Hello from Sweden!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mSorhall

Hello from Sweden!

Post by mSorhall »

Hello, my name is Mikael and I am a complete newbie to the world of Linux. I am looking forward to learning a lot of what you have to offer! :)

I am 18 years old and I live in Sweden.

If you guys feel like something were of big help when you were a newbie, please let me know :D I am not a person who want to learn something in 5 minutes, if I fail I give up. I know that Linux takes time to learn, and I am willing to use that time. :)

So far though I have learned that Ctrl+Alt+T opens up the Terminal, and Alt+F2 opens up a mini terminal. I also managed to run the 'Mintinstall' command which opened some kind of massive installer program. From there I installed 'guake' which is another kind of Terminal which I activate through pressing F12, and it is really cool. :)

This is already my favourite community. I've been strolling around in the various parts of it and everyone are so nice! Looking forward to meeting you all! :)

(Till alla svenska: Hej! :D)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Hello from Sweden!

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
HughT

Post by HughT »

Hi there, welcome to Mint, I hope you enjoy it.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Hej! Velkommen til Mint.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

mSorhall wrote:I know that Linux takes time to learn, and I am willing to use that time. :)
We should have a newbie of the month award, or something. This is an awesome attitude Mikael :mrgreen: So hi Mikael, and welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D

If you are going to spend time on the terminal, the http://ss64.com/bash/ may be a nice overview of some common commands. Three helpful commands are "man program", "whatis program", and "apropos terms". The man command will show you the manual page ("manpage") of a command, giving you (usually) a lot of information on how to use it (or get an idea why to use it if you are new to it :wink:). As an excercise to the reader, start with understanding the man command and then use it to find out about whatis and apropos :wink:

Code: Select all

man man
I read the manpage of any unknown command before using it. What else are you interested in learning about?

The most helpful learning tool for me has been VirtualBox. If you have a somewhat powerful computer (4 GB memory or more), go ahead and install VirtualBox. You can install it from the Software Manager, or mintinstall, or just:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install virtualbox
Then install another copy of Linux Mint inside VirtualBox, on what is called a virtual machine. You can start that virtual machine and it will run the other Linux Mint in a window like it is a program. It's like having another computer and you can tinker and experiment with it without fear of breaking your primary Linux Mint 8)

Be sure also to check out the Community website (ideas, tutorials, and hardware and software reviews), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding even more themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon. Also check the mintBox, the Linux Mint computer :wink:

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Halloj! 8)
defcon

Post by defcon »

Welcome :)
BlueKnight

Post by BlueKnight »

Hi, mSorhall! Good to know you are from Sweden!

Welcome to Linux Mint! The world's happiest Linux distribution. :D
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Hello from Sweden! & Thank you xenopeek

Post by jaderiver »

Welcome mSorhall. I'm a Mint newbie, too. Looking forward to crossing paths in the forums.

Really wanted to thank xenopeek for providing terminal commands which will help us understand... terminal commands.

Appreciatively,
jaderiver
Last edited by jaderiver on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
T-Mobile 5G or 4GLTE hotspot
; WiFi/Tether to Android hotspot
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to the forums!
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

Return to “Introduce Yourself”