Linux Mint 13 - unable to open shared folders [Solved]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wswack

Linux Mint 13 - unable to open shared folders [Solved]

Post by wswack »

I have a laptop and a desktop with wired connection through a router. The laptop is running Linuxmint 9 (LM 9). I recently updated the desktop to from Ubuntu 10.10 to Linuxmint 13 (LM 13). There were no problems prior to updating.

LM 9 will open shares on LM 13 but, LM13 will not open shares on LM 9 with this message, “Unable to mount location – failed to retrieve share list from server.

I have experimented with various releases using VM on LM 13 with the following results:

1. Linuxmint 9 as guest will open shares on host (LM 13) but, not vice versa.
2. Ubuntu 10.10 as guest will open shares on host (LM 13) but, not vice versa.
3. Linuxmint 12 as guest will not open shares either way.
4. Linuxmint 13 as guest will not open shares either way.

After an exorbitant amount of time with Google I haven't found any satisfactory answers and I need help. What simple thing am I missing or are later Ubuntu based distributions just not able to network properly?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint 13 - unable to open shared folders

Post by altair4 »

Take a look at this HowTo and see if anything applies to server and client:
Samba Browsing Problems Checklist: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 46&start=0

It's been my experience that the error message you received is usually because of items [3] and/or [4].

Worst case posting the output of the following command might give us some insight as to the cause of the error message:

Code: Select all

smbtree
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
wswack

Re: Linux Mint 13 - unable to open shared folders [Solved]

Post by wswack »

Thankyou Altair4. I had already reviewed that post. Went back on your suggestion. No. 4 was the answer. There should be an easier to find way.

Return to “Networking”