[SOLVED] Firefox Nightly and Tor Installation

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
foxtrot99

[SOLVED] Firefox Nightly and Tor Installation

Post by foxtrot99 »

I've tried 'installing' it for days now. I've removed (sudo apt-get purge firefox) the FF browser that's included with Mint and tried installing Nightly (sudo apt-get install firefox) but I keep getting server errors.

I've read forum post after forum post, I've watched video tutorials on how to install tar.bz2 files but cannot get Nightly up and running. I HAVE been able to open it but when I close the browser I have to sift through all the extracted files and open it that way.

Tor is another program. I get confirmation it was successfully installed but can't get it working. When I click to start Tor Browser it opens Gedit.

Also.. Using Mint 13 Cinnamon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Firefox Nightly and Tor Installation

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

You should be able to install nightly with:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firefox-trunk
You will find it in the menu as "Nightly Web Browser". No need to uninstall Firefox (perhaps a good idea to have a stable browser as backup installed).

If you need localization, add the firefox-trunk-locale-?? package, where you replace ?? with your two letter language code.

Found all this out, by looking at the package description on the PPA website: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-d ... /+packages Just expand (with the little triangle icon in front of it) the top package and scroll down, you can see the list of "Build packages".

I don't know about Tor; I would recommend the Tor Browser Bundle instead: https://www.torproject.org/download/dow ... l.en#linux
foxtrot99

Re: Firefox Nightly and Tor Installation

Post by foxtrot99 »

Nightly is now installed. Thanks Vincent.

Return to “Software & Applications”