Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnamon

Postby CreamCorn on Tue May 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Linux Mint 13 with Cinnamon comes with a screen capture utility called 'Screenshot' by default. When I try to use that utility or if I try to press the 'print screen' button on my keyboard to capture everything on screen, it almost always ends up capturing all black.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
CreamCorn
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby HartKnight on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:27 pm

I'm having a similar problem with gnome-screenshot also on Linux Mint 13 (Cinnamon).

When pressing "Print Screen" or "Alt+Print Screen" the screen quickly flashes, but the dialog box to save doesn't appear. When starting and using the program from the mintMenu, taking a screenshot from here works as expected, but the image saved isn't what's currently on screen at the time. It's either what's behind what I wanted to capture or it was of what was on screen awhile ago and has been closed. Any ideas? Thanks.
HartKnight
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby minties on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:40 pm

Are both of the above posters running Mint as a Virtual Machine? I had similar problems running Cinnamon in VirtualBox, but the screenshot problems disappeared when installing to the hdd.
Mint 13 Maya 64-bit
minties
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:15 am

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby HartKnight on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:25 am

minties wrote:Are both of the above posters running Mint as a Virtual Machine? I had similar problems running Cinnamon in VirtualBox, but the screenshot problems disappeared when installing to the hdd.


I'd have no problem mentioning it was on a VM if it were. LM13 is on a solid state drive if that difference matters, but I doubt it would.
HartKnight
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby HartKnight on Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:20 pm

I installed and tried out Shutter for screenshots and the same problems come up. I'm guessing it has something to do with my display drivers.

INFO
Processor: 4x AMD A6-3670 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
Memory: 7651MB
Operating System: Linux Mint 13 (Cinnamon; 64-bit)
-Display-
OpenGL Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6530D
ATI/AMD FGLRX graphics driver (enabled)
HartKnight
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby SayanRedDevil on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:43 am

HartKnight wrote:I'm having a similar problem with gnome-screenshot also on Linux Mint 13 (Cinnamon).

When pressing "Print Screen" or "Alt+Print Screen" the screen quickly flashes, but the dialog box to save doesn't appear. When starting and using the program from the mintMenu, taking a screenshot from here works as expected, but the image saved isn't what's currently on screen at the time. It's either what's behind what I wanted to capture or it was of what was on screen awhile ago and has been closed. Any ideas? Thanks.



I am facing the same problem, shutter also doesn't work. It captures what was in the screen a while ago, when I first installed Mint13-cinnamon, this problem wasn't there. It is happening since past two days, so I am guessing some changes I made may have affected some settings. If I only knew what was that :|

Please help to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Sayan Acharjee
Bangalore, India
SayanRedDevil
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:37 am

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby twodogs on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:03 am

I have created an alias --> alias screenshot='gnome-screenshot --interactive'

You can also just open a terminal and enter
Code: Select all
gnome-screenshot --interactive


Hope this helps for now.
User avatar
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:18 pm

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby SayanRedDevil on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:17 pm

twodogs wrote:I have created an alias --> alias screenshot='gnome-screenshot --interactive'

You can also just open a terminal and enter
Code: Select all
gnome-screenshot --interactive


Hope this helps for now.


Doesn't help man, still not getting the current screenshot. It's showing how the screen was a while ago, not current :(
SayanRedDevil
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:37 am

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby CreamCorn on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:40 pm

Is everyone having this problem running the following?

OS: Linux Mint 13
Desktop: Cinnamon
GPU: AMD Radeon
Drivers: AMD Catalyst 12.4

I *suspect* this problem could be unique to Cinnamon users with AMD Radeon graphics using the official AMD Catalyst drivers.
CreamCorn
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby SayanRedDevil on Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:26 am

CreamCorn wrote:Is everyone having this problem running the following?

OS: Linux Mint 13
Desktop: Cinnamon
GPU: AMD Radeon
Drivers: AMD Catalyst 12.4

I *suspect* this problem could be unique to Cinnamon users with AMD Radeon graphics using the official AMD Catalyst drivers.


