Where is LXDE 64bit?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Where is LXDE 64bit?

Post by SiKing »

I think I found my answer: http://peppermintos.com/ comes in a 64b version! :D
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

You can install up from Peppermint2 distro (64bit available but still based on 11.4 as of May, a new spin was said to be coming out thou. :?:

It has most of the Mint repos and use the Mint software-manager. (and other installable with LMint repos :D )
Its not a full LXDE implementation (but most)
Its gear for a netbook/cloud based user, so it needs work to get a normal type 'Desktop' functionality.

J.Jay
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

jjaythomas wrote:You can install up from Peppermint2 distro (64bit available but still based on 11.4 as of May, a new spin was said to be coming out thou. :?:

It has most of the Mint repos and use the Mint software-manager. (and other installable with LMint repos :D )
Its not a full LXDE implementation (but most)
Its gear for a netbook/cloud based user, so it needs work to get a normal type 'Desktop' functionality.

J.Jay
I feel more comfortable post-installing additional software, than I do post-configuring a DE.
Lots of the software that I run does not come from the standard repos anyway - latest VirtualBox, latest Eclipse + bunch of plugins, some proprietary software that only comes as a tarball.

Still weird: unless I am mistaken, Kendall is the lead for both Peppermint and Linux Mint LXDE. So back to: why not a LM-LXDE64b edition? But at this point I think I have beaten that mass of meat enough. :roll:
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

LXDE over Mint LMDE 64-bit working great - see Section 21 inhttp://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/lubuntu.html. See the main Guide for putting Wine on with Debian packages. But no easy Remastersys apparently for Debian based systems.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Still weird: unless I am mistaken, Kendall is the lead for both Peppermint and Linux Mint LXDE. So back to: why not a LM-LXDE64b edition? But at this point I think I have beaten that mass of meat enough. :roll:
I would think Clem Had the final say if Lmint LXDE would be 64 bit (and I think the Peppermint 64 one wasn't released till after his Lmint one :?: ) Edit I think He also had a hand in the first 64Bit version of Lubuntu.

I don't think Kendall is the lead of the last LMDE, It was someone elses ISO. (Don't know many of the older developers seem to be into other projects these days :roll:

J.Jay

P.S. I wonder if Merlwitz(?) will be back if theirs a new LMint (Ubuntu)-XFCE spin?
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

seppalta wrote:LXDE over Mint LMDE 64-bit working great - see Section 21 inhttp://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/lubuntu.html. See the main Guide for putting Wine on with Debian packages. But no easy Remastersys apparently for Debian based systems.
The "cutting edge" of LMDE kinda freaks me out - this is my work machine (this machine working, or not, feeds my children, or not) and I need 99%+ reliability. Up to this point I have run only LM-LTS; I am on LM9-main right now. I will probably have a look at LM13 w/LXDE from that guide, when LM9 runs out, by then most of the bugs should be worked out. :mrgreen:
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

The "cutting edge" of LMDE kinda freaks me out...
I can understand that. I'm still experimenting. Most recently installed LXDE over an Xubuntu 12.04, XFCE. Was pleasantly surprised. LXDE and XFCE fit together nicely. Little duplication and little to remove. If it's stable, I'll probably place it ahead of Lubntu 64-bit and the after market Mints. Xubuntu 12.04 is long-term (at least 3 years), has a 3.2+ kernel, uses my favorite browser, Firefox, and can be remastersysed. I'll record my experience and put it up in a few weeks.
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

one of my favorite installations is an ubuntu 11.04, made from installing select packages over a bare netinstall.
it has lxde and firefox among other things. doing it with ubuntu 12.04 and debian 7 after that will be interesting for sure, and I might as well save a list of all installed packages to reproduce it.

you can make a great system that way. but with a linux mint lxde you have an out-of-the-box solution that you can give to illiterate users. well mint 13 xfce will serve that purpose and should be quite similar to xubuntu 12.04 with or without installing lxde over it.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

As reported above, I have been experimenting with after market LXDE installs on different 64-bit systems. For anyone interested, my conclusions follow. Mint 13 Mate is heavy with a lot of stuff to remove, but works well. Xubuntu 12 was easy to adapt and fast but has too many, mostly hidden (imaginary and/or real), crashes. The winner by far is LMDE. It was a little harder to set-up, although not much to remove, but once set-up, it has been the sharpest, most initially stable system that I have experienced. That includes systems that come with LXDE as default. My experiences, along with a recipe for copying Debian systems using Remastersys is recorded here: http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/lubuntu.html.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

The best of 5 worlds - LXDE, XFCE, Mint, Debian, 64-bit Speed: http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Debian.htm.
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

I'm waiting for mint 13 xfce, I'm confident that installing lxde over it will be good, similar to your experiment.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I am under the impression the only Mint XFCE is now the Debian one. If true, your wait could be a long one :( .
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

seppalta wrote:I am under the impression the only Mint XFCE is now the Debian one. If true, your wait could be a long one :( .
Clem noted that there will be a Mint 13 Xfce edition released.
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

I've installed Mint 13 Mate, and made it mimick LXDE.
actually the default setting looks and feels a lot like LXDE already!, if you replace the "mint menu" with the one called "main menu", and add workspace switcher you're done.
I further tweaked, with a top panel that contains launchers, CPU/RAM info, clock and tray icons etc.

so far, it's linux mint 13 main edition with Mate that will replace the LXDE edition for me :).

here's a screen capture for reference
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Also works well with the XFCE or Cinnamon version.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

The "cutting edge" of LMDE kinda freaks me out...
Really you think that? Most post state how stable (for a testing Deb) but apps behind times compared to Ubuntu based Mints.

The Mint13-XFCE RC is more a XFCEified Gnome (heavy default apps ect), probably not a good candidate to put LXDE over.

Their is a lighter (LMDE based distro using ICEWM) 32 bit only, that would make a good LXDE base. (Swift Linux) :wink:

On the Mint (Ubuntu front) the easiest is Lubuntu then Mintified)

J.Jay
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

A short question: Does having a 32bit debian base with a 64bit kernel count? I have both 32bit-pae kernel and amd64 kernel right now. Both seem to perform identically, IMO.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

A short question: Does having a 32bit debian base with a 64bit kernel count? I have both 32bit-pae kernel and amd64 kernel right now. Both seem to perform identically, IMO.
Yea know no problems their (I have) :)

Thou running a 32 bit OS when capable of 64 bit the 'Boot' takes longer (especially if have more than 4g memory).

P.S. I have 8g memory 32bit tends to take about half as long to boot (fast once boots thou) :?

J.Jay

Return to “Software & Applications”