Linux won't boot properly

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
big_dog1968

Linux won't boot properly

Post by big_dog1968 »

I installed the KDE version of Mint 4.0 Daryna, as a dual boot with a clean install of XP Professional updated to SP2. I had trouble getting the live DVD to work, but eventually got it up an running and installed it. When I boot, sometimes the boot completes normally and sometimes it hangs right after it gets to the puts up the first graphic. I have reinstalled it and had the same problem again. Are there any known issues with KDE version of Daryna, that would cause this to happen. The last few times I tried to boot linus it hung on the first welcome screen. The progress bar never starts.

I am not sure if hardware is the problem, but if it helps, I have ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor, DIAMOND 3850PE3256SB Radeon HD 3850 RV650, A-DATA Extreme Edition 2GB Dual Channel Memory.

Would Gnome version work better. I chose KDE, because so many of the programs I see for linux appear to be designed for KDE as opposed to Gnome. I have read that KDE has potentially a better appearance.
:? :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux won't boot properly

Post by NoClue! »

Gnome is the main edition and kde apps work fine in gnome. Indeed they have some use full stuff.
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

I had heard that when you install apps designed for a diff desktop, that you could slow down the OS or that the programs might not work properly or work slowly.
Is it just that the KDE version of Mint is not as reliable? Also, I have a 64 bit CPU, does the OS automatically detect that or is there a special version for 64 bit machines.

As you can tell, I am truly new and want to give Linux a good try to be at least equal to if not my main OS. I am tired of paying way too much for way too little with MS and its apps.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

On your equipment, nothing will be slow. I think the mint kde edition is still in beta. I urge you try gnome it's a very comfortable and capable desktop and as I said before kde apps work just fine. On my gnome desktop I use amarok (music), k3b (cd/dvd burning), and klibido (nzb file downloader) all kde based apps with no functionality issues.
big_dog1968

Re: Linux won't boot properly: Solved

Post by big_dog1968 »

Thanks for the suggestion.

I switched to the gnome version and everything is working fine, although coming from XP I'm probably not the first person to notice that the KDE GUI was a little more familiar to me, although gnome is very workable and I am quickly getting used to it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”