This is the ouput of "inxi -G" , It's something about setting i guess as it was working fine when I first installed, what happened suddenly I don't know :|


Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series]
X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: ati,fglrx (unloaded: vesa,fbdev,radeon) Resolution: 1366x768@60.1hz
GLX Renderer: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series GLX Version: 4.2.11627 - CPC
SayanRedDevil
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:37 am

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby cosarara97 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:08 am

When I press the print screen button there is a flash but the window doesn't appear.
I ran gnome-screenshot in a terminal and the same happened, giving me the following error:
** (gnome-screenshot:29378): WARNING **: Unable to use GNOME Shell's builtin screenshot interface, resorting to fallback X11. Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.Shell was not provided by any .service files

I have an intel integrated graphics card (which doesn't let me play the games I bought in humblebundle :( ), so it's a problem with cinnamon, not the Catalyst drivers...
cosarara97
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 9:07 am

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby SayanRedDevil on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:28 pm

cosarara97 wrote:When I press the print screen button there is a flash but the window doesn't appear.
I ran gnome-screenshot in a terminal and the same happened, giving me the following error:
** (gnome-screenshot:29378): WARNING **: Unable to use GNOME Shell's builtin screenshot interface, resorting to fallback X11. Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.Shell was not provided by any .service files

I have an intel integrated graphics card (which doesn't let me play the games I bought in humblebundle :( ), so it's a problem with cinnamon, not the Catalyst drivers...

Well, from the terminal i am getting the same error but when I press printscreen, a flash comes and the pictures gets saved automatically in the Pictures folder. My problem is, the screeshot is never current :|
SayanRedDevil
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:37 am

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby compazter on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:11 am

I think the screenshot picture is automatic store in picture folder without notification, just check it out.

Sorry for my bad english
compazter
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:24 pm

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby CtrlAltDel on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:50 pm

CreamCorn wrote:Is everyone having this problem running the following?

OS: Linux Mint 13
Desktop: Cinnamon
GPU: AMD Radeon
Drivers: AMD Catalyst 12.4

I *suspect* this problem could be unique to Cinnamon users with AMD Radeon graphics using the official AMD Catalyst drivers.


Nope. I have the same issue with an Intel Graphics HD 2000 integrated chip running Mint 13 Mate with Compiz.

Print screen key simply doesn't work. No blink, no flash, no nothing when pressed. I am, as HartKnight mentioned, able to use the screenshot program that comes with the default installation. Unlike his situation, the program works fine and does normally for me.

I just gave up on the PrintScreen key ever working and, since I had to revert to Compiz to solve video issues, use the screenshot tool located there. Now I hold down the Super button and drag the mouse to encompass whatever area I wish and it pops up an image viewer of my choice with the area I selected in it when I release the mouse button.

Not what I wanted but, it works for the time being. Until someone in this thread tells us how to get it right. :-)
Image
i3-2120 Processor
Intel HD Graphics 2000
8 GB Memory - 1 TB HD
Mint 17 Cinnamon 64bit
User avatar
CtrlAltDel
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:01 pm
Location: Birmingham, AL., USA

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby HartKnight on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:39 pm

I tried Gnome Screenshot in a regular Gnome session and it was actually working good there. I've only had problems when logged in under Cinnamon.

The time difference from what I get in the screenshot and when I actually took it is an hour and 23 minutes.

Image
HartKnight
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby SayanRedDevil on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:49 pm

HartKnight wrote:I tried Gnome Screenshot in a regular Gnome session and it was actually working good there. I've only had problems when logged in under Cinnamon.

The time difference from what I get in the screenshot and when I actually took it is an hour and 23 minutes.

Image



For me, the time difference is 3 minutes. :|
SayanRedDevil
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:37 am

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby lutterworth on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:31 am

same problem here

gnome-screenshot --interactive

works, but boring solution since hitting the printbutton should do the thing....

and the printbuttn does not work, i mean screen flashes but the screenshot is not saved.

i guess some professional help would do!

?? pleahse!

best

lutter
User avatar
lutterworth
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:02 am
Location: germany

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby dlalonde on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:28 pm

I have the exact same problem! It's like the card keeps the image in memory.

It happens on other occasions as well. Read my thread and check if you have the same symptoms. Maybe if we're more than one we'll be able to figure this all out!

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=103439
dlalonde
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby lutterworth on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:14 pm

i "solved"it in a way....

go to keyboard shortcuts and put

Code: Select all
gnome-screenshot --interactive


on the print button that normally delivers the screenshot.

hitting the button you are confronted with the options and then you do the shot

not so bad?

greez

lutter
User avatar
lutterworth
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:02 am
Location: germany

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Postby HartKnight on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:25 pm

gnome-screenshot --interactive (aka going to Accessories → Screenshot) doesn't change anything for the better. Neither does hitting "Print Screen." My problem isn't that it doesn't take screenshots. It does that. It just doesn't take a current one.

Image

Just took another one quickly and the time difference was 6 hours.
HartKnight
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
Next

Return to Software & Applications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: karlchen, Pastcal and 19 guests