The "Freeze" is coming - what will you do?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

i will stay in testing enjoying a relaxing time
64%
i will move to sid to get my "update fix"
5%
i will cherry-pick some pkgs from sid
26%
something else
5%

Total votes: 39

zerozero

Post by zerozero »

June is the freezing month for debian testing here.
this means that we won't see real activity here until fev. next year (more or less) when wheezy (the next debian stable) is released and testing can resume again *his* crazy ride :lol:

so, the question here is: what are "we" going to do in the meantime?
- i would love to hear from you 8)

some additional notes:
1- this is a pole for lmde-testing (goes without saying i guess :D )
2- you can re-vote (these almost 6 months are a long time and you can change your mind);
3- please elaborate the "something else".
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
defcon

Re: The "Freeze" is coming - what will you do?

Post by defcon »

I think i update some packages from sid, like Gimp 2.8
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I think I'll spend more time enjoying the warm weather.
Maybe clean up my desktop, still have a spindle of about 200 disks I need to sort though, to see what I can get rid of. Maybe also delete some of the old files off the external hard drives.
Plus I have Lisa and Maya to play with on the other computer. :)

BTW: I thought Gimp just updated in testing to 2.8, it's on mine and a don't remember doing anything but updating.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

I cast the first "something else" vote :D

I have no end of fun lately trying to build non-existent LMDE versions such as pure MATE, pure Cinnamon, a pure GNOME Shell version (my latest), starting from a CLI environment created with a netinstall iso. I can install debian-system-adjustments and mintsystem packages to get LMDE branding and subtle Mint styling cues like hidden update button in Synaptic, etc. Also install MDM with Mint theme so login is authentic looking. However, I cannot install certain Mint packages like mint-artwork-debian or mint-meta-codecs due to broken dependencies when running against Debian testing repos.

So, my "something else" will be to hope/pray that the packages.linuxmint.com debian repo gets updated to fully work against frozen testing :lol:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i'm surprised :lol: not one i will move to sid vote until now.
mine (in the foreseeable future :mrgreen: ) is staying with testing.
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Re: The "Freeze" is coming - what will you do?

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

squeezy wrote:I cast the first "something else" vote :D

I have no end of fun lately trying to build non-existent LMDE versions such as pure MATE, pure Cinnamon, a pure GNOME Shell version (my latest), starting from a CLI environment created with a netinstall iso. I can install debian-system-adjustments and mintsystem packages to get LMDE branding and subtle Mint styling cues like hidden update button in Synaptic, etc. Also install MDM with Mint theme so login is authentic looking. However, I cannot install certain Mint packages like mint-artwork-debian or mint-meta-codecs due to broken dependencies when running against Debian testing repos.

So, my "something else" will be to hope/pray that the packages.linuxmint.com debian repo gets updated to fully work against frozen testing :lol:
Mint meta codecs isnt necessary; you can install the codecs individually and it works just the same. The reason it breaks is because its a meta package of specific versions of codecs that doesn't update individual ones (back with the original LMDE based off pure Debian Testing, it broke all the time) I can even give you my list of codecs to install that I use on my HTS.

Not sure why the artwork wouldn't work though. That is odd.

I like my coffee like I like my women: from anywhere other than Starbucks.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
Ken_g6

Post by Ken_g6 »

I might be interested in cherry-picking something like Firefox 13 from Sid. But I can't find any info on how to do that. :?:
rop75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rop75 »

Hi, I voted the first option (I will track testing). Anyway, i think that the right question would be The "Freeze" is coming - what will Clem & friends will do?. Ltest/incoming repos only make sense as long as testing is not frozen. But, from my point of view once testing freezes, testing becomes pretty "stable", and tracking latest repos is nearly pointless (and so maintaining these repos is)
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

Stick with testing. The real question is what happens when testing becomes stable.
squeezy

Re: Re: The

Post by squeezy »

LifeInTheGrey wrote:Mint meta codecs isnt necessary; you can install the codecs individually and it works just the same. The reason it breaks is because its a meta package of specific versions of codecs that doesn't update individual ones (back with the original LMDE based off pure Debian Testing, it broke all the time) I can even give you my list of codecs to install that I use on my HTS.

