Linux Mint Server?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
steveking

Linux Mint Server?

Post by steveking »

I was wandering if any of the developers had considered creating a server version of Linux Mint? Or is that treading on Ubuntu and Red Hats shoes too much? Or even a minimal install? Or is that not the angle of which you are aiming towards?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Linux Mint Server?

Post by remoulder »

Just what do you imagine the advantages of a mint server would be over ubuntu server? Mint's differences from ubuntu are by and large on the desktop which is not relevant on a server. Aside from this mint is a small team and just doesn't have this kind of resources.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
steveking

Post by steveking »

This is true, a small team wouldnt be able to manage both desktop and server side. I just wandered if it had been considered at all?
How about a minimal install though? I mean I like mint but there are a few things I don't use so it would be useful for the more advanced users to be able to select which packages they want to start with. Its quite a process having to go through and manually remove any programmes etc that you dont want.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Have a search over at the Community website, especially the ideas with status Rejected. Both a server edition and a minimal ISO have been proposed before, but rejected as the team is currently focused on the desktop.

Like remoulder shares (excellent point BTW), there would be no difference between a server / minimal ISO of Linux Mint vs. what Ubuntu is already offering. The differences between Linux Mint and Ubuntu are on the destkop :wink:
steveking

Post by steveking »

Well as I mainly use Linux Mint on a desktop then I wont worry. I was just wandering if there were any spin off projects I could get into.
kidx

Post by kidx »

Well instead of have a dos promt screen maybe you can make it like regular Mint Maya have a look at http://www.engardelinux.org/ somthing easy install like maya with beefed up security for server edition just an idea no one wants to go to a dos promt window and now days linux run so smooth that a GUI would not matter and thats easyer for the user like windows server you will have Mint Server more secure than ever.I might use mint for my server since i am sick of all those other Distro blocking you and stoping you from doing what you really wanna do.All in all this is focusing on teh desktop just take the desktop version and beef it up and prep it thats all or is there any server tools out there i might go into google mode lol again this is for my clan server i am not profiting at all just FYI i dont wanna get in to any trouble here.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”