ATI Drivers for 3850

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
big_dog1968

ATI Drivers for 3850

Post by big_dog1968 »

New Question:
I went ot ATI's website to see if there is a Linux driver for my very recent Radeon 3850. There did not seem to be one. I am looking for a better driver than that which installed automatically, because I received an error message saying that to display the 3d version of a game, I needed the proprietary version of the driver. Not sure what that meant. I have noticed other issued with 2d graphics as well.

Is there a way to easily check what driver I have installed now and to upgrade to a better/newer driver if one exists??

I used Automatix for this when I tried ubuntu. Will it work with mint for this purpose?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Re: ATI Drivers for 3850

Post by NoClue! »

Use envy to install the ati drivers. system tools>envy. I can only assume you will be looking for compiz soon. After you install the driver go to preferences>appearance>visual effects>custom and enable the proprietary driver. If all is well hold down ctrl, alt and left or right arrow key and the desktop should spin rather quickly. Now go to the package manager click search and type in compiz config settings manager, mark this package for installation and click apply. You will have a new entry in preferences>advanced desktop effects it's here you will be able to enable all the cool effects.
big_dog1968

Re: ATI Drivers for 3850

Post by big_dog1968 »

No clue, I appreciated your help, but I am back to the old problem of not being able to boot! I don't know what it is? Mint, might not like my hardware. Not sure, but I have now tried both KDE and Gnome versions and it is the same pattern. It boots okay the first couple maybe few times and then next time, when I get to the first splash screen with the progress bar, it freezez, with no HD activity. It just stops in its tracks. I have no clue (no pun intended) confused the problem is.

I plan to try both the 32 and 64 bit versions of ubuntu to see if there is a difference, and if not then maybe wait until the next release. If anyone has any suggestions bast on my other posts about the failed boot as to what I can do or maybe what I am doing, I'd appreciate the help. :(

Return to “Beginner Questions”