Not sure why the artwork wouldn't work though. That is odd.
Yeah, I end up just adding whatever I need manually. The meta package depends on gstreamer0.10-esd and gstreamer0.10-pitfdll which are no longer in the repository. No biggy, I'm not a power user for multimedia. If I can play my MP3s I'm happy :D

Artwork meta package won't install due to a missing gtk2-engines-clearlooks package. Same deal there, I just install what I want manually.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Ken_g6 wrote:I might be interested in cherry-picking something like Firefox 13 from Sid. But I can't find any info on how to do that. :?:
And you won't either. You can't get Firefox from a Debian repo, you'd have to settle for Iceweasel. You can get Firefox from some Mozilla repo I think. Not sure which one.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

pluraldave wrote:Stick with testing. The real question is what happens when testing becomes stable.
we start the adventure once again :D into debian 8? or there was another meaning in your question?
rop75 wrote:Hi, I voted the first option (I will track testing). Anyway, i think that the right question would be The "Freeze" is coming - what will Clem & friends will do?. Ltest/incoming repos only make sense as long as testing is not frozen. But, from my point of view once testing freezes, testing becomes pretty "stable", and tracking latest repos is nearly pointless (and so maintaining these repos is)
although long, the freeze is temporary (more or less 6 months) so makes all the sense to maintain latest/incoming for the year and a half (roughly) of development cycle.
squeezy wrote:
Ken_g6 wrote:I might be interested in cherry-picking something like Firefox 13 from Sid. But I can't find any info on how to do that. :?:
And you won't either. You can't get Firefox from a Debian repo, you'd have to settle for Iceweasel. You can get Firefox from some Mozilla repo I think. Not sure which one.

ahh FF :lol: :lol: FF/TB are maintained by mint (in lmde) FF12 came 10-12 days after public release, if you can't wait that time use
http://mozilla.debian.net/
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

zerozero wrote:
pluraldave wrote:Stick with testing. The real question is what happens when testing becomes stable.
we start the adventure once again :D into debian 8? or there was another meaning in your question?
Well possibly into 7 and track stable once Gnome-shell is in...

but then in 6 months (let alone 2 years) there might already be enough updated software that I am tempted to stick with testing. :p
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Be bored, since sid also gets more or less frozen.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

and the date is set: june, 30th as squeezy shared here.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Perhaps by then I'll actually be on sid, but the freeze probably own't affect me too much since I'm currently on Testing. Of course I may be wrong about that but what's life without finding out you're wrong about things from time to time.
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

I'll do what I've always done, stick with testing and pull packages I need from Sid. So LMDE will continue to track testing through the freeze? I was hoping that work would start on an Update Pack pulling from current unstable, Debian 8.
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

I tend to cherry-pick some packages from Sid anyway. I did that for Gnome Shell 3.2 back when Testing was at 3.0, as the newer version was so much better. So occasionally my OS is in a weird hybrid Testing/Sid state which probably isn't a good idea, but it's worked well for me so far. However, now that Gnome 3 (and its variants) are beginning to calm down and mature, I see less of a reason for me to do that any more. Testing is working pretty well for me right now and there isn't much in Sid that will entice me to update atm.

So I think I'll ride out the freeze period unless something crops up on Sid that lures me into it. Now if only the weather over here was 'working well' too... :mrgreen:
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

Staying put, zz. XFCE 4.10 didn't come close to making it into Wheezy, but from what I've seen, we're looking at modest (very) XFCE development. No problem. I won't be grabbing it from sid. But since clem is doing an Ubuntu-based XFCE, maybe he pushes 4.10 on his end.

My only issue with Testing right now has been that the new Xorg server version doesn't play at all with the latest AMD/ATI video driver: http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary#Wheezy

"On wheezy fglrx-driver is not available, see #671320". All they had to do is release one more time. nVidia is the much better option for Testing.

For those thinking about Firefox, see this: http://www.libre-software.net/how-to-in ... linux-mint

It has worked like a charm every time a new FF version comes out.

I read that there are 1000 bugs to be worked out in Wheezy. I guess it depends on the DE. XFCE has really been a problem free. Looking forward to the downtime.

Return to “LMDE Archive”