LXDE: Desktop and Home Folder Stubbornly Linked [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pa blum

LXDE: Desktop and Home Folder Stubbornly Linked [SOLVED]

Post by pa blum »

After no troubles with LXDE-Mint for a long time, File Mangler (sic) suddenly decided that all but one of my Home folders no longer existed. After restoring them from a three-day-old backup (phew!), I find that everything I do or undo on the Desktop or in the Desktop folder has exactly the same effect on my Home folder and vice-versa. So I have folder icons all over my desktop and program icon-files all over my Home folder. And I'm a "clean desk" type (max eight icons on the screen), so it's driving me nuts!
I've clicked every popup menu I can find and found no options for this, and I've tried to "fool" the Desktop by moving things into phony desktop folders, etc., to no avail, and I haven't succeeded with lengthy searches in this forum, either. Would someone please tell me how I can break this linkage so I can, e.g., delete folders from the Desktop without losing the actual data, and just generally get things back like they were before the wipe-out? Thanks! :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: LXDE: Desktop folder and Home Folder Stubbornly Linked

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Easy fix.
1. Make a new folder in your home folder called "Desktop" make sure you include the capital D.
2. Press Ctrl+H in the home folder to show hidden folders, go to the .config directory.
3. Right click on the user-dirs.dirs file and edit with Leafpad.
4. Look for this: "XDG_DESKTOP_DIR=(blah blah)" and make it so it looks like this "XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
5. Save file. Logout, log back in and the items will be gone....

POOF! Everything will go back to normal... *whispers* it's magicccc....
senseiski

Post by senseiski »

sagirfahmid3, you could've spared us the image, right?
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Meh, I just like memes. Got a problem with that o_O?
So, pa blum, did it work?
pa blum

Post by pa blum »

Whoa! I made sure the topic subscription box was checked and have been sitting around waiting for emails to arrive and feeling neglected. Sorry about that! I'll put your procedure into effect right away and let you know how it went.
Thanks ever so....
pa blum

Post by pa blum »

Yay! Your directions were perfect and worked great! Not only did it solve the problem, but everything came right up as desired, without having to do any kind of "clean up." Aye-mazin'!

Many thanks for the help. It's nice having things looking like I feel they should.... :D

Pete

Dang, now I can't find the thingy where I label the string as "solved." I hope one of youse guys will take care of it....
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

pa blum wrote:Dang, now I can't find the thingy where I label the string as "solved." I hope one of youse guys will take care of it....
No thingy here for that, just edit your original post and add [Solved] to the title.

Return to “Software & Applications”