How do I route audio?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ke1g

How do I route audio?

Post by ke1g »

Running Mint xfce 11 64 bit on a core i7 zareason laptop.

Sound works, in that if I play music or a video, sound comes out of the speakers.

But I have a (Logitech) wireless headset that I'd like to use so that my co-workers don't have to listen. (This headset worked in a few year old ubuntu.) When I plug in the dongle, the headset is apparently recognized, because it gets four entries in the mixer sound card list (a "mixer" - ALSA, a playback - Pulse, and two capture - both Pulse). But I can't figure out how to make the output of random programs, e.g.; banshee, go there. I've added all the controls that I can find in the mixer, but no joy.

I know the drivers work, because audacity, having its own source and output selectors, has no trouble recording from the headset mic and playing back through the headset earphones.

Can someone please hit me with a clue stick?

Bill
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BrianD

Re: How do I route audio?

Post by BrianD »

I believe the JACK server was created for exactly these purposes. Once it has been installed and properly configured*, you can set rules to define how audio is routed to/from your various input and output audio devices on your computer.

* (and, from what I've read, it's not for the faint of heart!)
ke1g

Re: How do I route audio?

Post by ke1g »

Thanks. I may eventually try JACK. I had been hoping that the volume control applet that comes installed by default just needed a kick in the configuration. I'm probably going to try to learn to use the ALSA command line tools before I got to JACK.

Bill

Return to “Sound”