My Year With Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

My Year With Linux

Post by KBD47 »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: My Year With Linux

Post by xenopeek »

KBD47 wrote:I've asked myself recently, "Would you recommend Linux to others?" If so, "What would you tell newcomers about Linux?"

I think my answer is best said in this way: Linux is free software, but what it costs you is time. If you have neither the time nor the patience to learn a new operating system, then you had better stick to Windows. But, if you are willing to give it a shot, and are not afraid to take some risks with a new operating system, I think in the end you will not regret leaving Windows behind.
Good article :D I think I agree with you on the above, mostly :wink: A new Windows version can be a pain on older hardware (or indeed newer hardware :shock:), as drivers have not been updated or released yet by the manufacturers for that Windows version. Some of your programs may also no longer work due to compatibility issues with the newer Windows version. Buying hardware per-installed with an operating system seems to be the best advice for users not wanting to invest time, so replace hardware & OS at the same time.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

KBD47 wrote:I think my answer is best said in this way: Linux is free software, but what it costs you is time. If you have neither the time nor the patience to learn a new operating system, then you had better stick to Windows. But, if you are willing to give it a shot, and are not afraid to take some risks with a new operating system, I think in the end you will not regret leaving Windows behind.
Well put indeed. I think this quote would be a nice addition to the first post of this thread, for example :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well, a lot happened since 2007 :wink:
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

xenopeek wrote: Good article :D I think I agree with you on the above, mostly :wink: A new Windows version can be a pain on older hardware (or indeed newer hardware :shock:), as drivers have not been updated or released yet by the manufacturers for that Windows version. Some of your programs may also no longer work due to compatibility issues with the newer Windows version. Buying hardware per-installed with an operating system seems to be the best advice for users not wanting to invest time, so replace hardware & OS at the same time.
Thanks Vincent! What you outline is the only fair comparison between Linux and Windows--trying to install both on either very old or brand new hardware that hasn't been configured for either. In that contest Linux might come out ahead :-) I've read some comments from those who have bought Linux systems from zareason? with matched hardware to Linux and have been very happy with their Linux computers.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Monsta wrote: Well put indeed. I think this quote would be a nice addition to the first post of this thread, for example :)

Thanks Monsta!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Yeah, I'd probably buy a Linux laptop from System76 or Zareason if they weren't so far away :wink: A good set of links to vendors offering desktops, laptops and tablets already installed with Linux is Linux Pre-loaded.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

xenopeek wrote:Yeah, I'd probably buy a Linux laptop from System76 or Zareason if they weren't so far away :wink: A good set of links to vendors offering desktops, laptops and tablets already installed with Linux is Linux Pre-loaded.
Thanks for that link! I hope we will see more OEMs putting Linux on computers.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I hope nobody missed it, but you can now buy a Linux Mint branded computer, pre-installed with Linux Mint :wink:

Read more about the mintBox: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2055
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

xenopeek wrote:I hope nobody missed it, but you can now buy a Linux Mint branded computer, pre-installed with Linux Mint :wink:

Read more about the mintBox: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2055
That is pretty cool :-)
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

KBD47 wrote:I think my answer is best said in this way: Linux is free software, but what it costs you is time. If you have neither the time nor the patience to learn a new operating system, then you had better stick to Windows. But, if you are willing to give it a shot, and are not afraid to take some risks with a new operating system, I think in the end you will not regret leaving Windows behind.
Whenever a Windows/MS-Office user ask me, "Is it hard to learn and use Linux/LibreOffice?" I tell them, "Let me put it this way: did you learn how to use a Windows system and Microsoft Office in just one sitting?" Naturally, they shake their head, and I continue, "Well, the same goes with a Linux system and Linux-based programs. Just as you invested a lot of time in learning Windows and Microsoft Office, you also have to spend some time learning about Linux and LibreOffice, being mindful of the differences between Win/MSO and *Nix/LO. You do not need to unlearn everything about Windows/MS-Office, though. The nice thing about this is you already have some foundation on how things work on a basic level, and all you need to do is adapt what you already know on a Linux system."
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Netherfox

Post by Netherfox »

I'm jealous that you guys even get to have conversations about linux. I don't know anyone who's interested in it.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Well said Pilosopong Tasyo!

Return to “Chat about Linux”