How to get Skype using your webcam mic

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
on4aa

How to get Skype using your webcam mic

Post by on4aa »

First of all, get a webcam that is known to work with Linux.
I am having a lot of luck recently with cheap (€15), low-featured LogiTech webcams like the C250 & E3500 which work literally plug-and-play out-of-the-box under GNU/Linux.
(My Windows-era dead-expensive €99 Creative Live!Cam Voice would not work under GNU/Linux.)

However, after installing LMDE XFCE I was having a problem with Skype not willing to use the webcam microphone nor my rear internal mic.
Running alsamixer or deleting its .conf file would not solve my issue.

Then I learned about this little jewel from the Arch fora...

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
It allows one to configure sound channels in a GUI.
I am now very happy to see Skype automatically grab the webcam mic. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Schoelje

Re: How to get Skype using your webcam mic

Post by Schoelje »

Another approach if you're using ALSA:
Get a list with devices

arecord -L
Example output for USB camera:
  • default:CARD=U0x4710x329
    USB Device 0x471:0x329, USB Audio
    Default Audio Device
Use this info to select the right device in Skype's microphone settings.
vincezd

Post by vincezd »

Hi,
I know it isn't the exact topic, but since skype isn't free software (as in freedom), I'd like to point out that we have excellent alternatives to skype in linux :
- empathy
- linphone (windows, linux, mac)
- ekiga (window$, linux)
If you, and your friends, have a google account, you can start using empathy. Register your account, right clic on your contact and choose "video call". It is that simple.

But we would prefer using something else that google's services, something that is free, doesn't collect our data and is fully distributed, just like the web. To do so, we shall create a *jabber* account. Jabber is an open communication protocol for tchat and video calls. Actually, google uses jabber. Many organizations provide jabber accounts. My suggestion is to install gajim :

sudo aptitude install gajim
launch it : it will offer to create an account. Just choose a server in the list. (beware : you can't use your google's username, since it is already registered as a jabber account !)
Then register this new account in empathy, right click on your contact and choose "video call" !

Linphone and Ekiga are other software that work on their own and that I never really tried.

That's it :)
asdfasdf

Post by asdfasdf »

on4aa wrote:First of all, get a webcam that is known to work with Linux.
I am having a lot of luck recently with cheap (€15), low-featured LogiTech webcams like the C250 & E3500 which work literally plug-and-play out-of-the-box under GNU/Linux.
(My Windows-era dead-expensive €99 Creative Live!Cam Voice would not work under GNU/Linux.)

However, after installing LMDE XFCE I was having a problem with Skype not willing to use the webcam microphone nor my rear internal mic.
Running alsamixer or deleting its .conf file would not solve my issue.

Then I learned about this little jewel from the Arch fora...

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
It allows one to configure sound channels in a GUI.
I am now very happy to see Skype automatically grab the webcam mic. :D
Thanks. For some reason, my LMDE lost the microphone settings menu in control center (and no, there have been no updates of any type to the system so this is rather inexplicable), but a quick search found your posting about pavucontrol, which worked just fine to reconfigure the microphone settings.

Return to “LMDE Archive”