Program suggestion for backing up a dual boot system??

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
miner_tom

Program suggestion for backing up a dual boot system??

Post by miner_tom »

Hi to the community. I have used linux off and on for many years. Mostly off for the last 5.

I just loaded Mint Debian onto a disk with Win 7. I have Acronis backup but this question does not concern Acronis. I tried doing a whole disk backup and of course, GRUB was wiped out. Found out that this is "normal" so I tried reinstalling GRUB but failed at it. Fortunately, this disk was used only for this test and I have a saved disk with both operating systems working on it.

I Realized that I am spending way more time working ON my computer than working AT it so I am asking this question: Is there a good backup program out there for doing backups on a dual boot system that does no harm to either OS?

On thing that I have thought of, and please don't laugh, is to NOT have a dual boot system and use one disk for Win 7 and one disk for Mint. I could then just boot through the BIOS. Yes, it is a bit of a pain but then I could use a win based program (like Acronis) for backing up the windows disk and some debian based backup program for backing up the linux disk.

So, is there a reliable solution?

Thank You
Tom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintybits

Re: Program suggestion for backing up a dual boot system??

Post by mintybits »

miner_tom wrote:On thing that I have thought of, and please don't laugh, is to NOT have a dual boot system and use one disk for Win 7 and one disk for Mint. I could then just boot through the BIOS. Yes, it is a bit of a pain but then I could use a win based program (like Acronis) for backing up the windows disk and some debian based backup program for backing up the linux disk.
That's what I would do if I didn't mind buying a new disk.
You needn't select the OS at boot time via BIOS...you can select via Grub menu if the BIOS is set to boot the linux disk first. Just make absolutely sure Grub is not accidentally installed to the Windows disk (physically disconnect the Windows disk to make sure!). Then you can normally boot via Grub or go back to choose to boot the Windows disk directly using the BIOS if you need to.

Windows and linux don't not mix well on the same HD because Grub breaks the standard MBR boot system. I am guessing Acronis correctly reinstates the MBR boot code and thus disables Grub. Unfortunately, linux/Grub was not designed to comply with the MBR boot system.
ukbrian

Re: Program suggestion for backing up a dual boot system??

Post by ukbrian »

This method might give you another option and allow you to continue with acronis
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/04/23/ho ... windows-7/

Return to “LMDE Archive”