a copy of GParted liveCD, you can check and fix any partition with GUI (right click the partition).
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”