Loyal Mint User, Frustratred as hell

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
efc-techzonez

Loyal Mint User, Frustratred as hell

Post by efc-techzonez »

I have been a Mint user since version 7. I upgraded each time there was a new release. Things have gone well until release of Mint Linux 13 Maya. Mint 12 worked great, Mint 13 has been a bust at all levels. I have installed Mint 13 64-bit three times, and LMDE 64-bit twice. In none of these attempts have I been able to configure sound or the network printer.
The fixes provided in this forum have not worked. This leaves me with the decision to keep trying to fix the problem, to try a new install or to go all the way back to version 12.

This issue needs to be high priority for our community. It is the kind of thing that can drive users to another product.

Help requested

4-core AMD
internal audio
on a network with 3 to 6 other computers
Print Server
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Loyal Mint User, Frustratred as hell

Post by cmost »

Sound and network printers work perfectly for me. Can you give more technical detail about your problem (i.e., hardware you're using, network setup, model of printer, error messages and logs, etc.) A rant about how Mint 13 and LMDE are crap does not allow us to assist you. Since you claim this should be a top priority, one would think you'd be prepared to help us help you.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

only one post from the OP. Try posting and actually asking for help.

To start post the following

output of lspci -nn

inxi -Sr

And what you have done to fix the problems.

Trouble shooting ALSA on Debian - LinuxQuestions.org : http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... bian-3018/

SystemPrinting - Debian Wiki : http://wiki.debian.org/SystemPrinting

Setup CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System) Server and Client in Debian : http://www.debianadmin.com/setup-cups-c ... ebian.html
efc-techzonez

Post by efc-techzonez »

Solved "sort of". Stepped back to Mint 12. I would rather use the newer OS, but that is clearly above my knowledge level.

Sorry that it has taken several days for me to respond. I am in the middle of some health issues that are monopolizing a lot of my time.

This may not be the proper place to deal with this issue, however it eveloved from this post. I have been around a while. My first hands-on experience with a computer was an IBM 360 in college way back in 1970. Virtually all of my computer experience is in the arena of using a properly set-up computer to gain additional capability or knowledge. Computer systems that I worked with were repositories of information that could be retrieved for decision making. Early on, I never cared about the equipment or how it worked. The IT department was there to take care of that.

Later on the personal computer was added into the mix. The IT department saw the PC as a threat. They quickly established very strict usage rules. In my world, it could take months just to add a new field to an existing data base.

Now I am retired. The computer is an instrument that keeps me engaged. I am alwasys installing a different OS on one of my computer, just to check it out. My favorite since ver 7, is Mint. It has been on my main computer for 4 to 5 years. I believe that Mint has made some wrong turns in recent distributions. Having installed various versions of Mint on a variety of machines, sound has not been an issue until recently. Also printer installation has changed recently. Mint used to be good a finding a network printer. Now when attemping to install a new printer you get a window that contains the following:

"FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall."

Have attempted to install missing services, however packages are identified differently in repositories. Cautious - not wanting to install the wrong thing. Apparently these services were present in earlier distro's. Why take them out?

Last comment and I will go away. Mint like every other OS is in compentition with everyone else. The Windows user that attempts to install any Linux product will quickly dump it if he/she runs into problems that cannot be easily fixed. Wish I had the skills to help with that endeavor.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

efc-techzonez wrote:I believe that Mint has made some wrong turns in recent distributions.
I wouldn't disagree with that, probably because I don't get that excited by eye candy or animation effects for desktop screens, mainly I want the OS to boot and run applications i select, and if I need windows apps I usually use a VM, such as Oracle/Sun's virtualbox or a separate machine just for windows' or maybe dos games..

You need the hardware specs: brand/model numbers for specific help
  • And, since you have a print server, the issue will be server software support for that manufacturer's device: print server
    --how the network connection requirements are stated to function, such as the protocols being supported, eg IPP (Internet Printing Protocol, the method that web pages use to print to a local/internal network printer
    --also which printer is being used (the print device on that print server) ..
etc etc!
--then say what specifically is tried and does not work for you: and provide the path, such as how you are printing to the device!
efc-techzonez wrote:Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client
I don't know why it indicates firewall needed, since it is really avahi + the other protocols you indicated
--unfortunately for me Samba (a cifs kludge (reverse engineered protocol), although a good one is installed by default in the belief that people will want to share windows OS folders ?
  • I don't, and I could always use only the protocol (in the repositories cifs-util I think!), without the extra Samaba resources: client/server
Network print server bugs..
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/213081

Instead of using the GUI, Gnome print manager, I usually prefer to look at the cups (client..)

Code: Select all

127.0.0.1:631
localhost:631 
--as the method to see all the data belonging to a printer, and the ability to easily add/remove it
Last edited by DrHu on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

"FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall."
That's not Mint - That's Gnome3

For example, had you run the following command:

Code: Select all

system-config-printer
You would have brought up the old utility to configure your printer and not receive that error message. Granted there would have been no way for you to know that without asking or searching the forum.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
efc-techzonez

Re: Loyal Mint User, Frustratred as hell (Solved)

Post by efc-techzonez »

For altair4 - your suggestion worked.
helgatheviking

Post by helgatheviking »

sympathy post: it doesn't help you at all, but i feel your pain. mint 13 has me swearing up a storm and real close to swearing off linux completely. sometimes it can be tough to actually ask for help properly when you're pissed off.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

helgatheviking wrote:sometimes it can be tough to actually ask for help properly when you're pissed off.
If those aren't words to live by I don't know what is. This is going in myfortunes, and I'm sharing it the guys on Twitter/Big Face.

Return to “LMDE Archive”